Penmaenmawr & Welsh Granite Co.
railroad_name=Penmaenmawr & Welsh Granite Co.
The Penmaenmawr & Welsh Granite Co. owned and operated a major granite quarry on the north
Walescoast located between Conwyand Llanfairfechan. Granite axe-heads and other implements from Neolithic quarries at Penmaenmawrhave been found throughout Britain. In the 1830s commercial granite quarries were opened on Penmaenmawr to take meet the growing demand for granite setts. The granite was lowered from the quarry by self-acting inclines to the RailGauge|36 gauge tramway which ran to jetties from where the setts were loaded into ships. The standard gauge Chesterto Holyheadrailway reached Penmaenmawr in 1848, after which the majority of the quarry output was sent by rail.
British industrial narrow gauge railways
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.