The Man Show
The Man Show Genre Sketch comedy
Developed by Adam Carolla
Starring Adam Carolla (1999-2003)
Jimmy Kimmel (1999-2003)
Joe Rogan (2003-2004)
Doug Stanhope (2003-2004)
Bill "The Fox" Foster (1999-2000)
Aaron Hamill (2000-2003)
Opening theme See below Country of origin United States Language(s) English No. of seasons 6 No. of episodes 112 Production Executive producer(s) Daniel Kellison Running time 22 min Broadcast Original channel Comedy Central Original run June 16, 1999– June 19, 2004 External links Website
The Man Show simultaneously celebrated and lampooned the stereotypical loutish male perspective in a sexually charged, humorous light. The show consisted of a variety of pre-recorded comedy sketches and live in-studio events, usually requiring audience participation.
The Man Show is particularly well-known for its buxom female models, the "Juggy Dance Squad", who would dance in themed, revealing costumes at the opening of every show, and in the aisles of the audience just before The Man Show went to commercial break and end the shows with the "Girls on Trampolines" segment. The first year of The Man Show featured beer-guzzling entertainer Bill 'The Fox' Foster as the show's emcee. Foster specialized in chugging two beers in record time (sometimes while suspended upside down) and singing lewd drinking songs. He would close every episode by leading the audience in the German drinking toast Zicke, Zacke, Zicke, Zacke, Hoi, Hoi, Hoi!, a tradition that continued after his death from prostate cancer in 2000.
- A famous skit, often posted online, featured Carolla and Kimmel setting up a booth at a farmer's market and successfully asking people to sign a petition to "end women's suffrage", demanding the repeal of the 19th Amendment (which guarantees women's voting rights). This sketch humorously revealed widespread fundamental political ignorance in the general population and how terminology could be used to manipulate public opinion, much as dihydrogen monoxide is used to illustrate general scientific ignorance. The majority of people who came to the booth, both men and women, were willing to sign the petition.
- Another famous skit had Carolla and Kimmel, dressed as hunters, tie an animatronic deer to the roof of a car, parked at a truck stop, as well as using the animatronic deer to prank several pedestrians at a truck stop. Kimmel (hidden in a van in the next parking space) voiced the deer, who moved its head and asked passers-by to let it go, get it food or go on dates.
- The Man Show tribute to The Benny Hill Show
- Three of the more infamous skits on the show featured The Man Show Boy. One involved him standing outside a liquor store asking the passing customers for a six-pack of beer, with one man eventually buying him the beer after being given the money. The second skit involved The Man Show Boy selling cups of beer at a "lemonade stand", IDing some college frat boys before selling the beer. The third and most famous skit involved The Man Show Boy at a beach asking women if they wanted lotion rubbed on their backs.
- The hosts visited Snoop Dogg's house intending to shoot a comedy sketch but wound up smoking a large amount of marijuana with him off-camera and were filmed under its influence.
- Adam Carolla hosted "The Antique Porn Roadshow", an obvious parody of the popular PBS series "Antiques Roadshow", during which Adam appraised a phallically-shaped item supposedly made of ivory, a "male enhancement" item fashioned from a 19th century fireplace bellows, and a 1920's era pornographic magazine, the pages of which were inseparable.
- The 1999 through 2001 seasons shows occasionally featured segments entitled "The Monkey Bar", where chimpanzees duplicated real-life human exploits in a similar style to that of the 1970s American Broadcasting Company program Lancelot Link, Secret Chimp. One such performance entailed a conversation in a bar which referenced a penguin joke. In another, (not in the Monkey Bar setting) Jimmy Kimmel sent his (then) wife, Gina, to Poland in order to allow him to be with his new "simian wife", referred to by his real-life children as "monkey mommy".
- "The Wheel of Destiny", a very popular recurring segment based on the chance to receive either pain or pleasure resulting from the spin of a wheel, featured pleasurable rewards/prizes including a ride in the 1960s Batmobile with Adam West, a "wheelbarrow full of porn", and a massage by two female porn stars. Unpleasant rewards included "Adam pees on your wallet", the "Sumo Wrestler Tea-bag", and torture by a 300-lb dominatrix.
Departure of Kimmel and Carolla
In 2003, Kimmel and Carolla left The Man Show and the job of hosting was passed down to comedians Joe Rogan and Doug Stanhope. Under Rogan and Stanhope, The Man Show lost a lot of its former popularity and received much lower ratings.
Kimmel and Carolla went on to helm their own shows Jimmy Kimmel Live, Too Late with Adam Carolla and The Adam Carolla Show. Carolla has appeared on Kimmel's program several times during its run including April 8, 2008 after he was eliminated from ABC's Dancing with the Stars.
Famous Juggy Girls
Syndication and DVDs
In the late 2000's, reruns of The Man Show aired on G4TV weeknights at 10:00 p.m. ET and 10:30 p.m. ET and on Saturdays at 12:00 a.m. ET. It was originally thought that the Rogan-Stanhope-era episodes would not be shown because the commercials referred to the syndicated episodes as "the way Jimmy and Adam made it". However, Canadian channel mentv included the Rogan/Stanhope episodes in its schedule. G4TV also aired the Rogan-Stanhope episodes, but only a very few times.
The first four seasons of The Man Show are also available on DVD.
Also in Denmark, there was a version called Penislægens værksted (The Penis-doctors workshop) on TV2-Zulu.
- The Man Show at the Internet Movie Database
- The Man Show at TV.com
- Pazsaz Entertainment Network - Episode Information And Airdates
- TheManShow.com - Internet Archive Wayback Machine
Audio TelevisionStarringAppearancesProduction co. FilmThe Hammer · Save Virgil PeoplePartnersCo-hostsOther Asteroid
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of The Man Show episodes — This is a list of all 95 episodes of the comedy television series The Man Show that starred Adam Carolla and Jimmy Kimmel.Episode guideeason 1The first season began on Comedy Central on June 16, 1999. It was released on DVD in 2003 in two 3 DVD… … Wikipedia
The Fast Show — Title Card for the Fosters Funny Series of The Fast Show. Format Sketch comedy … Wikipedia
The Daily Show — Also known as The Daily Show with Jon Stewart Genre … Wikipedia
The Norm Show — Also known as Norm Genre Sitcom Created by Bruce Helford Norm Macdonald Starring Norm Macdonald Laurie Metcalf Ian Gom … Wikipedia
The Amanda Show — Format Sketch comedy Variety show Created by Dan Schneider Starring Amanda Bynes … Wikipedia
The Dope Show — Single by Marilyn Manson from the album Mechanical Animals Released September 15, 1998 … Wikipedia
The Animation Show — is a semi annual touring festival of animated short films that premiered in fall 2003. It was created and was personally programmed solely by award winning animators Mike Judge and Don Hertzfeldt. Following the demise of other American touring… … Wikipedia
The Helmetcam Show — is a television series created by Gary Gray (I). The series ran for four years on Playboy TV from 1996 to 2000. A total of 80 episodes were produced during the show’s run, ending with the final live broadcast on July 19, 2000.As a live call in… … Wikipedia
The Rock Show — «The Rock Show» Сингл Blink 182 с альбома Take off Your Pants and Jacket Выпущен 26 июня 2001 Формат CD Жанры Поп панк, Панк рок Д … Википедия
The Brak Show — Title card Genre Animated Sit com Surreal humor Format Animated series Created by … Wikipedia