- Spook Country
infobox Book |
name = Spook Country
image_caption = US cover
language = English
Science fiction novel
publisher = Penguin Putnam [cite web
title=Amazon.co.uk: Spook Country: William Gibson: Books
August 2, 2007
media_type = Print (Hardback),
pages = 384 pp (hardcover)
isbn = ISBN 0-399-15430-2
preceded_by = Pattern Recognition
"Spook Country"Ref_label|A|α|none is a 2007
novelby William Gibson.
Gibson announced the book on
October 6, 2006on his [http://www.williamgibsonbooks.com/blog/2006_10_01_archive.asp blog] , where fragments of the novel were posted non-sequentially for some time, leading to much speculation on the content and plot of the novel. "Spook Country" is set in February 2006, [Gibson, William. [http://www.williamgibsonbooks.com/blog/2007_03_01_archive.asp#1918048816028054753 "My Novel's Set in February 2006"] ] and is a continuation of his previous novel, "Pattern Recognition". In an interview with " PC Magazine" in February 2006, Gibson declared that the book was set " 'in the same universe,' as they say, as "Pattern Recognition". Which is more or less the one we live in now." [ [http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2080922,00.asp February 6 2007 PC Magazine Interview] ]
Hollis Henry -- Former member of the early-nineties cult band The Curfew, now a freelance journalist assigned by the nascent magazine "Node" to write a story about the use of locative technology in the art world.
Tito -- Part of a
Chinese Cubanfamily of spies, assigned by his uncles to hand over a series of iPods to a mysterious old man. Adept in a form of systemathat encompasses tradecraft, a variant of free-runningand the Santeriareligion as opposed to the Russian martial art of the same name.
Milgrim -- An
Ativanaddict being held prisoner by the operative known as Brown, who is coercing him to translate the volapuk encodingused by Tito's family.
Brown -- The lead covert operative for an extra-legal organization. He appears to have had law enforcement training, but little training in tradecraft.
Odile Richard -- A curator of locative art. She is Parisian, but speaks a flawed English that often provides comic relief.
Jimmy Carlyle -- A troubled, deceased member of The Curfew. He was addicted to drugs which eventually killed him.
Bobby Chombo -- An expert in geospatial technologies. His background is troubleshooting navigation systems for the US military. He provides the technology necessary for creating locative art. He refuses to sleep in the same place twice.
Alberto Corrales -- A locative artist living in Los Angeles. His art often recreates the deaths of celebrities such as
"Spook Country" also sees the return of two characters from "Pattern Recognition",
Hubertus Bigendand Pamela Mainwaring, founder and employee of the enigmatic marketing agency Blue Ant respectively.
The book takes a multilayered approach similar to Gibson's novels prior to 2003's "Pattern Recognition" and treats themes relating to
espionage, the nature of media (e.g. locative art), and esoteric martial artistry, as well as familiar themes from the author's previous novels such as emergent phenomena and the sociocultural effects of technology. During a 2008 European tour in support of the novel, Gibson commented that "If the book has a point to make where we are now with cyberspace, is that cyberspace has colonized our everyday life and continues to colonize everyday life."cite interview |last=Gibson |first=William |subject= |subjectlink=William Gibson |interviewer=Eric Holstein |cointerviewers=Raoul Abdaloff |title=Interview de William Gibson VO |type= |url=http://www.actusf.com/spip/article-5710.html |format=transcription |program=ActuSF |callsign= |city= Paris|year=2008 |month=March |accessdate=2008-04-06]
Reception and reaction
"Spook Country" reached #2 on the Canadian hardcover best-seller list. [ [http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5hxNtO7xKJEZGqtJgDFGWXRYXfr4w The Canadian Press: Arab League chief fails to break Lebanese presidential election deadlock ] ]
α. Note_label|A|α|none Alternate titles for the novels include "The Very Latest, The Most Recent And Terrible News" and "The Mongolian Death Worm". [cite web
title=Deeper in the Garden of Forking Paths
* [http://networks.silicon.com/silicon/networks/webwatch/0,39024667,39168006-2,00.htm WebWatch Q&A: William Gibson, science fiction novelist] , page 2, by Steve Ranger, Silicon.com, Monday 6 August 2007* [http://www.amazon.com/gp/blog/post/PLNK2T9UDN3CBLZNP Writing Fiction in the Age of Google: William Gibson Q&A, Part 3] , Tom Nissley, Amazon Books blog, July 24, 2007
* [http://www.cbc.ca/bc/bookclub/williamgibson2.html Audio interview at CBC Bookclub - "Spook Country"] - (1/2 hr) from 2007: part one runs 13 min; part two runs 17 min.
* [http://node.tumblr.com node.tumblr.com] - "Spook Country" Chapter summaries and quotations with Google and Wikipedia research
* [http://SpookCountry.co.uk Spook Country blog] - United Kingdom discussion and analysis of "Spook Country" and unfamiliar or interesting words, ideas or brand names.
* [http://www.nodemagazine.com nodeMagazine.com] - home of "
Node Magazine", the fictional magazine mentioned in "Spook Country" now turned real in cyberspace.
* [http://www.aworldtowin.net/reviews/SpookCountry.html A World to Win]
* [http://www.villagevoice.com/books/0730,lee,77360,10.html The Village Voice]
* [http://www.boingboing.net/2007/07/31/william_gibsons_spoo.html BoingBoing]
* [http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/19/AR2007071902242.html Washington Post]
* [http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,,2150860,00.html The Guardian]
* [http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/archive/2007/August/05/style/stories/05style.htm Chris Watson, Bookends: William Gibson explores the science fiction of the here-and-now in his new novel] - Santa Cruz Sentinel, August 5, 2007
* [http://www.latimes.com/features/books/la-bk-park5aug05,0,3415959.story?coll=la-home-middleright 'Spook Country', a novel by William Gibson] by Ed Park, Los Angeles Times, August 5, 2007
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Spook Country — Страна призраков Spook Country Автор: Гибсон, Уильям Жанр: фантастика Язык оригинала: английский Переводчик: Юлия Моисеенко Серия: Альтернатива Издательство … Википедия
Spook Spoofing — Infobox Film name = Spook Spoofing image size = caption = director = Robert F. McGowan producer = Robert F. McGowan Hal Roach writer = Reed Heustis Robert A. McGowan narrator = starring = music = cinematography = Art Lloyd editing = Richard C.… … Wikipedia
Spook Louder — Infobox Film name = Spook Louder caption = director = Del Lord writer = Clyde Bruckman starring = Moe Howard Larry Fine Curly Howard Stanley Blystone Lew Kelly Symona Boniface Ted Lorch Stanley Brown Charles Middleton Shirley Patterson… … Wikipedia
The Spook's Apprentice — Infobox Book | name = The Spook s Apprentice image caption = Book cover for The Spook s Apprentice author = Joseph Delaney country = Great Britain language = English series = The Wardstone Chronicles genre = Children s Historical novel publisher … Wikipedia
The Spook's Curse — Auth … Wikipedia
The Spook's Sacrifice — … Wikipedia
The Spook's Secret — … Wikipedia
The Spook Who Sat by the Door — Infobox Film name = The Spook Who Sat By The Door caption = 1973 movie poster director = Ivan Dixon producer = Ivan Dixon Sam Greenlee writer = screenplay by Melvin Clay Sam Greenlee based on the novel by Sam Greenlee starring = Lawrence Cook… … Wikipedia
The Spook's Mistake — Infobox Book name = The Spook s Mistake series = The Wardstone Chronicles UK The Last Apprentice America image caption = wrath of the bloodeye author = Joseph Delaney country = Great Britain language = English genre = Children s Fiction publisher … Wikipedia
The Spook's Battle — Infobox Book name = The Spook s Battle series = The Wardstone Chronicles UKThe Last Apprentice America image caption = First edition cover author = Joseph Delaney country = Great Britain language = English genre = Children s Fiction publisher =… … Wikipedia