Our Lady of Good Counsel
Our Lady of Good Counsel (Latin: Mater boni consilii) is a title given to the Blessed Virgin Mary, after an allegedly miraculous painting now found in the thirteenth century Augustinian church at Genazzano, near Rome, Italy. Measuring 40 by 45 centimeters the image is a fresco executed on a thin layer of porcelain no thicker than an egg shell. Over the centuries, devotions to Our Lady of the Good Counsel grew among saints and Popes, to the extent that a reference to it was added to the Litany of Loreto and the devotion spread throughout the world, as far as Brazil. Her feast day is April 26.
In the 5th century, during the reign of Pope Sixtus III, the town of Genazzano, about 30 miles (48 km) south of Rome, had contributed a large portion of its revenue for the Roman basilica now known as Santa Maria Maggiore. In appreciation, a church was built in Genazzano and was later entrusted to the Augustinian Order in 1356.
According to tradition, in the year 1467, in the midst of the festivities for the Feast of Saint Mark, the townfolk suddenly heard "exquisite music." A mysterious cloud was then said to have descended and obliterated an unfinished wall of the parish church. In front of the populace, the cloud dissipated and a beautiful fresco, no thicker than a carte-de-visite and no more than eighteen inches square, of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Christ Child was revealed. Many miracles are said to have occurred in the portrait's presence, and it was widely believed that it had been miraculously transported from a church in Albania.
Such was the holy image's reputation that Pope Urban VIII made a "glittering" pilgrimage there in 1630, invoking the protection of the Queen of Heaven, as did Blessed Pope Pius IX in 1864. On November 17, 1682, Blessed Pope Innocent XI had the picture solemnly crowned. Among her noted clients have been St Aloysius Gonzaga, St Alphonsus Liguori, St John Bosco, and Blessed Stephen Bellesini.
In 1753 pope Benedict XIV established the Pious Union of Our Lady of Good Counsel. More than any other pope, Leo XIII, who was himself a member of the pious union, was deeply attached to this devotion. The small Scapular of Our Lady of Good Counsel (the White Scapular) was presented by the Hermits of St. Augustine to Pope Leo XIII, who, in December 1893, approved it and endowed it with indulgences. On April 22, 1903, that same Pope included the invocation "Mater boni consilii" in the Litany of Loreto. In 1939 Pope Pius XII placed his pontificate under the maternal care of Our Lady of Good Counsel and composed a prayer to her.
The Augustinian Order contributed to the spread of this devotion internationally. Through the years, various institutions have been named in honor of Mary under the title of Our Lady of Good Counsel. These institutions include a college, high schools, and churches.
Her Feast is celebrated on April 26.
- Marian art in the Catholic Church
- Roman Catholic Mariology
- Rosary and scapular
- Mariology of Pope Leo XIII
- ^ Joan Carroll Cruz, 1984 Relics, Huntington: Our Sunday Visitor, ISBN 0-87973-701-8 page 74
- ^ Ann Ball, 2003 Encyclopedia of Catholic Devotions and Practices ISBN 087973910X page 515
- ^ Univ of Dayton
- ^ This Saint's for You by Thomas J. Craughwell 2007 ISBN 1594741840 page 172: O Holy Virgin, to whose feet we are led by our anxious uncertainty in our search for and attainment of what is true and good, invoking you by the sweet title of Mother of Good Counsel, we beseech you to come to our assistance, when, along the road of this life, the darkness of error and of evil conspires towards our ruin by leading our minds and our hearts astray. O Seat of Wisdom and Star of the Sea, enlighten the doubtful and the erring, that they be not seduced by the false appearances of good; render them steadfast in the face of the hostile and corrupting influences of passion and of sin. O Mother of Good Counsel, obtain for us from your Divine Son a great love of virtue, and, in the hour of uncertainty and trial, the strength to embrace the way that leads to our salvation. If your hand sustains us, we shall walk unmolested along the path indicated to us by the life and words of Jesus, our Redeemer; and having followed freely and securely, even in the midst of this world's strife, the Sun of Truth and Justice under your maternal Star, we shall come to the enjoyment of full and eternal peace with you in the haven of salvation. Amen.
- The Virgin Mother of Good Counsel, by Monsignor George F. Dillon, M. H. Gill and Son, 1888.
- The Mother of Good Counsel of Genazzano, by João S. Clá Dias, Western Hemisphere Cultural Society, Inc, 1992. ISBN 1-8810-0803
- Miraculous Images of Our Lady, by Joan Carroll Cruz, OCDS, TAN Books and Publishers, Inc, 1993. ISBN 0-89555-484-4
- "Our Lady of Good Counsel of Genazzano," by Plinio Corrêa de Oliveira
- "The Valiant Woman, Petruccia, and the Image of Our Lady of Genazzano"
Visual arts · Christianity
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Our Lady of Good Counsel Church — Our Lady of Good Counsel Church, or variations with Parish or otherwise, may refer to: in India the church associated with Our Lady of Good Counsel High School, Mumbai in the United States Our Lady of Good Counsel Church (Bridgeport, Connecticut) … Wikipedia
Our Lady of Good Counsel High School (Montgomery County, Maryland) — Our Lady of Good Counsel High School Address 17301 Old Vic Boulevard Olney, Maryland (Montgomery County), 20832 Coordinates … Wikipedia
Our Lady of Good Counsel High School — may refer to: Our Lady of Good Counsel High School (Montgomery County, Maryland), a private, Catholic, college preparatory high school in Olney Our Lady of Good Counsel High School (Sion, Bombay, India), a Catholic, coeducational school in Mumbai … Wikipedia
Our Lady of Good Counsel Church (Manhattan) — Our Lady of Good Counsel Church Photographed in 2010; Looking south at Our Lady of Good Counsel RC Church on a sunny day. General information Town or city New York, New York … Wikipedia
Our Lady of Good Counsel Church (Bridgeport, Connecticut) — Our Lady of Good Counsel Church Location 163 Ortega Ave Bridgeport, Connecticut Country United States Denomination Roman Catholic Architecture Architect(s) Andrew G. Patrick … Wikipedia
Our Lady of Good Counsel School (Aurora, Illinois) — Our Lady of Good Counsel School is a Catholic school. It has grades one through eight, with a pre school and kindergarten. The school s athletic teams are known as the Raiders, their colors are blue and gold. In 2010, the school celebrated its… … Wikipedia
Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic Church in Pearl City — is a parish of the Roman Catholic Church of Hawaii in the United States. Located in Pearl City on the island of Oahu, the church falls under the jurisdiction of the Diocese of Honolulu and its bishop. External links Parish Website Youth and Young … Wikipedia
Our Lady of Good Counsel, Feast of — • Feast honoring a popular Marian devotion Catholic Encyclopedia. Kevin Knight. 2006 … Catholic encyclopedia
Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic Church (New Orleans, Louisiana) — The Church Our Lady of Good Counsel is found in the Garden District of New Orleans, on Louisiana Avenue. Dedicated in 1894 by the Most Reverend Francis Janssens, the parish was named for the miraculous fresco of Our Lady of Good Counsel now found … Wikipedia
Our Lady of Good Counsel High School, Mumbai — This article is about the High School in Sion. For other high schools with this name, see Our Lady of Good Counsel High School (disambiguation). For the painting, see Our Lady of Good Counsel. Our Lady of Good Counsel High School, located in Sion … Wikipedia