Order of Pius IX
Order of Pius IX
Ordine di Pio IX
Knight's cross of the Order of Pius IX Awarded by Holy See Type Chivalric order Motto VIRTUTI ET MERITO Status Currently constituted Sovereign His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI Grades (w/ post-nominals) Knight/Dame with the Collar
Knight/Dame Grand Cross
Knight/Dame Commander with Star
Established 17 June 1847 Precedence Next (higher) Order of the Golden Spur Next (lower) Order of St. Gregory the Great Ribbon bar of the order
The Order comprises five classes:
- Knights with the Collar: who wear a gold chain decorated with Papal tiara and two doves, and on the breast a large badge. It is the highest active Papal decoration, and is reserved to heads of state.
- Knights / Dame Grand Cross (GCPO): who wear a wide dark blue silk ribbon (sash) bordered with red which extends saltire-wise from the left shoulder to the right side where the star of the order is suspended by a rosette, and on the breast a large diamond-studded badge. It is commonly awarded to the ambassadors accredited to the Holy See.
- Knight / Dame Commander with Star (KC*PO / DC*PO): who in addition to the star wear a badge of smaller design than that of Knights of the Great Ribbon on the breast
- Knight / Dame Commander (KCPO / DCPO): who wear the decoration at the neck
- Knight / Dame (KPO / DPO): who wear the star on the left breast
Insignia and uniform
The decoration is a regular octagram made of blue enamel, the spaces between the rays filled with gold flames. On the white medallion in the center the name of the founder surrounded by the words Virtuti et Merito ("Virtue and Merit") is engraved. The reverse side is the same save for the substitution of Anno 1847 for Pius IX. The rarely worn official uniform consists of an elaborately embroidered dark blue evening coat with golden epaulettes, white trousers, and a white-plumed bicorne.
Knights with the Collar wear a gold decorated chain around the neck, and a star on the left side of the breast; Knights Grand Cross wear a sash and a star on the left side of the breast; Commanders wear a cross around the neck; and Knights wear a smaller cross on the left breast of the uniform:
Papal Orders of Chivalry Papal Orders_ Supreme_Order_of_Christ ·_ _ Order_of_the_Golden_Spur ·_ _ Order_of_Pius_IX ·_ _ Order_of_St._Gregory_the_Great ·_ Supreme Order of Christ · _ Order_of_the_Golden_Spur ·_ _ Order_of_Pius_IX ·_ _ Order_of_St._Gregory_the_Great ·_ Order of the Golden Spur · _ Order_of_Pius_IX ·_ _ Order_of_St._Gregory_the_Great ·_ Order of Pius IX · _ Order_of_St._Gregory_the_Great ·_ Order of St. Gregory the Great · Order of St. Sylvester Holy See protected Orders
- Almanach de la Cour: the Papal Orders (Orders Awarded by the Holy See or Founded by Papal Bull): the Order of Pius IX (Ordine Piano)
- Association of Papal Orders in Great Britain of Pius IX, Saint Gregory and Saint Sylvester: The Pontifical Order of Pius IX
- The Knights of Christ's Mercy: Order of Pius IX
- National Association of Papal Honorees: Roll of US Members of the Order of Pius IX
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Order of the Presentation — Order of the Presentation † Catholic Encyclopedia ► Order of the Presentation An Order founded at Cork, Ireland, by Nano (Honoria) Nagle (see below). In 1775 she entered with some companions on a novitiate for the religious life. With … Catholic encyclopedia
Order of Aviz — (Ordem Militar de Avis) Emblem of the Order Award of … Wikipedia
Order of the Holy Sepulchre — This article is about the Roman Catholic chivalric Order. For the Masonic Order of the Holy Sepulchre, see Red Cross of Constantine. Vatican City State This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Vatican City State … Wikipedia
Order of St. Sylvester — For the monastic order, see Sylvestrines. Order of St. Sylvester Ordo Sanctus Silvestri Papae Knight s cross of the Order of St. Sylvester (1841) Awarded by … Wikipedia
Order of the Golden Spur — For the United States Cavalry tradition, see Order of the Spur. Order of the Golden Spur Ordo Militia Aurata Scan from the Book of Orders at the Archdiocesan Library Cologne Aw … Wikipedia
Order of St. Gregory the Great — For the monastic order, see Sylvestrines. Order of St. Gregory the Great Ordo Sancti Gregorii Magni Knight Commander s cross of the Order of St. Gregory the Great (1841) Awarded by … Wikipedia
Order of Christ (papacy) — The Order of Christ is the supreme Order of Chivalry awarded by the Pope. It owes its origins to the same Order of Christ of the Knights Templar from which came the Order of Christ (Portugal) awarded by the Kings of Portugal. Originally the… … Wikipedia
Order of Christ (Portugal) — For Papal order of knighthood, see Supreme Order of Christ. For Brazilian order of knighthood, see Order of Christ (Brazil). Order of Christ (Portugal) Military Order of the Knights of Christ Real Ordem dos Cavaleiros de Nosso Senhor Jesus Cristo … Wikipedia
Order of Preachers — Order of Preachers † Catholic Encyclopedia ► Order of Preachers As the Order of the Friars Preachers is the principal part of the entire Order of St. Dominic, we shall include under this title the two other parts of the order: the… … Catholic encyclopedia
Order of Friars Minor — Order of Friars Minor † Catholic Encyclopedia ► Order of Friars Minor (Also known as FRANCISCANS.) This subject may be conveniently considered under the following heads: I. General History of the Order; A. First Period (1209… … Catholic encyclopedia