- The presiding officer of the United States House of Representatives is the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives
Specifically, Presiding Officer is the title of the post of Speaker in the following legislatures:
- Presiding Officer of the National Assembly for Wales
- Presiding Officer of the Northern Ireland Assembly
- Presiding Officer of the Scottish Parliament
- Presiding Officer of the United States Senate
Other uses of the phrase include:
- Presiding Officer (ARB) is the officer in charge of one of the Administrative Review Boards run by the United States Office for the Administrative Review of Detained Enemy Combatants, at the Guantanamo Bay detention camps, in Cuba
- Presiding Officer (Guantanamo Military Commissions), the officer acting in a judge-like role for Guantanamo Military Commissions.
This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Presiding Officer — index chairman, director Burton s Legal Thesaurus. William C. Burton. 2006 Presiding Officer … Law dictionary
Presiding Officer — the person who officially controls the meetings and discussions in the Scottish Parliament or the Welsh Assembly. The Presiding Officer s position is the same as that of the Speaker of the House of Commons … Dictionary of contemporary English
presiding officer — noun the leader of a group meeting • Hypernyms: ↑leader • Hyponyms: ↑moderator, ↑president, ↑chairman, ↑chairwoman, ↑chair, ↑chairperson, ↑Spe … Useful english dictionary
presiding officer — n (in Britain) an official in charge of a polling station (= place where people go to vote) during an election. ➡ note at elections. * * * … Universalium
presiding officer — /prəˈzaɪdɪŋ ɒfəsə/ (say pruh zuyding ofuhsuh) noun the member of a house of parliament elected by the house to preside over the meetings and administration of the house … Australian English dictionary
Presiding Officer of the National Assembly for Wales — Wales This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Wales … Wikipedia
Presiding Officer (Guantanamo Military Commissions) — The United States of America has charged Guantanamo captives before Military Commissions , each presided over by a Presiding Officer.The Presiding Officer were initially to serve as the first among equals on bodies were the commission members… … Wikipedia
Presiding Officer of the Scottish Parliament — Scotland This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Scotland … Wikipedia
Presiding Officer of the United States Senate — The Presiding Officer is the person who presides over the United States Senate and is charged with maintaining order and decorum, recognizing members to speak, and interpreting the Senate s rules, practices and precedents.There is no actual… … Wikipedia
Presiding Officer (ARB) — Every Administrative Review Board, run under the authority of the Office for the Administrative Review of Detained Enemy Combatants, was commanded by a Presiding Officer.cite web url=http://www.defenselink.mil/news/May2004/d20040518gtmoreview.pdf … Wikipedia