"Cryin'" Single by Aerosmith from the album Get a Grip B-side "Walk on Down" Released October 1993 Format CD, Cassette Recorded 1992 at A&M Studios in Los Angeles, California and/or Little Mountain Sound Studios in Vancouver, Canada Genre Hard rock, blues rock Length 5:08 Label Geffen Writer(s) Steven Tyler
Producer Bruce Fairbairn Certification Gold (RIAA) Aerosmith singles chronology "Eat the Rich"
Music video "Cryin'" on YouTube
"Cryin'" is a song by American hard rock band Aerosmith. It was written by Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, and Taylor Rhodes. It was released by Geffen Records in October 1993 as a single from their April release, Get a Grip. The song features a music video with Alicia Silverstone.
Chart (1993) Peak
Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 75) 5 Canada (RPM100 Singles) 8 Netherlands (Mega Single Top 100) 5 Sweden (Sverigetopplistan) 3 UK Singles (The Official Charts Company) 17 US Billboard Hot 100 12 US Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks 1 US Billboard Mainstream Top 40 11 Chart (1994) Peak
France (SNEP) 6 Germany (Media Control AG) 7 Norway (VG-lista) 1 End of year chart (1993) Position U.S. Billboard Hot 100 60
The song begins with a bluesy guitar-oriented intro. It then becomes stripped down during the first verse, before going into a heavier arrangement for the first chorus. The song picks up in even more steam during the second verse before mellowing out during the third verse. The chorus repeats several times throughout the song.
The song is also highlighted by the clear guitar parts of Brad Whitford and Joe Perry, who each play guitar solos on the song. There is also a notable harmonica solo by Steven Tyler towards the end of the song before the last refrain of the chorus.
The song samples the famous chord progression from Pachelbel's Canon.
The music video for the song, directed by Marty Callner, features the first appearance of Alicia Silverstone in the band's videos, as well as the band performing in the Central Congregational Church in Fall River, Massachusetts. The song flashes back and forth between the band and Alicia Silverstone, who plays a teen who has a falling out with her boyfriend (played by Stephen Dorff) after catching him cheating. She feigns an attempt to kiss him, but instead leans away annoying him. She then punches him and shoves him out of the car leaving him in the dust. She begins a phase of rebellion and individuality and gets a navel piercing, which has largely been credited as introducing navel piercing to mainstream culture. After having her purse stolen by another young man (played by then-unknown Josh Holloway of Lost), she chases him down and knocks him to the ground. The video then cuts to her standing on the edge of an overpass bridge, contemplating jumping. Her ex-boyfriend arrives on the scene, along with numerous police officers, encouraging her to come down from the overpass. She jumps, but a rope is revealed, arresting her fall and leaving her dangling over the freeway, laughing at Dorff's character. The video ends with the dangling Silverstone looking up at Dorff and giving him the finger.
The video was a smash success on MTV, becoming one of the most requested videos in 1993, and earning the band several awards at the Video Music Awards.
- MTV Video Music Award for Video of the Year, 1994
- MTV Video Music Award for Viewer's Choice, 1994
- MTV Video Music Award for Best Group Video, 1994
- The song was the most successful single from Get a Grip and has consistently been a staple on rock radio stations, and even seeing considerable airplay on Top 40/pop stations.
- The song has always been a concert staple for Aerosmith, for nearly every tour they have done since the Get a Grip Tour in 1993.
- The song has also been featured on several compilations (Big Ones, O, Yeah! Ultimate Aerosmith Hits) and live albums (A Little South of Sanity).
- Steven Tyler and Christina Milian sang and performed the song in the film Be Cool.
- The song appears in the main setlist of the rhythm videogame Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock
File sharing lawsuit
"Cryin'" was one of the 24 songs, for which the first file-sharing copyright infringement lawsuit brought by major record labels to be tried to a jury. Jammie Thomas, single mother of four, was found liable in a 2007 trial for downloading the 24 songs from Kazaa and ordered to pay $222,000 ($9,250/song) in damages. In a second trial, in 2009, a jury again found against Thomas, this time awarding $1,920,000 ($80,000/song) in damages.
- ^ a b Strong, Martin (2002) [First published in 1994]. The Great Rock Discography (Sixth ed.). United Kingdom: Canongate Books. ISBN 1 84195 312 1.
- ^ a b (1994) Album notes for Big Ones by Aerosmith [CD insert]. U.S.A.: Geffen Records (GEFD-24716).
- ^ RIAA Certification Search Type "Cryin" under Title and "Aerosmith" under Artist to see the results.
- ^ "Aerosmith – Cryin' – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Hung Medien.
- ^ "RPM - Item Display: Top Singles - Volume 58, No. 14, October 16, 1993" (.Php). Library and Archives Canada. March 31, 2004. http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/rpm/028020-119.01-e.php?&file_num=nlc008388.2270&type=2&interval=20&PHPSESSID=m89iq841abagb37ld9c0fdc1f3.
- ^ "Dutchcharts.nl – Aerosmith – Cryin'" (in Dutch). Mega Single Top 100. Hung Medien / hitparade.ch.
- ^ "Swedishcharts.com – Aerosmith – Cryin'". Singles Top 60. Hung Medien.
- ^ "Archive Chart" UK Singles Chart. The Official Charts Company.
- ^ a b c "Aerosmith - Billboard Singles". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. http://www.allmusic.com/artist/aerosmith-p3508/charts-awards/billboard-singles. Retrieved November 14, 2010.
- ^ "Lescharts.com – Aerosmith – Cryin'" (in French). Les classement single. Hung Medien.
- ^ "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche - musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- ^ "Norwegiancharts.com – Aerosmith – Cryin'". VG-lista. Hung Medien.
- ^ "Billboard Top 100 - 1993". http://longboredsurfer.com/charts/1993.php. Retrieved 2010-02-09.
- ^ MTV Onair - Icon
- ^ Aerosmith - BME Encyclopedia
- ^ a b c http://www.mtv.com/ontv/vma/1994/
Aerosmith singles discography 1970s"Mama Kin" • "Dream On" • "Same Old Song and Dance" • "Train Kept A-Rollin'" • "S.O.S. (Too Bad)" • "Sweet Emotion" • "Toys in the Attic" • "Walk This Way" • "You See Me Crying" • "Last Child" • "Home Tonight" • "Back in the Saddle" • "Draw the Line" • "Kings and Queens" • "Get It Up" • "Come Together" • "Chip Away the Stone" • "Remember (Walking in the Sand)" 1980s 1990s"What It Takes" • "The Other Side" • "Monkey on My Back" • "Love Me Two Times" • "Helter Skelter" • "Sweet Emotion" (re-release) • "Livin' on the Edge" • "Eat the Rich" • "Fever" • "Cryin'" • "Amazing" • "Shut Up and Dance" • "Deuces Are Wild" • "Crazy" • "Blind Man" • "Walk on Water" • "Nine Lives" • "Falling in Love (Is Hard on the Knees)" • "Hole in My Soul" • "Pink" • "Taste of India" • "Full Circle" • "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" • "What Kind of Love Are You On" 2000s
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Cryin' — Single par Aerosmith extrait de l’album Get a Grip Face A Cryin Face B Head First Sortie 1993 Durée 5:08 Genre … Wikipédia en Français
Cryin' Like a Bitch — Single by Godsmack from the album The Oracle Released Feb 23, 2010 Recorde … Wikipedia
Cryin' for Me (Wayman's Song) — Single by Toby Keith from the album American Ride Released … Wikipedia
Cryin' Heart Blues — Compilation album by Rick Danko Released 2005 Label Other Peoples Music … Wikipedia
Cryin' Again — Single by The Oak Ridge Boys from the album Room Service Released 1978 Genre Country … Wikipedia
Asura Cryin’ — (jap. アスラクライン, Asura Kurain) ist eine japanische Light Novel Serie von Gakuto Mikumo mit Illustrationen von Nao Watanuki. Sie wird seit dem 10. Juli 2005 fortlaufend publiziert und wurde als Manga und Anime Fernsehserie adaptiert.… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Drivin N Cryin — Background information Origin Atlanta, GA, USA Genres Hard rock South … Wikipedia
Enough Cryin — Infobox Single Name = Enough Cryin Artist = Mary J. Blige featuring Brook Lyn from Album = The Breakthrough B side = Out My Head Released = 2006 Format = CD single Recorded = 2005 Genre = Hip hop soul Length = 4:20 (album version) 4:00 (radio… … Wikipedia
Asura Cryin’ — アスラクライン Жанр школа, фэнтези, меха … Википедия
The Cryin' Shames — Not to be confused with The Cryan Shames. The Cryin Shames Origin Liverpool, England Years active December 1965 June 1966 as The Cryin Shames Labels Decca Associated acts … Wikipedia