Anchor Blue Clothing Company
Anchor Blue Inc. was a Corona, California-based clothing retailer which had over 100 stores in the western United States. It generally sold its own Anchor Blue brand name of youth oriented denim, graphic tees and casual clothing. Sometimes the company was referred to as the Anchor Blue Inc., but their retail clothing chain of stores was labeled as Anchor Blue.
The Anchor Blue Clothing Company started in the mid-1970s as Miller's Outpost, which itself had originally been called Miller's Surplus. In the late '90s, the company changed its name to Anchor Blue because they had marketed, distributed, and sold their own line of jeans (for both men and women) and other clothing and accessories in their stores but wanted the chain's name to reflect their own name brand. Up until that time, Miller's Outpost (and subsequently Anchor Blue Clothing Company) were also selling brand names from some of their competitors in the apparel industry. Levi's, Menace, Mecca, and other name brands were also sold but later dropped when Anchor Blue decided to exclusively sell its own Anchor Blue fashion line. During the years that it was known as Miller's Outpost, the retail chain marketed and sold their own urbanwear line, Steel Wing, and their own activewear line. Those two lines have been discontinued.
Most of the Anchor Blue stores were located in enclosed shopping centers.
Anchor Blue went through chapter 11 bankruptcy in June 2009. During this process they closed over 50 stores, including all their stores in Florida and Georgia. They also sold their sister brand, Levi/Dockers Outlet by Most to Levi's Inc. In August 2010, the company opened its online site for customers to make purchases, after a more than 3 year delay due to poor sales performance.
As of January 5, 2011, Anchor Blue ceased corporate operations.
Since then, Anchor Blue have advertised their " Going Out of Business" sales. They've tried to sell their products, including store fixtures with discounts up to 70%. On February 17, 2011, Anchor Blue officially closed all stores due to economic struggles.
Anchor Blue perfumes and colognes can still be purchased online. They are available at www.abfragrance.com. Romane Fragrances handles the distribution of the fragrances.
Juniors perfumes include ABU, Bikini Love, Crush, Sinful and Signature. Men's colognes include Anchor Blue, DV8, Unchained, Black by Anchor Blue and Blue by Anchor Blue.
- ^ a b Karr, Arnold J. (January 12, 2004). "Anchor Blue Gets Buyer, New President". Women's Wear Daily. http://www.wwd.com/notavailable/archive?target=/search/article/11318&articleId=11318&articleType=A&industryKw=search. Retrieved 2006-10-11. [dead link]
- ^ Albright, Mark (August 14, 2006). "Anchor Blue to drop in St. Pete". St. Petersburg Times. http://www.sptimes.com/2006/08/14/Business/Anchor_Blue_to_drop_i.shtml/. Retrieved 2006-10-09.
- ^ "Sun Capital buys Bachrach Clothing". South Florida Business Journal. February 17, 2005. http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/stories/2005/02/14/daily48.html. Retrieved 2006-10-09.
- ^ Waters, Jennifer (July 29, 2004). "Target sells Mervyn's for $1.65 billion". MarketWatch.com. http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7B20ADE9F2%2DD682%2D4995%2D88CD%2DC5B7535E5CEE%7D&siteid=mktw. Retrieved 2006-10-09.
- ^ http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_D_anchor06.51c4465.html Anchor Blue shuts down corporate operations
As of January 3rd 2011. All exiting of District Managers began as stage 1. Anchor Blue will be shutting down all stores shortly.
- Umlauf-Garneau, Elyse (May 2006). "Attitude Check: Anchor Blue sells the West Coast look at prices less-affluent teens can afford". Shopping Centers Today. http://www.icsc.org/srch/sct/sct0506/retail_anchor_blue.php/. Retrieved 2006-10-09.
- Young, Kristin (April 11, 2002). "Luring Teens with Anchor Blue". Women's Wear Daily. http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-85185235.html. Retrieved 2006-10-11.
- Cuneo, Alice Z. (May 7, 2001). "Private-label line anchors Miller's Outpost relaunch; Retailer expands teen jeans' reach to close the Gap". Advertising Age. http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-74414399.html. Retrieved 2006-10-11.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Anchor Blue — The name Anchor Blue may mean:* Anchor Blue Clothing Company, a retail store chain * Invasion of Naboo, from the Star Wars universe, which included a fictional pilot by the name of Anchor Blue … Wikipedia
Sun Capital Partners — Sun Capital Partners, Inc. is a private investment firm focused on leveraged buyouts, equity, debt, and other investments in market leading companies. Sun Capital affiliates have invested in and managed more than 145 companies worldwide with… … Wikipedia
Menace jeans — Menace was a fashion brand name in the 1990s. Menace specialized in urbanwear jeans that resembled JNCO, MECCA, BOSS, and other similar jean lines. Menace, also, had a T shirt line. The mascot and logo was that of a young boy. The line was sold… … Wikipedia
Gordon Brothers Group — Gordon Brothers Group, headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts, is a liquidation firm that was founded in 1903 by Jacob Bernard, Louis and Joseph Gordon. The company specializes in appraising the value of non property retail assets,… … Wikipedia
Allders — is an independent department store in Croydon, Surrey, England. The store was established by Joshua Allder in 1862. It is currently the fourth largest department store in the United Kingdom. The Croydon store was once the flagship of a large… … Wikipedia
Cornwall Square — Location Cornwall, Ontario Opening date 1979 Management Chris Savard Owner Charter Real Estate Investment Trust No. of stores and services 70+ No. of anchor t … Wikipedia
Uptons — Infobox Company name = Uptons type = department store genre = foundation = founder = location city = Norcross, Georgia location country = United States locations = 75 area served = Southeastern United States key people = industry = retail… … Wikipedia
A Coruña — La Coruña City … Wikipedia
Gibraltar — This article is about the British overseas territory. For other uses, see Gibraltar (disambiguation). Gibraltar … Wikipedia
Joseph Abboud — (born circa 1950 in Boston, Massachusetts) is an award winning American menswear fashion designer and author. Family The Abboud family was a working class Christian Lebanese family that started out in the South End of Boston and later moved to… … Wikipedia