Mohamed Chafik Born September 17, 1926
Ayt Saden (close to Fes), Morocco
Playwrights – Poets
Essayists – Historians
Travel writers – Sufi writers
Novel – Poetry – Plays
Criticism & Awards
Literary theory – Critics
See also Morocco Portal Literature Portal
He is the author of a Berber-Arabic dictionary (3 volumes).
Chafik is also considered as one of the major figures in the Moroccan Amazigh Movement. He taught at university, participated in many conferences about the Amazigh case and wrote many books. He is also known as the author and first signer of the 2000 Amazigh Manifesto in which he and thousands of Amazigh activists demanded, from the Moroccan government, the official recognition of the Amazigh language as a national and official language of the kingdom.
Since 1980 he has been a member of the Academy of the Kingdom of Morocco.
In 2001, Chafik was appointed by the Mohammed VI, King of Morocco, to be the first rector of the newly created Royal Institute of the Amazigh Culture. He accepted the job but refused to receive any salary for it.
Chafik is also a member of the Moroccan advisory council on human rights.
He received the chevalier of the Ordre des Palmes Académiques in 1972.
- The Arabic Amazigh dictionary / 3 volumes/ published by the Academy of the Kingdom of Morocco.
(Dictionaire bilingue arabe-amazigh, tome 1 (1990), tome 2 (1996), tome 3 (1999), Publications de l'Académie marocaine.)
- 33 centuries of Amazigh History.
- Chafik, M, Trente trois siècle de l’histoire des imazighen, Boukili éd. 2000 (3e éd.).
- Chafik, M, La poésie amazighe et la résistance armée dans le Moyen Atlas et l’Est du Haut Atlas, revue de l’Académie du Royaume, no4,1987.
- The Amazigh Language's Linguistic Structure.
- Diggings in the Amazigh Language.
- 44 lessons in the Amazigh Language.
- Interview with Mohamed Chafik in TelQuel-Online by Driss Ksikes (in French): "L'Islam prône la Laïcité" 
- Aitsadden.com 
- A Brief Survey of Thirty-Three Centuries of Amazigh History, 2005
This culture-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.