- NBA Rookie of the Year Award
National Basketball Association awards and honors Championship • O'Brien Trophy • Brown Trophy (defunct) Individual awards • All-Star Game MVP • Most Improved Player • Bill Russell Finals MVP • Most Valuable Player • Coach of the Year • Rookie of the Year • Defensive Player of the Year • Sixth Man of the Year • Executive of the Year • Sportsmanship Award • J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award Honors • All-NBA Team • All-Defensive Team • All-Rookie Team
The National Basketball Association's Rookie of the Year Award is an annual National Basketball Association (NBA) award given since the 1952–53 NBA season, to the top rookie(s) of the regular season. The winner receives the Eddie Gottlieb Trophy, which is named in honor of the Philadelphia Warriors head coach who led the team to the 1946–47 NBA Championship. The winner is selected by a panel of sportswriters throughout the United States and Canada, each of whom casts a vote for first, second and third place selections. Each first-place vote is worth five points; each second-place vote is worth three points; and each third-place vote is worth one point. The player(s) with the highest point total, regardless of the number of first-place votes, wins the award.
The most recent winner of the award was Blake Griffin. Thirteen of the Rookie of the Year winners have won the NBA Most Valuable Player Award (MVP) during their careers; Wilt Chamberlain and Wes Unseld both accomplished the feat in the same season. Nineteen of the forty two non-active Rookie of the Year winners have been elected to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. Three seasons had joint winners—Dave Cowens and Geoff Petrie in the 1970–71 season, Grant Hill and Jason Kidd in the 1994–95 season as well as Elton Brand and Steve Francis in the 1999–00 season. Tim Duncan of the United States Virgin Islands, Patrick Ewing of Jamaica, and Pau Gasol of Spain are the only three winners who were not born in the United States. Duncan is an American citizen, but is considered an international player by the NBA because he was not born in one of the fifty states or Washington, D.C. Gasol is the only winner who was trained totally outside the U.S.; Duncan played college basketball at Wake Forest, while Ewing immigrated to the Boston area at age 11.
^ Denotes player who is still active in the NBA * Elected to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame DP # Draft pick number DY Draft year T Territorial pick
Prior to the 1952–53 season, the Rookie of the Year was selected by newspaper writers; however, the NBA does not officially recognize those players as winners. The league did publish the pre-1953 winners in their 1994–95 edition of the Official NBA Guide and the 1994 Official NBA Basketball Encyclopedia, but those winners have not been listed in subsequent publications.
Season Player Position Nationality Team DP # DY 1947–48 Paul Hoffman Guard/Forward United States Baltimore Bullets 1947 1948–49 Howie Shannon Guard/Forward United States Providence Steamrollers 1 1949[dubious ] 1949–50 Alex Groza Center United States Indianapolis Olympians 2 1949 1950–51 Paul Arizin* Forward/Guard United States Philadelphia Warriors T 1950 1951–52[b] Bill Tosheff Guard United States Indianapolis Olympians 32 1951 1951–52[b] Mel Hutchins Forward/Center United States Milwaukee Hawks 2 1951
- a Won the NBA Most Valuable Player Award in same year.
- b Though drafted in 1962 by the Cincinnati Royals, Jerry Lucas did not sign with the team until 1963 when he tried to sign with the Cleveland Pipers of the American Basketball League instead. He ended up sitting out the year when the deal fell through. His rookie season with the Royals began in the 1963–64 season.
- c Denotes seasons in which joint winners were named
- d Though drafted in 1978 by the Boston Celtics, Larry Bird, opted to stay in college for his senior year, did not play in the NBA until 1979. His rookie season with the Celtics began in the 1979–80 season.
- e Patrick Ewing was born in Jamaica, but had become a naturalized United States citizen while playing college basketball at Georgetown. He represented the United States at the 1984 Summer Olympics.
- f Though drafted in 1987 by the San Antonio Spurs, David Robinson did not play in the NBA until 1989 due to commitments to the United States Navy. His rookie season with the Spurs began in the 1989–90 season.
- g Because Tim Duncan is a United States citizen by birth, as are all natives of the U.S. Virgin Islands, he was able to play for the U.S. internationally. He represented the United States at the 2004 Summer Olympics
- h Blake Griffin injured his left kneecap in a pre-season game. He underwent a surgery in January 2010 and missed the entire season. His rookie season with the Clippers began in the 2010–11 season.
- "Rookie of the Year Award". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. http://www.nba.com/history/awards_rookieofyear.html. Retrieved April 27, 2007.
- "Rookie of the Year Award Winners". basketball-reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/roy.html. Retrieved July 7, 2008.
- ^ "Trail Blazers’ Brandon Roy Named 2006-07 T-Mobile NBA Rookie of the Year". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. May 3, 2007. http://www.nba.com/news/awards2007_rookie.html. Retrieved July 10, 2008.
- ^ "Brand, Francis named NBA co-rookies of the year". CBC Sports. November 10, 2000. http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2000/05/09/rookie000509.html. Retrieved July 13, 2008.
- ^ "Bargnani becomes first European top NBA draft pick". People's Daily Online. June 29, 2006. http://english.people.com.cn/200606/29/eng20060629_278441.html. Retrieved June 16, 2008.
- ^ a b Friedman, David (March 2, 2009). "Bill Tosheff: NBA Co-Rookie of the Year and Tireless Advocate for the "Pre-1965ers". 20 Second Timeout. http://20secondtimeout.blogspot.com/2009/03/bill-tosheff-nba-co-rookie-of-year-and_02.html. Retrieved September 1, 2011.
- ^ Goldstein, Allan (October 30, 1994). "NBA forgot it honored Hoffman". The Baltimore Sun (Tribune Company). http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1994-10-30/sports/1994303066_1_hoffman-paul-arizin-alex-groza. Retrieved September 1, 2011.
- ^ Sachare, Alex (1994). The Official NBA Basketball Encyclopedia. New York: Villard Books. p. 371. ISBN 9780679432937.
- ^ "Jerry Lucas Bio". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. http://www.nba.com/history/players/lucasj_bio.html. Retrieved July 13, 2008.
- ^ "Larry Bird Bio". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. http://www.nba.com/history/players/bird_bio.html. Retrieved July 13, 2008.
- ^ Ralph Wiley (January 7, 1985). "The Master Of The Key: After years of relying on others to unlock doors for him, Georgetown's center Patrick Ewing will soon go off on his own". Sports Illustrated. http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1119034/3/index.htm. Retrieved June 16, 2008.
- ^ "All-Time USA Basketball Men's Roster: E". USA Basketball. http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=men_alpha_E. Retrieved July 13, 2008.
- ^ Dave Anderson (May 18, 1987). "Sports of the Times; The Robinson Plot Thickens". The New York Times. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0DEFDF133EF93BA25756C0A961948260. Retrieved June 16, 2008.
- ^ "David Robinson". basketball-reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/robinda01.html. Retrieved June 20, 2008.
- ^ "Virgin Islands". CIA World Factbook. https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/vq.html. Retrieved August 12, 2008.
- ^ "All-Time USA Basketball Men's Roster: D". USA Basketball. http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=men_alpha_D. Retrieved June 16, 2008.
- ^ "Griffin's rookie season lost to injury". ESPN.com. January 13, 2010. http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=4823032. Retrieved January 13, 2010.
NBA Rookie of the Year Award1953: Meineke | 1954: Felix | 1955: Pettit | 1956: Stokes | 1957: Heinsohn | 1958: Sauldsberry | 1959: Baylor | 1960: Chamberlain | 1961: Robertson | 1962: Bellamy | 1963: Dischinger | 1964: Lucas | 1965: Reed | 1966: Barry | 1967: Bing | 1968: Monroe | 1969: Unseld | 1970: Alcindor | 1971: Cowens & Petrie | 1972: Wicks | 1973: McAdoo | 1974: DiGregorio | 1975: Wilkes | 1976: Adams | 1977: Dantley | 1978: Davis | 1979: Ford | 1980: Bird | 1981: Griffith | 1982: Williams | 1983: Cummings | 1984: Sampson | 1985: Jordan | 1986: Ewing | 1987: Person | 1988: Jackson | 1989: Richmond | 1990: Robinson | 1991: Coleman | 1992: Johnson | 1993: O'Neal | 1994: Webber | 1995: Hill & Kidd | 1996: Stoudamire | 1997: Iverson | 1998: Duncan | 1999: Carter | 2000: Brand & Francis | 2001: Miller | 2002: Gasol | 2003: Stoudemire | 2004: James | 2005: Okafor | 2006: Paul | 2007: Roy | 2008: Durant | 2009: Rose | 2010: Evans | 2011: Griffin
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
NBA Rookie of the Year Award — Der NBA Rookie of the Year Award ist eine Auszeichnung der National Basketball Association (NBA) für den besten Neuling (engl.: rookie), d. h. Spieler in seiner ersten NBA Saison, der Liga in der regulären Saison. Geschichte Der NBA Rookie of the … Deutsch Wikipedia
NBA Rookie of the Month Award — John Wall receiving the February 2011 Rookie of the Month Award The T Mobile National Basketball Association Rookie of the Month Award is presented monthly by the league to honor the top rookie in both conferences (Eastern and Western… … Wikipedia
NBA Executive of the Year Award — Der National Basketball Association s Executive of the Year Award ist eine seit der NBA Saison 1972/73 vergebene Auszeichnung an den besten General Manager (GM) der Liga. Anders als bei den anderen Auszeichnungen der National Basketball… … Deutsch Wikipedia
NBA Coach of the Year Award — Der NBA Coach of the Year Award (Red Auerbach Trophäe) wird seit der Saison 1962/63 an den besten Trainer der nordamerikanischen Basketballliga NBA vergeben. Der Gewinner wird mit einer Wahl am Ende der regulären Spielzeit jeder NBA Saison… … Deutsch Wikipedia
NBA Coach of the Year Award — National Basketball Association awards and honors Championship • O Brien Trophy … Wikipedia
NBA Executive of the Year Award — National Basketball Association awards and honors Championship • O Brien Trophy … Wikipedia
NBA Development League Rookie of the Year Award — NBA Development League awards and honors Championship Individual awards • All Star Game MVP • Most Improved Player … Wikipedia
NBA Rookie of the Year — Der NBA Rookie of the Year Award ist eine Auszeichnung der National Basketball Association (NBA) für den besten Neuling (engl.: rookie), d. h. Spieler in seiner ersten NBA Saison, der Liga in der regulären Saison. Geschichte Der NBA Rookie of the … Deutsch Wikipedia
NBA Rookie of the Year — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Rookie (homonymie). Le trophée de Rookie of the Year de la NBA est une distinction remise au meilleur joueur disputant sa première année dans la ligue de basket ball nord américaine. Il fut remis pour la première … Wikipédia en Français
Rookie of the Year — (dt. Neuling des Jahres, zu Rookie) ist ein Titel für den besten Sportler, der seine erste Profi Saison bestreitet. Die Auszeichnung wird in vielen nordamerikanischen Profiligen wie der Major League Baseball (MLB der MLB Rookie of the Year Award) … Deutsch Wikipedia