Matthew Lewis (actor)
Lewis at the New York premiere of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2
Born Matthew David Lewis
27 June 1989
Leeds, West Yorkshire, England, U.K.
Occupation Actor Years active 1995 – present
Lewis was born in Horsforth, Leeds, West Yorkshire, England, the son of Lynda (née Needham) and Adrian Lewis.  He has two brothers, Chris Lewis and actor Anthony Lewis. Lewis is an avid fan of rugby league team Leeds in the Super League. In an interview with WBEZ, Lewis stated his association with the number 11 and how it has appeared multiple times throughout his life, such as being 11 years old when obtaining the role for Harry Potter, which has caused him to obtain a tattoo of the number 11 on his right arm and to have myriad clothing with the number 11 on them.
He has been acting since he was five years old. He started off with minor parts in television programmes, debuting in Some Kind of Life.
He then went on to try out for the part of Neville Longbottom. He has portrayed Neville Longbottom in the eight Harry Potter films. For his role as Neville Longbottom, Lewis wears false buck teeth, two-sizes-too-big shoes and has plastic bits placed behind his ears in order to make them stick out more. During the filming of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Helena Bonham Carter, who portrays Bellatrix Lestrange, accidentally ruptured Lewis's eardrum when she stuck her wand in his ear.
Shot prior to the release of Deathly Hallows, Lewis plays the reporter in the upcoming independent film The Sweet Shop.
Year Title Role Notes 1995 Some Kind of Life Johnathan Taylor 1996 Dalziel and Pascoe Davy Plessey Episode: "An Advancement of Learning" 1997 Where the Heart Is Billy Bevan Episode: "Things Fall Apart" 1999 Heartbeat Alan Quigley Episode: "Hollywood or Bust" 2001 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Neville Longbottom 2002 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 2004 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 2005 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 2006 The Queen's Handbag 2007 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 2009 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince 2010 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 2011 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2
- ^ Charnley, Jane (1 June 2004). "Harry Potter and the boy who wouldn't give up". Yorkshire Post. http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/Harry-Potter-and-the-boy.799493.jp. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- ^ http://matthew-lewis.com/index.php/matthew/basic-facts/ Matthew Lewis.com
- ^ "Harry Potter star hoping Rhinos will be magical". Super League. 10 February 2010. http://www.superleague.co.uk/article.php?id=16548. Retrieved 11 February 2010.
- ^ a b Justin Kaufmann (15 July 2011). "Wikipedia Files: Matthew Lewis (Neville Longbottom)". WBEZ. http://www.wbez.org/blog/justin-kaufmann/2011-07-15/wikipedia-files-matthew-lewis-neville-longbottom-89225#comment-32246. Retrieved 18 July 2011.
- ^ Steph. "Interview with the Gryffindors". Veritaserum. http://www.veritaserum.com/movies/movie3/dvd/interviews/gryffindors.shtml. Retrieved 18 July 2011.
- ^ Steve Daly (13 July 2007). "Helena Bonham Carter Gets Wicked". Entertainment Weekly. http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20046035,00.html. Retrieved 18 July 2011.
- ^ 03:45 AM. "Exclusive: Matthew Lewis talks Verdict, confirms new Deathly Hallows: II battle scene". SnitchSeeker.com. http://www.snitchseeker.com/harry-potter-news/exclusive-matthew-lewis-talks-verdict-confirms-new-deathly-hallows-ii-battle-scene-79819/. Retrieved 2011-11-08.
- ^ Sarah Freeman (13 April 2011). "Learning how to earn a living after Harry Potter ends". Yorkshire Post. http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/features/learning_how_to_earn_a_living_after_harry_potter_ends_1_3279978. Retrieved 18 July 2011.
- ^ Laura Davis (29 March 2011). "Susan Penhaligon leads all-star cast for Agatha Christie’s Verdict at New Brighton Floral Pavilion". Liverpool Daily Post. http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-life-features/liverpool-arts/2011/03/29/susan-penhaligon-leads-all-star-cast-for-agatha-christie-s-verdict-at-new-brighton-floral-pavilion-92534-28418463/. Retrieved 18 July 2011.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Matthew Hall (actor) — Born Matthew Lewis Hall June 10, 1991 (1991 06 10) (age 20) Bradford, England Occupation Actor Years active 2006–present Matthew Hall (born June 10 … Wikipedia
Matthew Marsh (actor) — Matthew Marsh Born 8 July 1954 (1954 07 08) (age 57) London, England Relatives Jon Marsh (brother) Matthew Marsh (born 8 July 1954) is an English actor. Matthew Marsh is the older brother of Jon Marsh of English dance band The Beloved. He… … Wikipedia
Matthew Montgomery (actor) — Matthew Montgomery Born Matthew Robert Ramírez March 16, 1978 (1978 03 16) (age 33) Houston, Texas, United States Occupation Actor Years active 2000–present … Wikipedia
Matthew Lewis — may refer to: Matthew Lewis (writer) (1775–1818), British Gothic novelist and dramatist Matthew Lewis (actor) (born 1989), English actor, most famously portraying Neville Longbottom in the Harry Potter films Matthew Butler (Tiswas), British child … Wikipedia
Anthony Lewis (actor) — Infobox actor bgcolour = name = Anthony Lewis imagesize = caption = birthdate = birth date and age|1983|3|31 location = Leeds, West Yorkshire, England deathdate = deathplace = height = 5 ft 11 in (1.80 m) othername = homepage = notable role =… … Wikipedia
Jason Lewis (actor) — Infobox actor name = Jason Lewis imagesize = 240px caption = Jason Lewis, October 29, 2007 birthname = birthdate = birth date and age|1971|6|25 birthplace = Newport Beach, California, USA othername = homepage = academyawards = emmyawards = spouse … Wikipedia
Matthew David Lewis — Matthew Lewis Matthew Lewis Nombre real Matthew David Lewis Nacimiento 27 de junio de 1989 (22 años) Leeds, West Yorkshire, Inglaterr … Wikipedia Español
Lewis (surname) — Family name name = Lewis imagesize= caption= pronunciation = Lewis meaning = region = origin = related names = Lewes, Louis footnotes = [ [http://www.census.gov/genealogy/names/names files.html 1990 Census Name Files ] ] Lewis is a surname. It… … Wikipedia
Lewis — El nombre Lewis puede hacer referencia a las siguientes personas: ● Arthur Lewis, Sir William Arthur Lewis, economista británico (Santa Lucía, 1915 Barbados, 1991). Premio Nobel de economía en 1979. ● Carl Lewis, Carlton McHinley Lewis, atleta… … Enciclopedia Universal
Matthew Broderick — Broderick at the 2009 premiere of Wonderful World Born March 21, 1962 (1962 03 21) (age 49) New York City, New York, U.S … Wikipedia