- Clay County, South Dakota
Clay County, South Dakota
Location in the state of South Dakota
South Dakota's location in the U.S.
Founded information needed Seat Vermillion Area
417 sq mi (1,080 km²)
412 sq mi (1,067 km²)
5 sq mi (13 km²), 1.22%
34/sq mi (13/km²)
Clay County is a county located in the U.S. state of South Dakota. As of the 2010 census, the population was 13,864. Its name is in honor of Henry Clay, American statesman, member of the United States Senate from Kentucky and United States Secretary of State in the 19th century.
Clay County began forming in 1859 when the land was opened for legal occupation. In 1862 the county was formally organized. The Clay County Courthouse was built in 1912.
Clay County is the name of 17 other counties in the United States; most of them named in honor of Henry Clay.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 417 square miles (1,080.0 km2), the smallest county in South Dakota, of which 412 square miles (1,067.1 km2) is land and 5 square miles (12.9 km2) (1.22%) is water.
National protected area
- Turner County, South Dakota - north
- Lincoln County, South Dakota - northeast
- Union County, South Dakota - east
- Dixon County, Nebraska - southeast
- Cedar County, Nebraska - southwest
- Yankton County, South Dakota - west
Cities and towns
- Vermillion - Founded in 1859 and then fully incorporated in 1873. It was named for either the old Fort Vermillion or for the near-by Vermillion River.
The county is divided into twelve townships: Bethel, Fairview, Garfield, Glenwood, Meckling, Norway, Pleasant Valley, Prairie Center, Riverside, Spirit Mound, Star, Vermillion.
Historical populations Census Pop. %± 1870 2,621 — 1880 5,001 90.8% 1890 7,509 50.1% 1900 9,316 24.1% 1910 8,711 −6.5% 1920 9,654 10.8% 1930 10,088 4.5% 1940 9,592 −4.9% 1950 10,993 14.6% 1960 10,810 −1.7% 1970 12,923 19.5% 1980 13,689 5.9% 1990 13,186 −3.7% 2000 13,537 2.7% 2010 13,864 2.4% U.S. Decennial Census
As of the census of 2000, there were 13,537 people, 4,878 households, and 2,721 families residing in the county. The population density was 33 people per square mile (13/km²). There were 5,438 housing units at an average density of 13 per square mile (5/km²).
There were 4,878 households out of which 28.00% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.00% were married couples living together, 8.10% had a female householder with no husband present, and 44.20% were non-families. 31.00% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.00% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.32 and the average family size was 2.93.
In the county, the population was spread out with 18.80% under the age of 18, 31.50% from 18 to 24, 23.80% from 25 to 44, 15.80% from 45 to 64, and 10.10% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 25 years. For every 100 females there were 94.30 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.50 males.
The racial makeup of the county was 92.78% White, 1.00% Black or African American, 2.66% Native American, 1.95% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.29% from other races, and 1.31% from two or more races. 0.89% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 32.0% were of German, 15.6% Norwegian, 9.9% Irish and 5.4% English ancestry.
From 2000 Census data over 50% consider themselves "unclaimed".
- Mainline Protestant with 3,840 is most common around 28%; mainly Lutheran.
- Catholic with 1820 comes second around 13%
- Evangelical Protestant with 613 would be around 5%; mainly Missouri Synod and Southern Baptist.
- University of South Dakota - In 1862 the territorial legislature located the State University in Vermillion, but nothing was done until 1882 when Clay County voted $10,000 in bonds to construct a building on their campus.
- ^ "Clay County, SD - Official site". http://www.claycountysd.org/. Retrieved 2009-01-25.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "Clay County, SD Denominational groups". Association of Religion Date Archives (arda). 2000. http://www.thearda.com/mapsReports/reports/counties/46027_2000.asp. Retrieved 2009-01-25.
Turner County Lincoln County Yankton County Union County Clay County, South Dakota Cedar County, Nebraska Dixon County, Nebraska Municipalities and communities of Clay County, South Dakota Cities Town Unincorporated
‡This populated place also has portions in an adjacent county or counties
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Clay County (South Dakota) — Verwaltung US Bundesstaat: South Dakota Verwaltungssitz: Vermillion Gründung: 1862 Demographie Einwohner: 13.537 (2000) … Deutsch Wikipedia
National Register of Historic Places listings in Clay County, South Dakota — Location of Clay County in South Dakota This is a list of the National Register of Historic Places listings in Clay County, South Dakota. This is intended to be a complete list of the properties and districts on the National Register of Historic… … Wikipedia
Union County, South Dakota — Location in the state of South Dakota … Wikipedia
Ziebach County (South Dakota) — Verwaltung US Bundesstaat: South Dakota Verwaltungssitz: Dupree Adresse des Verwaltungssitzes: Gründung … Deutsch Wikipedia
Minnehaha County (South Dakota) — Verwaltung US Bundesstaat: South Dakota Verwaltungssitz: Sioux Falls Adresse des Verwaltungssitzes: Gründung … Deutsch Wikipedia
Turner County, South Dakota — Infobox U.S. County county = Turner County state = South Dakota founded year = founded date = seat wl = Parker largest city wl = area total sq mi = 617 area total km2 = 1599 area land sq mi = 617 area land km2 = 1598 area water sq mi = 1 area… … Wikipedia
Yankton County, South Dakota — Infobox U.S. County county = Yankton County state = South Dakota founded year = seat wl = Yankton | area total sq mi =533 area land sq mi =522 area water sq mi =11 area percentage = 2.08% census yr = 2000 pop = 21652 density km2 =16 web =… … Wikipedia
Lincoln County, South Dakota — Infobox U.S. County county = Lincoln County state = South Dakota founded year = founded date = seat wl = Canton largest city wl = area total sq mi = 579 area total km2 = 1499 area land sq mi = 578 area land km2 = 1497 area water sq mi … Wikipedia
Minnehaha County, South Dakota — Minnehaha County Courthouse in Sioux Falls, South Dakota … Wikipedia
Jackson County, South Dakota — Location in the state of South Dakota … Wikipedia