The Jäger March
The Jäger March (Jääkärimarssi in Finnish, originally "Jääkärien marssi") was composed by
Jean Sibeliusto the words written by the Finnish Jäger, "Hilfsgruppenführer" Heikki Nurmioin Libau, while in the Royal Prussian 27th Jäger Battalion of the Imperial German Army. This was fighting against the Russian Empire, of which the Grand Duchy of Finlandwas part. The words were smuggled into Finland to Sibelius, who composed the song. The first public performance was in Helsinki January 19 1918by Akademiska sångföreningen, led by Olof Wallin. The Finnish Civil Warbegan on the same day between the White and the Red troops. The march is the honorary march of many army detachments.
Note: This song contains some pretty old Finnish. Some peculiarities:
* hurmaten, hurmeisten. (hurmata) Nowadays "hurmata" means to charm, to be charming or enchanting. War cries, however, are rarely charming. There is a related, stronger word, "hurmos", which is a state where you are so enchanted or mesmerized by something that you no longer very well control yourself. It is a fairly rare word. Presumably what is meant here is being enchanted/excited by war, but at least in today's language, it sounds as if the songwriter were saying that war is bliss, which may or may not be the intention. "Hurmeisten", on the other hand, is derived from the obsolescent word "hurme", "gore", so "yli pauhun kenttien hurmeisten" is talking about fields of battle covered in blood and gore.
* "soma on sodan kohtalot koittaa". "Kun kohtalo koittaa" would be normal even today, if poetic. It means "when destined [to happen] ". However, the beginning actually means "it is sweet to face the fates of war". "Koittaa" is an obsolete form of the modern "kokea". In the end, the meaning is living through the times of war, seeing what kind of destiny lies before us. How exactly that is sweet is another good question. Perhaps it is in contrast to the thousand pains and dark night in heart.
* [http://ingeb.org/songs/syvaisku.html"Jääkärien marssi"] Lyrics
* [http://steelmarch.net/music/FINN/Jaakarimarssi.mp3 complete choir version] (.mp3)
* [http://en.mil.fi/sotilasmusiikki/images/media.php?id=90&name=J%E4%E4k%E4rien+marssi "Jääkärien marssi"] (sound clip, 28 seconds, 488 kB,
MP3) presented by Pohjanmaan Sotilassoittokunta (Pohjanmaa Military Band) in the [http://en.mil.fi/sotilasmusiikki/aani_ja_kuva/aani/index.dsp military music homepage] of Finnish Defence Forces
* [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M87R4y_JGj8 The Jäger March- new version]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Jäger — (singular der Jäger , plural die Jäger , pronounced|ˈjɛːgɐ, as in Yeager) is the German word for hunter , and also a common German surname.It is related to die Jagd (plural die Jagden ) for the hunt , and jagen for to hunt . In English it is… … Wikipedia
The Bravery — This article is about the band. For the band s self titled album, see The Bravery (album). The Bravery The Bravery at the video shoot for Believe . Background information Origin … Wikipedia
The Holocaust — Holocaust and Shoah redirect here. For other uses, see Holocaust (disambiguation) and Shoah (disambiguation). Selection on … Wikipedia
The Hunting Party (2007 film) — Infobox Film name = The Hunting Party caption = Promotional poster director = Richard Shepard producer = Mark Johnson Scott Kroopf Paul Hanson writer = Richard Shepard starring = Jesse Eisenberg Terrence Howard Richard Gere music = Rolfe Kent… … Wikipedia
The Expendables — Filmdaten Deutscher Titel The Expendables … Deutsch Wikipedia
The Secret Circle — Seriendaten Originaltitel The Secret Circle Produktionsland Vereinigte Staaten … Deutsch Wikipedia
The Planet — Infobox Film name = The Planet image size = caption = There is only one planet and it has its limits director = Johan Söderberg, Michael Stenberg, Linus Torell producer = writer = narrator = starring = music = David Österberg, Johan Söderberg… … Wikipedia
Finnish Jäger troops — History= The Jäger troops were volunteers from Finland trained in Germany as Jägers (elite light infantry) during World War I. It was one of many means by which Germany intended to weaken Russia and to cause Russia s loss of western provinces and … Wikipedia
Robert Jager — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Robert Jager (Binghamton, Nueva York, 25 de agosto de 1939) es arreglista, compositor, profesor de música y director ocasional de sus propias obras. Se formó musicalmente en la Universidad de Michigan y, entre 1962 y … Wikipedia Español
Robert E. Jager — Robert Jager (Born August 25, 1939) is an American composer, music theorist and a conductor. His works are played all across the world in festivals, military celebrations, and more. Background/History From 1962 to 1965 he was music arranger for… … Wikipedia