List of San Diego bike paths
The following is a list of bike paths starting from the
Baja Californiaborder and ending where the wikipedia article List of Los Angeles bike pathspicks up. Bikeways in California are divided into "classes":
* Class 1 Bikeway - "Bike Path" - Completely separate from traffic.
* Class 2 Bikeway - "Bike Lane" - Space on the road (almost always at the edge) separated by a 6" wide solid (except at some intersection approaches where it is dashed) stripe set aside on city streets primarily for bikes. California traffic laws state that cars may only pull into a bike lane when within 200 feet of making a right turn, and are required to do so before making the turn. On streets with onstreet parallel parking, bike lanes are painted at least partially in the
door zoneof parked cars, the sudden opening of which is a common cause of injuries to cyclists. The most common cause of injuries in these lanes is from automobiles making a right turn in front of a cyclist after passing the cyclist. This is due to motorists not being accustomed to watching for traffic on their right when they are in the "slow lane", and due to bicyclists not being accustomed to looking back and merging left to avoid going straight from the right side of the road.
* Class 3 Bikeway - Bike Route - Allegedly "bike friendly" city streets connected into a means of getting from one place to another on a bike.
It should be noted that when riding on these bike paths (Class I) you will be completely uncovered by any warranties as regards their fitness for safe cycling. In other words, if there is a dangerous hazard as a result of the construction standard of the bikepath and you are injured you cannot sue the City or Council of San Diego to cover your medical expenses. This is in direct contrast to ordinary city streets. There are two pieces of case law which establish this clearly, one of them being Prokoff vs City of L.A.
In California, when mounted and riding on the road, cyclists are required to "act like drivers of vehicles" when it comes to obeying signals, signage, lane restrictions and the rules of the road (see the [http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/driver_handbook_toc.htm "California Driver Handbook"] for details). In brief: Riders are to ride with traffic, yielding to faster traffic unobtrusively to the right when practicable, merging with a "true lane" of traffic when faster traffic is not present, the lane is too narrow to be safely shared, or when preparing for turning left.
The following is a list of links to more information about San Diego and North County bicycle paths created by the people who visit this site. Upon adding a bike path to the list, please include what class the bike path is (see above) and a link to a webpage including a map of the route, directions to the route, a brief description of the route, the length of the route, an approximation of elevation gain/loss on the route, and preferably pictures of the route.
* For a free map of all officially recognized San Dieogo bike paths call 1-800-COMMUTE and select option 3 to request a copy, or request one from the Ridelink website at [http://www.ridelink.org/about/contact_us.asp http://www.ridelink.org]
Mission Bay bike pathnear SeaWorld
San Luis Rey River bike pathin Oceanside
Silver Strand bikeway, a.k.a. "Bayshore bikeway", formerly Bayshore bike route, locally known as " Coronado" or " Coronadoto Imperial Beach"
Camp Pendleton Bike Routein San Diego County: Class 1 while south of the campgrounds at San Onofre State Park. Class 2/3 elsewhere.
* [http://www.sunset.com/sunset/Premium/Travel/1999/09-Sep/Bike0999/Bike0999.html "The West's best bike rides"] article from Sunset.com
* Locally available information and maps
* [http://traillink.com/TL_Active_Pages/TrailSearch/default.asp Rails to Trails Conservancy compound search page]
* [http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/driver_handbook_toc.htm California Driver Handbook]
* Ridelink's San Diego Region bike map
List of cycleways
List of Los Angeles bike paths
* [http://www.efgh.com/bike/redroute.htm 25 Red Routes in San Diego County]
* [http://www.bikemetro.com/route/routehome.asp Bike Route Planning w/Map and Elevation change calculated]
* [http://www.bicyclefriendlycommunity.org/ Bicycle Friendly Community]
* [http://www.railtrails.org/ Rails-to-Trails Conservancy]
* [http://sports.dir.groups.yahoo.com/dir/1600067439 "sports.dir.groups.yahoo.com Cycling"] Yahoo! groups directory
* [http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/driver_handbook_toc.htm "California Driver Handbook"]
* [http://traillink.com/TL_Active_Pages/TrailSearch/default.asp?12%3A56%3A14+PM "6 SD Paths"] Traillink.com's 6 San Diego/North County search results
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of Los Angeles bike paths — Bike paths in the greater Los Angeles area are divided into classes which seem to vary in definition from document to document, but essentially are:* Class I Bike Path Completely separate from traffic. * Class II Bike Lane A lane set aside in… … Wikipedia
San Diego Creek bicycle path — The San Diego Creek bicycle path is largely contained within the city of Irvine, California. The path begins where the San Diego Creek empties into Upper Newport Bay. The Bay itself makes for a pleasant ride with a Class 2 bike lane on the… … Wikipedia
Mission Bay (San Diego) — Mission Bay is a saltwater bay or lagoon located south of the Pacific Beach community of San Diego, California. The bay is part of the recreational Mission Bay Park, which is the largest man made aquatic park in the country, consisting of 4,235… … Wikipedia
Mission Bay, San Diego, California — [ cite web|url=http://www.findlocalguide.net/California.San Diego.Mission Bay.15.$.html|title=Mission Bay Island|publisher= [http://www.findlocalguide.net Find a Local Guide] |accessdate=2007 12 27] ] Mission Bay is a bay located south of the… … Wikipedia
List of cycleways — is a link page for any cycleway anywhere in the world. A greenway is a type of cycleway.See also: offroad cycling, road bicycle racing, track cycling, list of long distance footpaths, List of rail trails Cycleways in AsiaCycleways in Hong… … Wikipedia
San Luis Rey River bike path — The San Luis Rey River bike path is an easy, 7 mile paved class one bicycle and pedestrian trail that follows the San Luis Rey River in Oceanside, California. The trail is relatively flat and straight, and there aren t any stop signs, traffic… … Wikipedia
San Antonio — This article is about the U.S. city. For other uses, see San Antonio (disambiguation). City of San Antonio City … Wikipedia
San Francisco — This article is about the city and county in California. For other uses, see San Francisco (disambiguation). San Francisco City and county City and County of San Francisco … Wikipedia
List of Ace Combat characters — The following list is a collection of prominent characters from the Ace Combat series of video games by Namco. All information here is (A: Accurate to the most recent game in the series, B: From the latest point in the AC Timeline). Contents 1… … Wikipedia
List of challenges in Takeshi's Castle — A wide range of challenges were used throughout the history of the Japanese game show Takeshi s Castle, some occurring only once or twice, or others in virtually every show, depending upon their popularity and ease of preparation. Many challenges … Wikipedia