In 2007, DiY-Fest was revived as DiY-Fest Video, a DVD production company devoted to alt-lifestyle instructional videos. Its first productions were Yoga For Indie Rockers (DVD release Oct 30, 2007), Pilates For Indie Rockers (DVD release Nov 13, 2007), and Vegan Cooking For Animal Lovers (DVD release Nov 13, 2007). Upcoming productions include Biofuel My Ride, Burlesque Workout For Indie Rockers, and an as-yet untitled DVD about solutions for ne'er-do-wells to "green your home without losing your black heart." DiY-Fest Video is distributed by HALO 8 Entertainment.     
Founded by filmmaker Matt Pizzolo and organized by Kings Mob Productions, the festival initially launched as part of a “Do-it-Yourself Filmmaking Workshop” that Pizzolo and partner Katie Nisa ran after rough cut screenings of their cult movie “Threat.” The workshops were attended by a diverse, cross-subcultural audience largely from the independent film, digital hardcore, underground hip hop, hardcore punk, alternative media, and culture jamming scenes. Pizzolo observed that the DiY mediamakers shared a common ideology but developed their art in isolation from one another, so he expanded the workshop into the larger forum of DiY-Fest with the intention of engendering cross-subcultural DiY collaborations.  
In 2001, Digital Hardcore Recordings released the fest-soundtrack CD “DiY-Fest” compiling spoken word clips from people such as Howard Zinn and Jello Biafra with underground music ranging from agit-prop folk musician Ani Difranco to hip hop artists The Arsonists. Standout tracks on the album included the original collaborations “43% Burnt [remix]” (math-rockers Dillinger Escape Plan with noise-artists Atari Teenage Riot) and “Ghetto Birds [remix]” (hip hop songstress Mystic with breakbeat diva Nic Endo) . These collaborations were conceived by Pizzolo, who was so pleased by the results that he used them as the template for the mash-up album “Threat: Music That Inspired The Movie.”    
In late 2000, DiY-Fest was integrated into The Van’s Warped Tour with the hopes of exposing the underground mediamakers to a broader audience. The festival slowed down with intermittent bookings throughout 2002.    
A legacy of DiY-Fest is the growth of alt porn. The organizers of DiY-Fest observed porn as being independent media and were among the first to recognize and include gonzo, female-owned adult company Shane’s World as a DiY organization. DiY-Fest also hosted Suicide Girls at events when the site was still obscure, and, in a clever and controversial twist on the “Do it Yourself” theme, DiY-Fest partnered with female-owned sex shop Toys In Babeland to give away free vibrators at live events. 
DiY-Fest (Audio CD)
A compilation of spoken word and underground music released by Digital Hardcore Recordings in January 2006.
- "Missing Press Conference" - George W. Bush
- "Alleged Accused Reputed Reused" - Matt Pizzolo vs Alec Empire feat. Seth Tobocman & Jello Biafra
- "Live At The Solidarity Conference" - Jello Biafra
- "The Life" - Mystic
- "43% Burnt [remix]" - Dillinger Escape Plan vs Atari Teenage Riot
- "Live At The Solidarity Conference" - Howard Zinn
- "Child Autonomous" - Creation Is Crucifixion
- "White Collar Crime Fight Song" - White Collar Crime
- "A Less Important Place (live acoustic)" - Miracle of 86
- "Digital Skinhead" - Space Robot Scientists
- "The Fight" - Hanin Elias
- "Iris" - Nicole Blackman
- "Fuel" - Ani Difranco
- "Ghetto Birds [remix]" - Mystic vs Nic Endo
- "Fellow Candymakers" - Sander Hicks vs The Heartworm
- "No More Prisons" - William Upski Wimsatt
- "The Show Must Go On" - D-Stroy
- "One Fight" - Holocaust
- "Kill Cupid With A Nail File" - The Icarus Line
- "Live At The Solidarity Conference" - Safiya Asya Bukhari
- "Threat" - Kings Mob Productions
- "Bells I [Sci Fi Mix]" - Nic Endo
- "Orgasm" - Ducky Doolittle with Jello Biafra
- Abel Ferrara
- Kings Mob Productions
- Matt Pizzolo
- Katie Nisa
- Lloyd Kaufman
- Jem Cohen
- Sarah Jacobson
- Harris Smith
- Esther Bell
- Shane's World
- Debbie Rochon
- Hook-Ups (“Destroying America”)
- Jim Jarmusch
- Zack Exley
- Safiya Asya Bukhari
- Independent Media Center
- PickAxe Productions
- Big Noise Films
- Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting
- Electronic Frontier Foundation
- Soft Skull Press
- Seth Tobocman
- Jason Rose
- Suicide Girls
- Kevin Devine
- Dillinger Escape Plan
- Atari Teenage Riot
- Creation Is Crucifixion
- White Collar Crime
- Miracle Of 86
- Space Robot Scientists
- Hanin Elias
- Ani Difranco
- The Icarus Line
- Audiofile Collective
- Ian MacKaye
- This Year's Model
- ^ Flick, Larry. "Do It Yourself". Billboard. August 25, 2000.
- ^ Brooks, Brian. "Kings Mob Productions to Launch DiY-Fest". IndieWire. January 12, 2001.
- ^ Winston, Nancy. "Media That Motivates You". Women's Health Magazine. July/August, 2008.
- ^ Simon, Leslie & Tim Kanan. "". Alternative Press #229. August, 2007.
- ^ Phares, Heather. "Move Over Punk Rock Aerobics, Now There's Something Mellower". All Music Blog. January, 2008.
- ^ Dahlke, Kurt. "Pilates For Indie Rockers DVD review". DVD Talk. October, 2007.
- ^ Cooper, Leonie. "Yoga Rocks!". The Guardian UK. December, 2007.
- ^ Rogers, Stanley. "Fest Shows You Don't Have To Go It Alone to Do-it-Yourself". The Times of Trenton. August 3, 2001.
- ^ Betty, Dead. "Jim Jarmusch live at DiY-Fest". UnitShifter. October, 2001.
- ^ Steininger, Alex. "DiY-Fest CD review". In Music We Trust. June, 2002.
- ^ Defosse, T. "DiY-Fest CD review". In Music We Trust. October, 2001.
- ^ Whiting-Mahoney, Bill. "Review: DiY-Fest Compilation". Rockbites. October, 2001.
- ^ Billingsly, Terry. "DiY-Fest Compilation CD". Techno Punk Music. October, 2001.
- ^ Stoehr, John. "Warped Speed Ahead For Grapplers". Orlando Weekly. July 26, 2001.
- ^ Jah, Dongin. "DiY-Fest Joins Warped Tour". Hybrid Magazine. May, 2001.
- ^ News. "DiY-Fest On Warped Tour". Real Detroit Weekly. June, 2001.
- ^ McMurphy, Tara. "DiY-Fest On Warped Tour". Philadelphia Weekly. June, 2001.
- ^ Talk Talk Talk. "THREAT & KING'S MOB Settin' Things Off With DiY-FEST 2001". Girlposse. January, 2001.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
DIY (disambiguation) — DIY may refer to: Do it yourself, a term used by various communities that focus on people creating things for themselves without the aid of paid professionals DIY birth, the process of intentionally giving birth without the assistance of a… … Wikipedia
Schoharie Scary Horror Film Fest — The Schoharie Scary Horror Film Fest (SSHFF) is upstate New York’s premier genre festival dedicated to showcasing new horror shorts from the most audacious DIY filmmakers in the world today.Film festAs an exhibition component of the emerging… … Wikipedia
Matt Pizzolo — Pizzolo during Transmedia panel at San Diego Comic Con 2011 Born Long Island, New York Occupation director, screenwriter, playwright, comic book writer, actor, producer … Wikipedia
HALO 8 Entertainment — is a film production distribution company specializing in punk rock cinema, dangerous indie films and alt culture videos . Halo 8 was formed in 2005 by filmmaker Matt Pizzolo. It currently releases projects from award winning filmmakers such as… … Wikipedia
Kings Mob Productions — is a DiY filmmaking and agitprop media making anti corporation dedicated to creating new, dangerous, and thought provoking media. BackgroundThe organization has gone through several incarnations over the past decade, with a rotating roster of… … Wikipedia
Sarah Jacobson — Born August 25, 1971(1971 08 25) Norwalk, Connecticut Died February 13, 2004(2004 02 13) (aged 32) New York City, New York Occupation Film producer, film director … Wikipedia
Athens, Ohio — Infobox Settlement official name = Athens, Ohio website = http://www.ci.athens.oh.us settlement type = City imagesize = image caption = mapsize = 250px map caption = Location in the state of Ohio mapsize1 = map caption1 = subdivision type =… … Wikipedia
Digital Hardcore Recordings — Founded 1994 Founder Joel Amaretto Alec Empire Pete Lawton Genre Digital hardcore … Wikipedia
Yoga For Indie Rockers — Infobox Film name = Yoga For Indie Rockers caption = DVD box. Designed by Robert Anthony Jr. Photos by Daniel Giberson, Carlos Batts. director = MF Strangelove producer = Matt Pizzolo, Brian Giberson, DiY Fest writer = starring = Chaos, Page… … Wikipedia
Pilates For Indie Rockers — Infobox Film name = Pilates For Indie Rockers caption = DVD box. Designed by Robert Anthony Jr. Photos by Daniel Giberson. director = MF Strangelove producer = Matt Pizzolo, Brian Giberson, DiY Fest writer = starring = Chaos, Page Turner… … Wikipedia