Odd Arne Westad
After studying as an undergraduate at the University of Oslo, Westad attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill to work on his Ph.D under Professor Michael H. Hunt. He was appointed Director of Research at the Norwegian Nobel Institute and Adjunct Professor of History at the University of Oslo in 1991. In 1998, he left Oslo to join the International History Department at the LSE, where he also worked in the LSE Asia Research Centre before becoming Head of Department 2004-2007.
Westad is currently Professor of International History at the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) and co-director of LSE IDEAS, the LSE's centre for international affairs, diplomacy and strategy, together with Professor Michael Cox. Westad speaks and writes in a number of languages, including his native Norwegian, English, French, German, Mandarin and Russian. He is a very well known lecturer in several countries, both on history and on contemporary international affairs, especially with regard to China and East Asia.
Westad's book, The Global Cold War: Third World Interventions and the Making of Our Times, won the 2006 Bancroft Prize, the Michael Harrington Prize of the American Political Science Association, and the Akira Iriye International History Book Award. It was also shortlisted for the Council on Foreign Relations' Arthur Ross Award for the best book published in the last two years on international affairs .
Westad is the editor of the University of North Carolina Press's book series on the Cold War and founding editor of the journal Cold War History.
As well as his work at the London School of Economics, Westad has held Visiting Fellowships at Cambridge University, Hong Kong University and New York University. He has received major grants for research from the British Arts and Humanities Research Board and the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation. He also worked as the International Coordinator of the Russian Foreign Ministry's Advisory Group on Declassification and Archival Access.. In 2011 he was nominated for president of the American Historical Association.
Westad has published thirteen books on international history and contemporary international affairs, including an updated version of The New Penguin History of the World. He is a co-editor of the three-volume Cambridge History of the Cold War, with Professor Melvyn Leffler of the University of Virginia., published in 2010. His new book, on the history of Chinese foreign affairs since 1750, will be published in 2012.
He was elected a fellow of the british academy in 2011.
- Westad, O. A., Cold War and Revolution: Soviet-American Rivalry and the Origins of the Chinese Civil War, 1993 (Columbia University Press) ISBN 0-231-07985-0
- Holtsmark, S. G., Neumann, I. B., Westad, O. A. (eds), The Soviet Union in Eastern Europe, 1945-89, 1994 (Palgrave Macmillan) ISBN 0-333-60230-7
- Westad, O. A., The Fall of Détente: Soviet-American Relations During the Carter Years, 1997 (Aschehoug AS) ISBN 82-00-37671-0
- Westad, O. A. (ed), Brothers in Arms: The Rise and Fall of the Sino-Soviet Alliance, 1945-1963, 1998 (Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press) ISBN 0-8047-3485-2
- Westad, O. A. (ed), Reviewing the Cold War: Approaches, Interpretations, Theory, 2000 (Routledge) ISBN 0-7146-8120-2
- Kang, G. H., Moon, C. Y., Westad, O. A. (eds), Ending the Cold War in Korea: Theoretical and Historical Perspectives, 2001 (Seoul: Yonsei University Press) ISBN 89-7141-563-0
- Westad, O. A., Decisive Encounters: The Chinese Civil War, 1945-1950, 2003 (Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press) ISBN 0-8047-4478-5
- Hanhimäki, J., Westad, O. A., The Cold War: A History in Documents and Eyewitness Accounts, 2003 (Oxford University Press) ISBN 0-19-927280-8
- Westad, O. A., Beginnings of the End: How the Cold War Crumbled, in Pons, S., Romero, F., Reinterpreting the End of the Cold War: Issues, Interpretations, Periodizations, 2005 (London: Frank Cass) ISBN 0-203-00609-7 (hardback) ISBN 0-7146-8486-4 (paperback)
- Westad, O. A., The Global Cold War: Third World Interventions and the Making of Our Times, 2006 (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) ISBN 0-521-85364-8 ; French translation: La Guerre froide globale. Le tiers-monde, les Etats-Unis et l'URSS, 1945-1991 (Paris, Payot, 2007)
- Quinn-Judge, S., Westad, O. A. (eds), The Third Indochina War, 2006 (Routledge) ISBN 0-415-39058-3
- Roberts, J., Westad O. A., The New Penguin History of the World, 2007 (Penguin) ISBN 978-0141030425
- Villaume, P., Westad, O. A. (eds), Perforating the Iron Curtain. European Détente, Transatlantic Relations and the Cold War, 1965-1985 (Copenhagen: Museum Tusculanum Press, 2010) ISBN 978-87-635-2588-6
- ^ a b c Odd Arne Westad's LSE International History Department Page
- ^ Odd Arne Westad's LSE IDEAS Bio
- ^ http://www2.lse.ac.uk/IDEAS/news/individualNews/20110722-WestadBritishAcademy.aspx
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of primary and secondary sources on the Cold War — Because of the extent of the Cold War (in terms of time and scope), the conflict is well documented. Following are scholarly books and articles in English. Contents 1 Overviews 2 National perspectives 2.1 Soviet 2.2 Ameri … Wikipedia
Cold War — For other uses, see Cold War (disambiguation). United States President … Wikipedia
List of historians by area of study — This is a list of historians categorized by their area of study. See also List of historians.By time periodAncient history*Ram Sharan Sharma Eminent Historian of Ancient India. *Michael Crawford (historian) *Edward Gibbon (1737 1794) The History… … Wikipedia
The Condemned Village — Das verurteilte Dorf Directed by Martin Hellberg Produced by Adolf Fischer Written by Jeanne Stern Kurt Stern Starring Helga Göring … Wikipedia
Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Commission — ALBC Logo The Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Commission (ALBC) was the Congressionally created 14 member federal commission focused on planning and commemorating the 200th birthday of the United States 16th president on February 12, 2009. The… … Wikipedia
University of Oslo — Universitetet i Oslo Latin: Universitas Osloensis Established 1811 … Wikipedia
History of Cuba — 1736 map by Herman Moll of the West Indies and Mexico, together comprising New Spain , with Cuba visible in the center. The known history of Cuba, the largest of the Caribbean islands, predates Christopher Columbus sighting of the island during… … Wikipedia
Vasili Mitrokhin — Vasili Mitrokhin, source of the Mitrokhin Archive See also: Mitrokhin Archive Vasili Nikitich Mitrokhin (Russian: Василий Никитич Митрохин) (March 3, 1922–January 23, 2004) was a Major and senior archivist for the Soviet Union s foreign… … Wikipedia
Geir Lundestad — (born in 1945) is a Norwegian historian and present Director of the Norwegian Nobel Institute and Professor of the University of Oslo. Lundestad was born in Sulitjelma, a mining community in Northern Norway, and raised in Bodø. Lundestad is one… … Wikipedia
List of London School of Economics people — This is a list of noted alumni or faculty of the London School of Economics. Heads of State or Heads of Government * Harmodio Arias (1886 1962) President of Panama, 1932 1936 * Óscar Arias (b. 1941) President of Costa Rica, 1986 1990, 2006… … Wikipedia