Sarah, Lady Piers (fl. 1697 – 1714; died 1719) was a literary patron, political commentator, and a poet.
Her father was originally of Roydon in Yorkshire. She was the daughter of Matthew Roydon and wife of Sir George Piers (1670–1720), a Kentish army captain and Clerk of the Privy Seal. She had two sons, one of whom died in childhood. She is now known mainly for being one of The Nine Muses, a close friend and patron of Catherine Trotter, and a target of satire for Delarivier Manley.
She and Catherine Trotter had a long history of correspondence, private and public: Trotter invited Piers to contribute to the Nine Muses; Piers wrote a dedicatory poem to Trotter's The Fatal Friendship (1698) and a prefatory poem to her The Unhappy Penitent (1701); Trotter dedicated her comedy Love at a Loss (1701) to Piers. Manley satirized both writers, in the second volume of The New Atalantis (1709), as part of a "cabal" of women who carried their friendships "beyond with Nature design'd" (Greer 445).
In an untitled poem published in 1708, Piers praises the virtue of the female community at Tunbridge Wells. In her last known work, George for Britain, she championed the monarchy over republicanism.
- "To my much Esteemed Friend On her Play call'd Fatal-Friendship." Reprinted in Kissing the Rod: An Anthology of Seventeenth-Century Women's Verse. Germaine Greer et al., eds. New York: Farrar Straus Giroux, 1988. 446-447.
- George for Britain (1714)
- "Urania: The Divine Muse. On the Death of John Dryden, Esq. By the Honourable the Lady P[iers]." The Nine Muses, Or, Poems Written by Nine severall Ladies Upon the death of the late Famous John Dryden, Esq. London: Richard Basset, 1700. Reprinted in Kissing the Rod: An Anthology of Seventeenth-Century Women's Verse. Germaine Greer et al., eds. New York: Farrar Straus Giroux, 1988. 448-451.
- "Lady Sarah Piers." Kissing the Rod: An Anthology of Seventeenth-Century Women's Verse. Germaine Greer et al., eds. New York: Farrar Straus Giroux, 1988. 445-446.
- Holly Faith Nelson, ‘Piers , Sarah, Lady Piers (d. 1719)’, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, Sept 2004; online edn, Oct 2008, accessed 4 Feb 2009
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Piers Morgan Tonight — Piers Morgan Tonight … Википедия
Piers Courage — Automobil /Formel 1 Weltmeisterschaft Nation: Vereinigtes Konigreich … Deutsch Wikipedia
Sarah Miles — (* 31. Dezember 1941 in Ingatestone, Essex) ist eine britische Schauspielerin. Sarah Miles begann bereits im Alter von 15 Jahren ein Schauspielstudium an der Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in London. Ihr Filmdebüt gab sie 1962 in Spiel mit dem… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Piers Butler, 16th Viscount Mountgarret — Piers Henry Augustus Butler, 16th Viscount Mountgarret was born on 28 August 1903 and died on 2 August 1966. FamilyHe was the son of Henry Edmund Butler, 14th Viscount Mountgarret and Robina Marion Hanning Lee. He married, firstly, Eglantine… … Wikipedia
Piers Courage — Former F1 driver Name = Piers Courage Nationality = flagicon|UK British Years = F1|1967 F1|1970 Team(s) = Lotus, BRM, Brabham, De Tomaso Races = 29 (27 starts) Championships = 0 Wins = 0 Podiums = 2 Points = 20 Poles = 0 Fastest laps = 0 First… … Wikipedia
Sarah Miles — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Miles. Sarah Miles dans Blow Up (1967) Sarah Miles, née le 31 décembre 1941 à Ingatestone (Essex), est une actrice … Wikipédia en Français
Sarah Murcia — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Murcia. Sarah Murcia Naissance 1976 … Wikipédia en Français
Piers Legh — Lieutenant Colonel Sir Piers Joey Walter Legh GCVO KCB CMG CIE OBE (12 December 1890 ndash;16 October 1955) was a British soldier and a member of the Royal Household.The second son of the 2nd Baron Newton, Legh was educated at Eton and afterwards … Wikipedia
The Sarah Jane Adventures — TSJA redirects here. For the Tribunal Superior de Justicia de Andalucía, see High Court of Andalusia. The Sarah Jane Adventures The Sarah Jane Adventures title card Format … Wikipedia
William Piers Ormerod — (14 May 1818 ndash; 10 June 1860) was a British anatomist and surgeon.Ormerod was born in London, the fifth son of the antiquarian, George Ormerod (1785–1873), and his wife, Sarah, née Latham (1784–1860). His youngest sister was the eminent… … Wikipedia