- Bharti Airtel
company_name = Bharti Enterprises (Airtel)
company_type = Public, Listed on BSE
company_slogan = Express Yourself
company_vision = ?
location = flagicon|India
New Delhi, India
key_people = flagicon|India
Sunil Mittal|, Chairmanand CEOproducts = Mobile and Fixed-Line Telecommunicationoperator
revenue = $6 Billion
profit = $1.11Billion
homepage = [http://www.bharti.com Bharti Group] [http://www.airtel.in Airtel]
Bharti Airtel, formerly known as Bharti Tele-Ventures Limited (BTVL) is
India's largest cellular service provider with more than 75 million subscribers as of August 2008. [ [http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/News_By_Industry/Telecom/Bharti_Airtel_crosses_75_mn_subscriber_base/articleshow/3373614.cms] ] It also offers fixed line services and broadband services. It offers its TELECOM services under the Airtel brand and is headed by Sunil Mittal. The company also provides telephone services and Internet access over DSL in 14 circles. The company complements its mobile, broadband & telephone services with national and international long distance services. The company also has a submarine cable landing station at Chennai, which connects the submarine cable connecting Chennaiand Singapore. The company provides end-to-end data and enterprise services to the corporate customers through its nationwide fiber optic backbone, last mile connectivity in fixed-line and mobile circles, VSATs, ISP and international bandwidth access through the gateways and landing station.
Airtel is the largest cellular service provider in India in terms of number of subscribers. Bharti Airtel owns the Airtel brand and provides the following services under the brand name Airtel: Mobile Services (using
GSMTechnology), Broadband& Telephone Services (Fixed line, Internet Connectivity(DSL) and Leased Line), Long Distance Services and Enterprise Services (Telecommunications Consulting for corporates). It has presence in all 23 circles of the country and covers 71% of the current population (as of FY07).
Leading international telecommunication companies such as
Vodafoneand SingTelheld partial stakes in Bharti Airtel.
In April 2006 Bharti Global Limited was awarded a telecommunications licence in
Jerseyin the Channel Islandsby the local telecommunications regulator the [http://www.jcra.je JCRA] . In September 2006 the Office of Utility Regulation in Guernseyawarded Guernsey Airtel with a mobile telecommunications licence. In May 2007 Jersey Airtel and Guernsey Airtel announced the launch of a relationship with Vodafonefor Island mobile subscribers. In July 2007, Bharti Airtel signed an MoU with Nokia-Siemens for a 900 million dollar expansion of its mobile and fixed network. [ [http://in.news.yahoo.com/070703/139/6hnp8.html "Bharti, Nokia sign 900 million dollar expansion MoU"] , Yahoo! News, July 3, 2007] In August 2007, the company announced it will be launching a customized version of
In March 2008, Bharti Airtel will roll out third generation services in Sri Lanka in association with
Singtel. This is because Singapore-based Asian telecom major Singtel, which owns a little over 30% in Bharti Airtel, is a major player in the 3G space as it has already third generation networks in several markets across Asia. [cite news |url=http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/News_By_Industry/Telecom/Airtel_to_use_Singtel_expertise_for_3G_services_rollout_in_Lanka/articleshow/2841189.cms |title=AirTel to use SingTel expertise for 3G services rollout in Sri Lanka]
September 18 2004, Bharti provided fixed-line telephony and broadband services under the Touchtel brand. Bharti now provides all telecom services including fixed-line services under a common brand "Airtel"
On 19th October 2004 Reliance announced the launch of a BlackBerry Wireless Solution in India. The launch is a result of a tie-up between Bharti Tele-Ventures Limited and
Research In Motion(RIM).
As of 22nd August 2008, the Apple iPhone 3G is available in India on Airtel and Vodafone.
Airtel Digital Tv
Airtel Digital Tvis the dth service provided by bharti airtel limited started from 9th October 2008 providing over 175 channels
Awards and recognition
* Wireless service provider of the year 2005 at the Frost and Sulivan Asia-Pacific ICT awards [ [http://www.blonnet.com/2006/06/19/stories/2006061902370200.htm The Hindu Business Line : Sunil Mittal is CEO of the Year ] ]
* Competitive service provider of the year 2005 at the Frost and Sulivan Asia-Pacific ICT awards
In the news
On February 12, 2007
Vodafonesold its 5.6% stake in AirTel back to AirTel for US $1.6 billion; and purchased a controlling stake in rival Hutchison Essar.
In its monthly press releaseFact|date=November 2007, following statistics have been presented for end of April 2007.
* Bharti Airtel added the highest ever net addition of 5.3 million customers in a single quarter (Q4-FY0607) and also the highest ever net addition of 18 million total subscribers in 2006-07
* The company will invest up to $3.5 billion this fiscal (07-08) in network expansion.
* It has an installed base of 40,000 cellsites and 59% population coverage
* After the proposed network expansion, an additional 30,000 towers will result in the company achieving 70% population coverage
* Bharti has over 39 million users as on March 31, 2007
* It has set a target of 125 million subscribers by 2010
* Prepaid customers account for 88.5% of Bharti’s total subscriber base, an increase from 82.7% a year ago
* ARPU has dropped to Rs 406
* Non-voice revenues, (SMS, voice mail, call management, hello tunes and Airtel Live) constituted 10% of total revenues during Q4, lower than 10.7% in the Q4 of the previous year
* Blended monthly minutes of usage per customer in Q4 was at 475 minutes
* Has completed 100% verification of its subscribers and in the process disconnected three lakh subscribers
* Bharti Airtel’s enterprise Services, President - David is busy connecting India to Europe. David announced the building of 15,000 km 3.84 Terrabit OFC sub-marince cable system connecting Europe [London] to India via the Middle East. The project is known as Europe India gateway [EIG] and is expected to cost $700 million, which is to be completed by Q2-2010. Alcatel Lucent and Tyco are the telecom vendors for the project.Members in the EIG consortium include - AT&T, BT, C&W, Djibouti Telecom, Du, Gibtelecom, IAM, Libyan Telecom, MTN Group Ltd., Omantel, PT Comunicacoes-S.A, Saudi Telecom Company, Telecom Egypt, Telkom SA Ltd, and Verizon Business.
In May 2008, it emerged that Bharti Airtel was exploring the possibility of buying the
MTN Group, a South Africa-based telecommunications company with coverage in 21 countries in Africaand the Middle East. " The Financial Times" reported that Bharti was considering offering US$45 billion for a 100% stake in MTN, which would be the largest overseas acquisition ever by an Indian firm. However, both sides emphasize the tentative nature of the talks, while " The Economist" magazine noted, "If anything, Bharti would be marrying up," as MTN has more subscribers, higher revenues and broader geographic coverage. [ [http://www.economist.com/daily/news/displaystory.cfm?story_id=11323216&top_story=1 "Emerging-market telecoms: Eyes on Africa"] , " The Economist", 6 May 2008] However, the talks fell apart as MTN group tried to reverse the negotiations by making Bharti almost a subsidiary of the new company [ [http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/25/technology/25bharti.html "$50 Billion Telecom Deal Falls Apart"] , " The New York Times", 25 May 2008]
The Airtel subscriber base according to COAI - Cellular Operator Association of India as of May 2008 [ [http://coai.in/archives_statistics_2008_q1.htm COAI ] ] was:
Maharashtra& Goa- 4,345,945
Andhra Pradesh- 6,516,332
Tamil Nadu- 4,218,705
*Punjab - 3,239,200
Uttar Pradesh(West) - 1,624,001
Uttar Pradesh(East) - 3,897,278
Madhya Pradesh- 3,084,776
West Bengal& Andaman and Nicobar- 2,106,163
Himachal Pradesh- 809,829
*North Eastern States - 585,213
Jammu & Kashmir- 1,100,069
The total is 67,425,935 or 32.81% of the total 205,460,762 GSM mobile connections in India till May 2008.
* [http://www.bhartiairtel.in/ Corporate Website of Bharti Airtel]
* [http://www.airtel.in Airtel website]
* [http://www.airtel-vodafone.je/ Airtel-Vodafone Jersey]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Bharti Airtel — Rechtsform Aktiengesellschaft ISIN INE397D01016 Gründung … Deutsch Wikipedia
Bharti Airtel — Création 7 juillet 1995 Fondateurs Sunil Bharti Mittal Siège social … Wikipédia en Français
Bharti Enterprises — is a large business conglomerate based in New Delhi, India, operating primarily across India and in the Seychelles.As of November 24, 2006, its approximate market capitalisation was Rs. 1.168 trillion (approximately USD 26 billion at that day s… … Wikipedia
Bharti — can refer to a number of Indian businesses:* for the parent group see Bharti Enterprises * for the telecommunications company see Bharti Airtel … Wikipedia
Airtel Digital Tv — Infobox Company company name = Airtel Digital Tv company company type = Bharti Airtel Subsidiary foundation = 2008 location =Mumbai, flag|India slogan = Come Home To The Magic key people = Sunil Mittal area served = All over india industry = DTH… … Wikipedia
Airtel-Vodafone — For the Spanish Airtel Vodafone network see Vodafone SpainAirtel Vodafone is the third mobile phone operator of the dependencies of Jersey and Guernsey. It launched in Jersey in June 2007 and in Guernsey on 26 March, 2008. [… … Wikipedia
Mobile Network Code — A Mobile Network Code (MNC) is used in combination with a Mobile Country Code (MCC) (also known as a MCC / MNC tuple ) to uniquely identify a mobile phone operator/carrier using the GSM/LTE, CDMA, iDEN, TETRA and UMTS public land mobile networks… … Wikipedia
MCC/MNC — MCC y MNC, correspondiendo a las siglas en inglés de Mobile country code y Mobile network code, son dos códigos numéricos usados conjuntamente para identificar el país y los operadores de telefonía móvil que utilizan ya sea GSM, CDMA, UMTS y… … Wikipedia Español
List of mobile network operators — This is a list of Major Mobile Phone Network Operators. For a more comprehensive list of mobile phone operators, see Mobile Network Code. Terrestrial These are the World s 30 Largest Mobile Network Operators by Number of Subscribers (and by… … Wikipedia
Sunil Mittal — Infobox Celebrity name = Sunil Bharti Mittal caption = Sunil Bharti Mittal (left) with James J. Schiro and Angela Merkel birth date = Birth date and age|1957|10|23|mf=y birth place = Rajasthan, India occupation = Chairman and CEO of Bharti Airtel … Wikipedia