Lochwinnoch (loop) railway station

Infobox UK disused station
name = Lochwinnoch


caption = The approach to Lochwinnoch looking west in 2008
manager = Glasgow and South Western Railway
locale = Lochwinnoch
borough = Renfrewshire
latitude = 55.7949
longitude = -4.6248
gridref = NS355588
years = 1 June 1905
events = Opened
years1 = 27 June 1966
events1 = Closed
platforms = 2|

__NOTOC__Lochwinnoch railway station was a railway station serving the village of Lochwinnoch, Renfrewshire, Scotland. The station was part of the Dalry and North Johnstone Line on the Glasgow and South Western Railway.

History

The station opened on 1 June 1905,Butt, p. 148] and closed to passengers on 27 June 1966. This station was located in the village on the north west side of Castle Semple Loch, being closer to the village centre than the original Lochwinnoch station (renamed Lochside during this station's lifetime) which is still located at the south east end of Castle Semple Loch.

Little remains of the station, although a bricked up entrance remains under a bridge. The station site is now occupied by housing, and the trackbed to the east and west is now part of National Cycle Route 7.

References

Notes

Sources

*

rail line
previous = Kilbirnie
"Line and station closed
next = Castle Semple
"Line closed; station never opened
route = Glasgow and South Western Railway

"'Dalry and North Johnstone Line
col = G&SW colour

###@@@KEYEND@@@###


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.