The Street Lawyer
name = The Street Lawyer
language = English
publisher = Doubleday
pages = 448
isbn = 0-385-49099-2
"The Street Lawyer" is a legal/suspense novel, the ninth such work written by American author
John Grisham. The hardcover first edition was published by Doubleday in 1998(ISBN 0-385-49099-2). Dell Publishingprinted the paperback edition in 1999(ISBN 0-440-22570-1).
The Street Lawyer
The book begins on the streets of D.C., when the life of Michael Brock, a high-priced
antitrustlawyer is turned upside down when a homeless man walks into his office at Drake & Sweeney, a large law firm. The man, DeVon Hardy, is angry because the firm evicted him from his home, along with some other squatters.
After a near-life threatening incident inside the halls of Drake and Sweeney and with his marriage breaking up; Brock begins to re-evaluate his priorities. He decides that he can no longer work for the firm. In the process, he gets acquainted with life on the inner-city streets of D.C.
He joins a firm, the 14th Street Legal Clinic, which helps the Homeless; including people that have been evicted by the law firm that he once worked for.
* "Mister" - homeless "street bum" who holds hostages at Drake & Sweeney; later revealed as DeVon Hardy
* Michael Brock - the protagonist; wealthy lawyer at the firm Drake & Sweeney
* Mordecai Green - street lawyer; advocate for the homeless
* Claire Brock - wife of Michael Brock; aspiring neurosurgeon
* Arthur Jacobs - senior partner at Drake & Sweeney
* Barry Nuzzo - long-time associate lawyer with Drake & Sweeney
* Braden Chance - partner, real estate lawyer at Drake & Sweeney
* Hector Palma - paralegal for Braden Chance
* Lontae Burton - homeless woman, with four children: Ontario, Alonzo, Dante, and Kale
* Abraham Lebow - street lawyer; associate of Mordecai Green
* Sofia Mendoza - social worker; associate of Mordecai Green and Abraham Lebow
* Tillman Gantry - former pimp, small-time hustler, and twice convicted felon.
* Ruby - Homeless woman addicted to crack, Michael is trying to help her.
* Megan - Michael's later love interest, works at the women's homeless shelter
Unsold television pilot
2003, plans were announced, and a television pilotfilmed, for a proposed small screen adaptation of the novel. Produced by Touchstone Television, the show was to star Eddie Cibrianas Michael Brock, KaDee Strickland, Mario Van Peeblesand Hal Holbrook. Paris Barclaydirected the pilot, which was scripted by Brian Koppelmanand David Levien. However, for reasons unknown, the show was never given a full season pick-up.
* [http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/showatch.cgi?id=street_lawyer&view=archive Street Lawyer, The (ABC)] . "The Futon Critic". Retrieved June 12, 2005. (television pilot)
* [http://www.randomhouse.com/features/grisham/books/streetlawyer/ Grisham's official site]
* [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362375/ IMDB entry for "The Street Lawyer"]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Lions in the Street — Infobox Book name = Lions in the Street title orig = translator = image caption = Front Cover author = Paul Hoffman illustrator = cover artist = country = language = English series = subject = Law genre = publisher = Saturday Review Press release … Wikipedia
The Edge of Night — Original main title (1956–1967) Also known as Edge of Night Genre Soap opera Created by Irving Vendig … Wikipedia
The Kingsway — Neighbourhood Entrance to the Kingsway on Bloor Street West … Wikipedia
The Art of War — (zh cp|c=|p=Sūn Zǐ Bīng Fǎ) is a Chinese military treatise that was written during the 6th century BC by Sun Tzu. Composed of 13 chapters, each of which is devoted to one aspect of warfare, it has long been praised as the definitive work on… … Wikipedia
The Addams Family — are a group of fictional characters created by American cartoonist Charles Addams. Earlier Addams had worked in collaboration with his friend Ray Bradbury. In a 2001 interview Bradbury states that after failing to find a publisher, they went… … Wikipedia
The Ambassador Hotel — was a landmark hotel in Los Angeles, California and location of the Cocoanut Grove nightclub. It was the place where presidential candidate, United States Senator and former U.S. Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy was shot on the morning of June… … Wikipedia
The Chaser's War on Everything — season two intertitle Genre Comedy, Satire Created by The Chaser … Wikipedia
The Antipodes — is a Caroline era stage play, a comedy written by Richard Brome. Many critics have ranked The Antipodes as his best play...Brome s masterpiece, [Steggle, pp. 9 10.] and one of the best Caroline comedies mdash; gay, imaginative, and spirited...;… … Wikipedia
The Real Housewives of New Jersey — Format Reality television Starring Current Teresa Giudice Caroline Manzo Jacqueline Laurita Melissa Gorga (season 3 present) Kathy Wakile (season 3 present) Recurring Kim Granatell (season 2 present) Kim DePaola (season 2 present) … Wikipedia
The Birds (film) — The Birds Theatrical release poster Directed by Alfred Hitchcock Produced by … Wikipedia