Republic of Molossia
Republic of Molossia Micronation
Coat of Arms
Motto: Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained
Anthem: "Molossia, Nation in the Desert" by Kevin Baugh
Area claimed 14.3 acres (5.8 ha) Membership 12 Date of foundation September 3, 1999 Leadership President Kevin Baugh (dictatorial) Organisational structure presidential Republic (Dictatorship de facto) Language English Purported currency Valora Capital Espera Time zone Molossian Standard Time (UTC-7 hours, 29 minutes)
It consists of Baugh's house (known as Government House), backyard and front garden, about 1 acre (0.4 ha) of land, as well as another property in Southern California. It formerly claimed a property in Pennsylvania as well. According to author John Ryan, Molossia is "a hobby... that has been pushed... to the nth degree." Originally established as a childhood project in 1977, Molossia subsequently evolved into a territorial entity in the late 1990s.
Molossia traces its origins to a childhood micronation project, the Grand Republic of Vuldstein, which was created by Baugh and James Spielman on May 26, 1977. Vuldstein's leadership—and entire population—consisted of King James I (Spielman), and Prime Minister Baugh.
On September 3, 1999, Baugh created the Republic of Molossia as a latter day successor to Vuldstein, and declared himself to be its president.
Molossia consisted of two properties, (previously three) located within the continental United States and comprising a total area of 58,000 acres (23,000 ha), these are owned by Baugh. Harmony Province is located near Dayton, Nevada and is the smallest of Molossia's territories at little more than one acre in size. It is the Baugh family's primary place of residence, and the site of Molossia's designated capital, Espera.
The Protectorate of New Antrim was located at an undisclosed location in Pennsylvania and was the largest of Molossia's territories at a little over 8 acres (3.2 ha) in extent. It was named for the Northern Irish County Antrim and had its own governor, Grand Admiral Hess. It is no longer claimed by Molossia.
In August 2003, Baugh purchased a small piece of rural land in Northern California. This was referred to the Colony of Farfalla. The property was sold late in 2005, after Baugh inherited more land which he subsequently named Desert Homestead Province, in Southern California. Desert Homestead was previously owned by Baugh's grandfather, and the property has since been declared a "national monument" dedicated to him.
Vesperia is the name of Molossia's claim of 49,881 square miles (130,000 km2) on the planet of Venus.
The Republic of Molossia claims to be a sovereign, independent nation-state, completely surrounded by the United States. As a result, it has adopted a system of government recognizably similar in structure to that of a sovereign state.
Molossia is a republic governed by a constitution creating a National Assembly and other institutions of state. However, "due to unrest and the ever-present foreign menace from over the border", a state of martial law exists, enabling the President, Kevin Baugh, to exercise all powers of governance, including foreign affairs.
Molossia recognizes several other micronations, with numerous treaties enacted to this end. In May 2008, a summit was held with Grand Duke Paul, leader of the Grand Duchy of Greifenberg, another micronation. Plans were made for the revitalization of the League of Small Nations, a nearly defunct organization devoted to the prosperity of all micronations claiming land. This was Molossia's first ever formal state visit. Molossia asserts it was one of the first countries to recognize the Republic of Kosovo, one day after the Albanian majority country was declared on February 18, 2008, with Baugh sending an official letter to the newly formed government.
Molossian Postal and Telegraph Service
The Molossian Postal and Telegraph Service only functions within the Republic of Molossia since the micronation is unrecognized and therefore has no equivalent agencies outside it. The Postal and Telegraph Service currently produces cinderella stamps .
In recent years the various micronation-themed art installations and landscaping projects that Baugh has constructed around his home have begun to attract the interest of some outside Molossia, to the extent that up to 10 tourists now visit annually.
Visits are only possible by prior arrangement, and involve a 45-minute guided tour conducted by Baugh—typically in uniform. Visitors are required to produce a passport and their pocket change in order to be admitted. Baugh has stated that these requirements are waived for citizens of Andorra, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Monaco, Seborga and "any other country recognized by Molossia".
War With East Germany
The Republic of Molossia has claimed that it is fighting a war with East Germany and it has issued war bonds to stop the war. It claims that is has been fighting it since November 2, 1983.
In popular culture
Molossia was the main focus and site of the two-year anniversary of the That Guy with the Glasses website. Doug Walker produced a six-part film starring Channel Awesome members called Kickassia, set primarily in Molossia. In the film, the Nostalgia Critic attempts to conquer Molossia and become its new leader, with the help of various other members of the That Guy With the Glasses site. Kevin Baugh played the opposing force. The invaders temporarily succeed and rename the nation "Kickassia", but Baugh manipulates the group into dethroning the Nostalgia Critic and giving him back his presidency.
- List of micronations
- Micronations: The Lonely Planet Guide to Home-Made Nations
- ^ "'Lonely Planet' Explores Micronations". Day to Day (National Public Radio). 2006-11-01. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6416479. Retrieved 2008-04-19. "[Alex] CHADWICK: In the book Micronations: The Lonely Planet Guide to Self-Proclaimed Nations, you call an American entity, is it the Republic of Molossia? Am I pronouncing that correctly? Mr. [John] RYAN: Yeah. CHADWICK: This is the most delightful micronation, you say. Mr. RYAN: I think it is. I think when I discovered this republic, which is in Nevada — in one man's house and backyard and front garden — I think I stumbled across what for me really typifies the whole micronational movement. It's very creative, it's quite eccentric, and it brings out I think the best in good humor in people who are just keen to take control of their own affairs. And it's really a hobby for this particular fellow that has been pushed, you know, to the nth degree. He set up a little model railroad in the back garden, and he's got a space program where he regularly launches toy rocket ships and straps cameras to them in a vain attempt to get an aerial photograph of his property. CHADWICK: This is Kevin Baugh, who calls himself the president of Molossia. Mr. RYAN: That's right. And he gets about looking like a South American dictator from the '70s in big, reflective sunglasses and military regalia. But it's all done in very, very good humor. He's pegged his currency, which is made of gaming chips with his face on the front, which is appropriate for Nevada. He's pegged his currency to the value of Pillsbury cookie dough. It's just his wife and his two sons. I think it would be quite an interesting family life. CHADWICK: You talked to the leaders of many of these places. Either you saw them in person or you called them or maybe had e-mail exchanges. Were you able to figure out how seriously any of them take this? Mr. RYAN: Yeah, I think to differing degrees. But one thing — even President Baugh of Molossia said to me that he didn't mind us, you know, engaging in the good humor but not to make light of it, not to treat it with too much disrespect; that he was still trying to, you know, make a point and do something and that he deserved, you know, some respect in that process." Transcript retrieved via eLibary on 2008-04-19.
- ^ a b c d e f "Republic of Molossia". http://www.molossia.org/.
- ^ "Neptune Deep". Republic of Molossia. http://www.molossia.org/neptunedeep.html. Retrieved 24 March 2010.
- ^ a b "Follow-up interview with Kevin Baugh, president of the Republic of Molossia". Wikinews. 2008-05-01. http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews_holds_a_follow-up_interview_with_Kevin_Baugh,_president_of_the_Republic_of_Molossia. Retrieved 2008-08-12.
- ^ "Kosovo" (Press release). Molossia. http://www.molossia.org/article139.html.
- ^ http://www.molossia.org/pictures/stamp11.gif
- ^ http://www.molossia.org/pictures/stampslg.jpg
- ^ http://www.molossia.org/media/interview.html
- ^ "Republic of Molossia announces new customs station". Wikinews. 2008-05-12. http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Republic_of_Molossia_announces_new_customs_station. Retrieved 2008-08-13.
- ^ a b http://www.molossia.org/war/eastgermany.html
- ^ http://www.molossia.org/war/bonds.html
- ^ "The Invasion Movie!" molossia.org. Accessed 2010-12-04.
- In The Spirit Of Independence Day - One nation, under me, The Chicago Tribune, Colleen Mastoni, July 3, 2008.
- Ryan, John. Micronations: The Lonely Planet Guide to Self-Proclaimed Nations, ISBN 1-74104-730-7.
- iBerkshires Bite-sized sovereignties offer worlds of fun, February 2, 2005.
- Micronations: Republic of Molossia, Unrecognised States Numismatic Society, 2006.
- Micronations: Little Countries that Could, G4TV, Dave Roos, June 8, 2001.
- Born to rule, The Australian, Peter Needham, September 16, 2006.
- State of the nation, San Francisco Bay Guardian, Lynn Rapoport, February 28, 2007.
External images A 30th Anniversary Coin A Customs Station A passport stamp from Molossia A Postage Stamp from Molossia A set of stamps List of micronations
Aerican Empire · Aeterna Lucina · Independent State of Aramoana · Atlantium · Avram · Akhzivland · British West Florida · BjornSocialist Republic · Celestia · Christiania · Conch Republic · Copeman Empire · Coral Sea Islands · Elleore · EnenKio · Forvik · Frestonia · Global Country of World Peace · Hajdučka Republika · Hay-on-Wye · Humanity · Hutt River · Kugelmugel · Ladonia · Lagoan Isles · L'Anse-Saint-Jean · Llanrwst · Kingdom of Lovely · Lundy · Marlborough · Melchizedek · Minerva · Molossia · Morac-Songhrati-Meads · Neue Slowenische Kunst · New Utopia · Northern Forest Archipelago · Nova Roma · Other World Kingdom · Perloja · Peščenica · Rainbow Creek · Redonda · Rose Island · Saugeais · Sealand · Seborga · Talossa · Užupis · Valtio · Vikesland · Wanstonia · Waveland · Wendland · Westarctica · Whangamomona · Wirtland
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Republic of Minerva — Micronation Flag Motto: Land of the Rising Atoll Status Defunct (now part of Tonga) … Wikipedia
República de Molossia — Republic of Molossia República de Molossia … Wikipedia Español
Conch Republic — Micronation Flag Motto: We Seceded Where Others Failed (also: The Mitigation of World Tension through the Exercise of Humor) Status … Wikipedia
Kevin Baugh — Infobox President name =Kevin Baugh |300px order =1st President of Molossia office = term start = 3 September 1999 term end = vicepresident = James Spielman (1999 2001); abolished 2001 predecessor = none birth date = July 30, 1963 birth place =… … Wikipedia
Intermicronational diplomacy — Many micronations have diplomatic relations between micronations. According to the declarative theory of statehood of the Montevideo Convention, countries need population, territory, government, and diplomacy to be considered sovereign. [… … Wikipedia
Молоссия — Республика Молоссия Republic of Molossia … Википедия
Micronation — This article is about entities that are not officially recognized by world governments or major international organisations. For information on countries that are generally recognized but geographically small, see microstate. The Principality of… … Wikipedia
That Guy with the Glasses — ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.com The Nostalgia Critic, Doug Walker Genre Reviews, satire, physical comedy Created by Mi … Wikipedia
Micronaciones — Anexo:Micronaciones Saltar a navegación, búsqueda El Principado de Sealand fue descrito como la micronación más conocida del mundo. Las micronaciones, llamadas también como modelos de país y … Wikipedia Español
Expeditus — Infobox Saint name=Expeditus birth date= death date=303 feast day=19 April venerated in=Roman Catholic Church imagesize=250px caption=Saint Expeditus with his typical iconographical attributes birth place=unknown death place=Melitene, Turkey… … Wikipedia