Caraga, Davao Oriental
The municipality of Caraga is located 254 kilometers from Davao City, the growth center of Region XI and 84 kilometers from Mati, the capital town of the province of Davao Oriental. It lies in the Eastern coast of this province, streched along the Western lines of the Pacific Ocean.It is bounded in the North by the Municipality of Baganga in the South by the municipality of Manay, in the West by the Municipality of New Bataan, Davao Province, and on the East by the Pacific Ocean.
Land Area:Caraga has a total land area 64,289 hectares, representing 12.45% of the total land area of the Province of Davao Oriental which has 516,446 hectares and seventeen (17) barangays.Barangay PIchon occupies tha largest land area with 16,300 hectares which are 25.35% of the total land area of the municipality, Barangay D.L Balante which is located in the southwest of Barangay Poblacion, is the smallest barangay with a land area of 975 hectares or 1.51% of the total land area of this municipality
Caraga is politically subdivided into 17
Places to Visit/Landmarks Scenic Spots : 1) Jubilee Cross, Pusan Point - a 16 - foot Jubilee cross made of cement and sand meant as a landmark of Millenium Sunrise event ushering the historic great Jubilee Year 2000 celebration.
2) Santiago Cave - a 6 square meter cave near the shoreline before reaching Pusan Point , here you will find a century- old human fossils with lenghts beyond the standard measure of a native Filipino fossils.
3) Old Church & Convento - a century - old building od San Salvador Parish, Caraga which served as the central mission station of the Spanish missionaries, it is made of Tisa out of the processed shells from the seashores of Caraga , the convento ground- floor served as a temporary prison cell sometimes during the Spanish occupation.
4) Parish Development Center - a T-shaped building wihtin hectare land area of the San Salvador Parish of Caraga which serves as the center for seminars, retreats, and conference overlooking the Pusan Point from the Southeast Pacific Coast.
5) Tourism Complex - a 3 storey building meant to house the Davao Oriental Historical Museum and some historical Artifacts w / utmost significance to the Mandayan Cultural customs and traditions.6) Kapuka Falls in Lamiawan, Caraga7) Oguad Falls in Lamiawan, Caraga8) Sungkuan Falls in P.M. Sobrecarey, Caraga9) Kiti-kiti Falls in Pichon, Caraga10) Bawgo Beach in Poblacion, Bawgo, Caraga11) Friar's Beacg (LIKSIM) Beach Resort in Poblacion, Caraga12) Sunrise at Pusan Point, Santiago, Caraga13) Crystal Cave in Santiago, Caraga14) Philippine Eagle's Nest at Maglahus, P.M. Sobrecarey, Caraga Resorts : 1. San Luis Beach Resort - a 3 km long beach w/ fine compact sand now undergoing development and conservations down the strecth between manurigao Bay and Baculin Bay. With its compact, fine white sand in a five -km stretch, it can surely lure those who loved boating, joy riding, and swing.
2. Bango Beach Resort- Poblacion, Caraga: The Bango Beach Resort is nestled in the eastern portion, a secluded cove of Caraga Poblacion, Davao Oriental , Philippines and is 20 minutes boat ride to Pusant Point, the easternmost vantage point of the Philippine archipelago where the first rays of sunrise of the new millenium was viewed.This 4-hectare coconut plantation is blessed with a 750 meter beach blanketed with white sand beach facing the pacific ocean. One can witness and celebrate the nature come to life in this pristine tropical resort dazzles with a charm to the senses and spirit. "Bango" comes from the mandayan word which means "to lift", like the sweet scent for which it is named, this enchanted resort is envisioned to become the potential catalyst and raise conciousness of eco-tourism development in the quiescent town of Caraga. Once its tourism potentials are fully developed, like its many beautiful attractions and wonders, its rich cultural heritage and its hospitable and highly spirited people, Caraga Town would indeed be an ideal tourist haven of Davao Oriental and most probably of the entire archipelago.
3. Magliling Beach Resort - Manorigao, Caraga4. Mabasa Resort - Santiago, Caraga
Hotels/Lodging Houses : 1. Tourism Building- Poblacion, Caraga Gov't Infrastructure Proj : Being the seat of the local Government Unit in this locality, Barangay Poblacion has grown progressively after Caraga Water Works, system was established in 1972.Completion of the unfinished portions of the Caraga municipal Gymnasium purchase and construction of Sports equipment, completion of the Caraga tourism complex in the center of the Municipal park.The Davao Oriental- Surigao coastal Highway passes through the municipality mostly along the coastal area w/ a total stretch of 33,462 m. Provincial Roads which branch out from the National Road to the secondary growth centers or progressive barangays of P.M Sobrecarey and San Pedro extends 32.079 km.The Municipal Roads which are located in the Urban center of Poblacion have a toatl stretch of 4.968. km 1.316 km of which are cemented and the remaining 3.652 km are mostly all weather graveled roads.
The municipal has 14 bridges .4 of these bridges are reinforced concrete, located along the national Road. One Concrete Bridge is under construction of Dawan River in Barangay Bus Company. MOst Barangay in the locality have no existing drainage system, hence, helpless in the maintaining their barangay roadsConstruction of 670 meters main concrete canals along 7.Pichon P.M sobrecarey and R..F Santos Streets in Barangay Poblacion
As of March 2008, the following projects are implemented, namely:1) Rehab of the RHU in Poblacion, Caraga2) Rehab & expansion of Barangay Hall of San Jose, Caraga3) Construction of Day Care Center of Sitio Panlaisan, Pichon4) Construction of Purok House/Kiosk at Sitio Panapa, Sta. Fe, Caraga5) Beautification & landscape of Caraga Church of Poblacion, Caraga6) Improvement of Assessor's Office of Poblacion, Caraga7) Fabrication & installation of culverts at San Miguel, Caraga
Town History Caraga, the oldest town of the province of Davao Oriental, is located on the eastern coast of Mindanao. It is bounded on the east by the Pacific Ocean, on the northeast by the Municipality of Baganga, on the northwest by Maragusan, ComVal Province and on the south the Municipality of Manay. of which Pusan point of Barangay Santiago, Caraga rest as the easternmost vantage-point of the Philippine Islands. Caraga coastline is irregular and rough and Pusan Point (Punzan, in some sources) is the Philippines easternmost tip. The municipality is traversed by the two rivers called "Caraga River" in the south and "Manurigao River" in the north.
The municipality of Caraga, has seventeen (17) barangays with the total land area of 64,289 hectares. By 1995, the population reached to 31,617 with the household of 6,321. Coconut products is the inhabitants main source of income aside from some lucrative business. It has a number of eco-tourism resources like the Caraga Lagoon, San Luis Beach, Pusan Point, and some historical heritage like the San Salvador Church Bell, 1802, Caraga Fortification of 80ft. high stone-built.
The etymology of the word "Caraga" is said to have originated from the native word "Kalag" which means "spirit of soul". Hence, the whole Provincia de Caraga of AD 1622 was called "region de gente animosa", that is "region of spirited men". This being "spirited men and women" is grounded on its cultural, religious and political background. With culture, Caragans were spirited in view of their closeness to nature and attitude towards the creation. With religiosity, Caragans were spirited as to their belief on the spirits of nature (like the trees "balete tree", the rivers and mountains, sun and moon); in fact , they have "anito worship" and "ancestor worship" led by the dancing priestess [balyan] and the singing priestess [catalunan] . With primitive politics, Caragans were spirited as they invited a "bagani system" of governance. A "bagani" is like a "warrior" kinglet or datu" who ruled by banditry and by occupation. They fight to end their capacity even chasing an enemy up until the bosom of the oceans and middle of the seas.
Another fictional etymology of the name "Caraga" flows from a local legend as coming from the word "Cagang", a numerous small crabs matting the beach of Caraga, which is also known asa "katang" to the native Caraguenos. Legend goes that "the town was named as such because the first Spanish missionaries who came in the early years of 1600 found numerous small crabs matting the beach". Allegedly pointed out by some, "these Spaniards could not pronounced the word "cagang"; the local term of these small creatures, thus evolved the word "Caraga", such as legendary root word of the name "Caraga" from the word "Cagang", undoubtedly and unconsciously, gave birth to a very bad connotation of Caraga as people crab mentality" Henceforth, since thew word "Cagang" is known as a mere fiction or a legend without any historical records reference, thereof, such an application to "Caraga" is not tenable historically speaking. Population:
Based on the 1995, NSO survey, the Municipality has the total population of 31,617 or about 15.6% of the total population of the province. Taking into account the municipality was 32,566 and at the turn of the century Caraga would have a population of 34,o44.Of the 17 Barangays comprising the municipality, P.M sobrecarey has the highest population of 3,904 or 12.35% of the municipality's population. Barangay Poblacion is the second population barangay at 3,551 equivalent to 11.23% of the total population and this is closely trailed by Barangay Pichon which has a population of 3,878 or 11% of the population of Caraga.
Barangay alvar is the least populated barangay contributing only 2.07% or 643 persons to the total populations. It is followed by Barangay Caningag which has a percentage Contribution of 2.66 or 842 people and Brgy. D.L Balante which has population of 854 or 2.7 % of the entire population.Recent population as of 2007 is 31,980. Language :Household Population by mother tongue(Based on 1990 participation Rate)Cebuano - 30%Hiligaynon - .22%Bagobo - .032%Bilaan - .35%Butanon - .17%Davaweño -93.45%Mandaya - 2.45Yakan - .14%Not stated .51% Major Industries :The municipality of Caraga has sixteen (16) wholesale trade establishment which are mostly involved in the buy and sell of agricultural products.Four of these establishment are found in Barangay Poblacion while the rest are found in other Barangays.Retail establishment, which includes repair/welding shops,dormitory,lodging houses, cable television, telephone services providers,etc...are totaled to 23, of which are found in the Poblacion.The present industries thriving in the locality are the agriculture based, presently there are nine(9) rice /corn mills found in Barangay San Luis, San Antonio, POblacion, San Pedro, San Jose, and P.M sobrecarey. There are also one (1) furniture shop in the poblacion and one (1) handicraft industry making dagmay novelties.The presence of Agrarian Reform Community (ARC) in BArangay San Luis , and San Antonio, which is considered as a convergence are for development where programs of Department of Agrarian Reform (DAR) are also focused , is a factor considered to boost economic activity in the area in the coming years.
* [http://www.nscb.gov.ph/activestats/psgc/default.asp Philippine Standard Geographic Code]
* [http://www.t-macs.com/kiso/local/ 2000 Philippine Census Information]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Davao Oriental — Province Seal … Wikipedia
Davao Oriental State College of Science and Technology — Established December 13, 1989 Type State College President Grace G. Lopez (2007 present) Location … Wikipedia
Davao Oriental — Localisation de la province de Davao Oriental (en rouge) dans les Philippines. Administration Pays … Wikipédia en Français
Davao Oriental — Lage von Davao Oriental Davao Oriental ist eine Provinz der Philippinen, die politisch dem Bezirk XI, Davao Region, angehört. Die Hauptstadt der Provinz ist Mati City, der Gouverneur heißt Benjamin Corazon Nunez Malanyaon. Inhaltsverzeichnis … Deutsch Wikipedia
Davao oriental — 7° 12′ N 126° 27′ E / 7.2, 126.45 … Wikipédia en Français
Mati, Davao Oriental — City of Mati Lunsod ng Mati City Seal … Wikipedia
Manay, Davao Oriental — Manay is a 3rd class municipality in the province of Davao Oriental, Philippines. According to the 2000 census, it has a population of 36,697 people in 7,136 households. Barangays Manay is politically subdivided into 17 barangays. Capasnan… … Wikipedia
Legislative districts of Davao Oriental — Philippines This article is part of the series: Politics and government of the Philippines … Wikipedia
Caraga — Infobox Philippine region name = Region XIII CARAGA map file = Ph locator region 13.png center = Butuan City population = 2,803,805 density km2 = 148.8 area km2 = 18,847.7 provinces = 5 cities = 3 municipalities = 70 barangays = 1,310 districts … Wikipedia
Davao City — Davao redirects here. For other uses, see Davao (disambiguation). City of Davao Dakbayan sa Dabaw Lungsod ng Dabaw Highly Urbanized City … Wikipedia