Infobox Given Name Revised
name = Esme
related names =
Esme or Esmé is a name (usually a first or given name) which may or may not be spelt with an accent on the "e". Although more commonly a feminine name there are examples of male Esmes.
The name possibly means "esteemed" or "loved" in
Old French. Possibly originating from French root word 'aime' meaning like or love (as in j’aime).
Esme, could also originate from Esmeralda meaning "
emerald" in Spanish. In ' The Hunchback of Notre Dame' by Victor Hugo, Esmeralda is the Gypsy girl loved by Quasimodo.
* Sir Esme Tatton Cecil Brinton, (male), (1916 – 1985), a British Conservative member of Parliament for Kidderminster between 1964 and 1974.
* Esmé Raji Codell, (female), award-winning author, teacher, literacy and literature 'ambassador' [http://www.planetesme.com]
Esme Langley, (female), founder of the Minorities Research Groupand Arena Three (magazine)
* The Esme Stewarts, (male), the name of a succession of Earls of
* Esme William Howard, (male), (1863-1939) 1st Baron Howard of Penrith, A British
Esmée Denters, Dutch musician, first became popular on YouTube.
Esma Redžepova, Macedonian Roma singer who claims to be Queen of the Gypsies. Her CDs include "Queen of the Gypsies" (2002)(Time Square Records CDU # 3630900). She appears in the film "Gypsy Caravan: When The Road Bends" (2007) (Director; Jasmine Dellal) which also includes a brief appearance by Johnny Depp.
* Esmeé Xavier (female), a rising celebrity in the sport of pool at the University of California, Santa Cruz.
* Esme Escoto, (male), a young student, founder of The Emperor's New Organization
* Esme Cuckoo, a member of the fictional mutant psychically-linked quintuplets in the Marvel Comics universe,
* Esmé, the girl in
J.D. Salinger's short story For Esmé with Love and Squalor.
Esmé Squalor, Count Olaf's girlfriend and fellow villain in Lemony Snicket's " A Series of Unfortunate Events". One of the many literary references in the book, this time to the above referenced short story For Esme with Love and Squalor.
Esme Cullen, a vampire and the adoptive mother of Edward Cullen in the "Twilight" series by Stephenie Meyer.
* Magda Szubanski plays the character of Esme Hoggett in the children's movie 'Babe'.
* Esmerelda "Esme" Weatherwax (usually called
Granny Weatherwax) is a character from Terry Pratchett's Discworldseries.
* Esme Murray was a character on the Scottish sitcom
Esme Vanderheusenof "Passions"
* Esme was a character in "Whispering To Witches" a novel by Anna Dale
* Esme is the daughter of Max and Eleanor in Tom Stoppard's play Rock 'n' Roll.
* Esme Alexandria Alden is a character in Tara Janzen's 2008 novel, "Loose And Easy".
* Esme Leverton: A protagonist from The Black Tattoo, by Sam Enthoven
Esmee Fairbairn Charitable TrustSee William Gaddis's "The Recognitions"Esme Lennox was the wrongly sectioned protagonist in Maggie O'Farrell's 'The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox'
* EsmeA post-hardcore band from Atlanta, GA.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Eşme — Administration Pays … Wikipédia en Français
esmė — esmė̃ sf. (4) vidinis dalyko pagrindas, svarbuma: Viso to dalyko man esmė̃ terūpi J.Jabl. Tarybinis patriotizmas savo esme yra internacionalinis (sov.) sp. Kiekvienos esybės esmė̃ yra skirtinga FT. Aš pradedu kalbėti iš esmės Vaižg … Dictionary of the Lithuanian Language
esme — Esme, Il hante la hache, et esme de frapper Messive, Guy de Waruich. J ay failli à mon esme, id est, à mon intention … Thresor de la langue françoyse
esmė — esmė̃ dkt. Tikėjimo esmė̃ … Bendrinės lietuvių kalbos žodyno antraštynas
Esmé — m French: from the past participle of the verb esmer to love (Latin aestimāre to value, esteem). In French this verb was absorbed by amer (see AMY (SEE Amy)) in the modern French form aimer, but has survived in a different sense in English aim… … First names dictionary
Esmé — Esmé, Esmée französischer Name, Bedeutung: die Geschätzte … Deutsch namen
Eşme — Vorlage:Infobox Ort in der Türkei/Wartung/Landkreis Eşme Hilfe zu Wappen … Deutsch Wikipedia
ESME — École spéciale de mécanique et d électricité ESME Sudria Localisation Localisation Ivry sur Seine, France Informations Fondation 1905 … Wikipédia en Français
Eşme — Infobox Settlement settlement type = Town subdivision type = Country subdivision name = TUR timezone=EET utc offset=+2 map caption =Location of Eşme within Turkey. timezone DST=EEST utc offset DST=+3official name = Eşme image caption = image… … Wikipedia
ESME — For the given name, see Esme External Short Messaging Entity (ESME) is a term originally coined by Aldiscon to describe an external application that connects to an SMSC to engage in the sending and/or receiving of SMS.SME is a term used in many… … Wikipedia