Alden Lloyd Thompson (19??—) is a Christian theologian, author and popular speaker and seminar presenter. He is the professor of biblical studies at
Walla Walla Universityin Washington, United States. He has published several books and hundreds of scholarly and popular level articles, and has been considered to be a leading Old Testament theologian within the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
He graduated from Walla Walla College (now Walla Walla University) in 1965 with a BA. [cite web
last = Thompson
first = Alden
title = "Brief Biographical Sketch for Alden Thompson"
url = http://people.wwc.edu/staff/thomal/index.htm
accessdate = 2007-02-16] The same year he married Wanda Hoffman, who was also graduating from Walla Walla College, in nursing. Thompson graduated from
Andrews Universitywith an MA in 1966 and a BD in 1967.
After serving as a pastor in southeastern California from 1967 to 1970, he became a faculty member of Walla Walla University in 1970. From 1972 to 1974 the college sponsored him to go on doctoral study leave at the
University of Edinburghin Scotland. He was awarded with a doctorate in Old Testament and Judaic Studies in 1974, and his dissertation was published in 1977 by Scholars Press.
In 1980 and 1981 he taught at
Marienhoehe Seminaryin Darmstadt, Germany. From 1986 to 1990 he served as the academic vice president of Walla Walla College, returning to full-time teaching in the School of Theology in 1990.
Alden and his wife Wanda have two daughters, Karin and Krista.
Thompson is open to a small use of the
historical-critical methodof Bible interpretation, although many Adventists reject this method. [For example, the 1986 statement [http://www.adventist.org/beliefs/other_documents/other_doc4.html Methods of Bible Study] , "urge [s] Adventist Bible students to avoid relying on the use of the presuppositions and the resultant deductions associated with the historical-critical method."]
His books include
* 2005. "Escape from the Flames: How Ellen White grew from fear to joy - and helped me to do it too" (Pacific Press). ISBN 0816320853
* 1995. "Samuel: From the Danger of Chaos to the Danger of Power". Boise, ID: Pacific Press (part of The Abundant Life Bible Amplifier series) ISBN 0816312656
* 1991. "Inspiration: Hard Questions, Honest Answers", [cite book
last = Thompson
first = Alden
title = Inspiration: Hard Questions, Honest Answers
publisher = Review and Herald
year = 1991
location = Hagerstown, MD
id = ISBN 0-8280-0621-0] (Review and Herald), now translated into German ("Inspiration: Knifflige Fragen - Ehrliche Antworten", 1998) and Dutch ("Inspiratie: Moeilijke vragen, eerlijke antwoorden", 2002)
* 1988. "Who's Afraid of the Old Testament God?" (Paternoster, 1988;
Zondervan, 1989). ISBN 0310519217
* 1977 "Responsibility for Evil in the Theodicy of IV Ezra" (Ph.D. thesis) Dissertation series,
Society of Biblical Literature; no. 29) [ [http://www.amazon.com/dp/0891300910/ Amazon.com: Responsibility for Evil in the Theodicy of IV Ezra (Dissertation series - Society of Biblical Literature; no. 29): Books: Alden Thompson ] ]
See the favourable review of "Inspiration" by evangelical
Clark Pinnock, which was published in "Spectrum". [cite journal
last = Pinnock
first = Clark
authorlink = Clark Pinnock
title = Alden Thompson's "Inspiration": Why Is It A Cause Célèbre?
journal = Spectrum
volume = 23
issue = 4
pages = 51–52
Association of Adventist Forums
date = January 1994
url = http://spectrummagazine.org/files/archive/archive21-25/23-4pinnock.pdf
format = PDF
id = ISSN 0890-0264
accessdate = 2006-11-21]
Two chapters were withdrawn from "Inspiration" prior to publication, "Eschatology: The Angels Always Say the Time Is Short", and "The Adventist Church at Corinth", which describes three dominant strands of Adventist theology.
Thompson's speaking engagements and prolific writings cover many topics, including the
Bible, especially the Old Testament, Ellen White studies, inspiration (see biblical inspiration, revelation), and Adventist history.
Walla Walla University
* [http://www.wallawalla.edu/academics/areas-of-study/undergraduate-programs/theology/meet-the-faculty/alden-thompson/ Alden Thompson's homepage] , which includes a brief biography and the full text of many articles.
* [http://www.wallawalla.edu/academics/departments/theology/goodword/index.php Good Word] – [http://www.wallawalla.edu/academics/departments/theology/goodword/lessons.php Bible study guides] and [http://www.wallawalla.edu/academics/departments/theology/goodword/listen.php audio commentary] by Thompson and others for download. Broadcast on
KGTS( [http://www.plr.org/ website] ) (Formerly known as "Probe"?)
* [http://www.sdanet.org/atissue/white/alden/ From Sinai to Golgotha] , a five-part sequence first published in the "
* [http://www.spectrummagazine.org/articles/spectrum_interview/2008/05/25/alden_thompson_reflects_changes_adventism Interview] by Alita Byrd of "Spectrum"
* [http://apokalupto.blogspot.com/2006/02/book-escape-from-flames.html Interview] by Adventist pastor David Hamstra
* [http://jewel.andrews.edu:82/search/a?Thompson+Alden Articles by Thompson] as cataloged in the Seventh-day Adventist Periodical Index (SDAPI)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Alden (name) — Alden as a first or given name originated in the Old English language. Most sources trace it to ald wyn , meaning old friend , though it is sometimes given as meaning old one. urname* Augustus E. Alden, American politician that served as mayor of … Wikipedia
Thompson (surname) — Thompson is an English patronymic surname with a variety of spellings meaning son of Tom (or Thomas) . According to the 1990 United States Census, Thompson was the seventeenth most frequently reported surname, accounting for 0.27% of the… … Wikipedia
USS Alden (DD-211) — USS Alden (DD 211), in Chefoo, China Geschichte Typ Zerstörer der Clemson Klasse Namensgeber … Deutsch Wikipedia
USS Alden (DD-211) — was a Clemson class destroyer in the United States Navy during World War II, named for Rear Admiral James Alden, Jr. (1810–1877). Alden was laid down on 24 October 1918 and launched on 14 May 1919 by William Cramp and Sons; sponsored by Miss… … Wikipedia
William Alden Smith — (* 12. Mai 1859 in Dowagiac, Cass County, Michigan; † 11. Oktober 1932 in Grand Rapids, Michigan) war ein US amerikanischer Politiker. Smith fungierte von 1895 bis 1907 als Kongressabgeordnet … Deutsch Wikipedia
Ginger Alden — Infobox actor name = Ginger Alden imagesize = caption = birthname = birthdate = birth date and age|1956|11|13 birthplace = Memphis, Tennessee U.S. deathdate = deathplace = othername = occupation = Film actress, model yearsactive = spouse = Elvis… … Wikipedia
Neil Alden Armstrong — Neil Armstrong Pour les articles homonymes, voir Armstrong. Neil Armstrong … Wikipédia en Français
Lewis Thompson Preston — (* 5. August 1926 in New York; † 4. Mai 1995 in Washington D. C.) war ein US amerikanischer Banker. Er war 1980 1989 CEO von JP Morgan und von 1991 bis zu seinem Tod Präsident der Weltbank. Preston nahm beim US Marine Corps am Pazifikkrieg teil.… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Inspiration of Ellen White — Seventh day Adventists believe church co founder Ellen G. White was inspired by God as a prophet , understood today as a manifestation of the New Testament [Spiritual gift| [spiritual] gift] of prophecy . Her inspiration (compare: Biblical… … Wikipedia
Progressive Adventism — Evangelical Adventist redirects here. For the early Millerite group, see Evangelical Adventist Church. Progressive Adventists are members of the Seventh day Adventist Church who disagree with certain beliefs traditionally held by mainstream… … Wikipedia