Sir James Douglas Elementary School
Sir James Douglas Elementary Address 7550 Victoria Dr
Vancouver, British Columbia, V5P 3Z7, Canada
Information School number 3939064 School board School District 39 Vancouver Principal Mrs D Emeno Vice principal Mr S Larochelle School type Public Elementary school Grades K-7 Language English, French Immersion Team name Dragons Colours Green Founded 1912 Enrolment 591 (January 16, 2006) Homepage http://douglas.vsb.bc.ca/
Sir James Douglas Elementary School is named after the first governor of the Crown Colony of British Columbia (from 1858–1864). The original school building was constructed in 1912. In 1956, 18 classrooms, lunchroom and gymnasium were added to the north side of the structure. Major renovations to the interior of the building were completed in 1984. The school grounds include an "imagination garden" featuring an outdoor classroom, as well as a primary and an intermediate adventure playground. There are four playing fields: one with a basketball court, and a blacktop surface for noon hour games, two all weather fields and a grassed field for baseball and soccer. Douglas is a dual track school of 485 Kindergarten to Grade 7 English students and 100 Grade 4 to 7 French Immersion students for a total of 585 students. French Immersion students begin their program from Kindergarten to Grade 3 at Douglas Annex which is located a short distance away. The overall population is multi-cultural in nature, with students representing 30 countries and speaking 26 languages. Douglas's school motto is Show you care, Be safe, Be fair.
- Currently there is a band program running early in the morning
- There are several sports teams for grades 4-7 including cross-country, soccer, volleyball, basketball, sun-run club, track and field, and a badminton team
- Monthly spirit days and fundraisers for Free the Children are held by the student council made up of grades 6 and 7.
Below are some highlights of the school's special programs and events:
- Douglas Primary teachers have participated in the VSB Literacy Pilot over the past two years.
- From 1997 Douglas has quality, daily Physical Education and has annually received the CAHPERD award (Canadian Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance) which is an award given out to fewer than 1% of schools across Canada.
- A Resource Team Model supports the integration and learning needs of 50% of our students for whom English is a Second Language.
- There is a wide ranging music program which involves students in primary choir, intermediate choir, as well as junior and senior bands.
- Colourful visual art displays are seen throughout the school highlighting student work and enhancing the interior environment.
- French Immersion Grade 7 students are provided the opportunity to apply their linguistic skills during the annual year-end trip to Quebec.
- English program Grade 7 students take part in an annual outdoor school opportunity. Students are regularly encouraged to develop strong work habits and citizenship skills.
- Recognition assemblies: encourage all aspects of student development; recognize notable accomplishments; and celebrate the musical and athletic talents developed by the students.
- There will soon be a lunch program : "Nova Foods" and it will be starting February 25th.
School Reports - Ministry of Education
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Sir Sandford Fleming Elementary School — Infobox Education in Canada name= Sir Sandford Fleming Elementary [ For School Data, Source: [http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/schoolbook/ BC Schools Book] . Province of British Columbia, Ministry of Education January 16, 2006.] imagesize= 200px motto=… … Wikipedia
Sir James Douglas Annex — Infobox Education in Canada name= Sir James Douglas Annex [ For School Data, Source: [http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/schoolbook/ BC Schools Book] . Province of British Columbia, Ministry of Education January 16, 2006.] imagesize= motto= motto… … Wikipedia
James Douglas (governor) — Sir James Douglas, KCB, (August 15, 1803 – August 2 1877) was a company fur trader and a British colonial governor in northwestern North America, particularly in what is now British Columbia. Douglas worked for the North West Company, and later… … Wikipedia
Sir Winston Churchill Secondary School (Vancouver) — Infobox Education in Canada name= Sir Winston Churchill Secondary School motto= Pro Virili Parte streetaddress= city= Vancouver province= British Columbia postalcode= V6P 3P7 url= http://churchill.vsb.bc.ca/mambo schoolnumber= 3939015 schoolboard … Wikipedia
School District 61 Greater Victoria — British Columbia Region Vancouver Island Board office location 556 Boleskine Road, PO Box 700, Victoria BC Canada V8W 2R1 Communities served Victoria,Esquimalt, Oak Bay Number of schools 56 Budget: CAD$ (millions) … Wikipedia
James Clerk Maxwell — (1831–1879) Born 13 June 1831 … Wikipedia
Peel District School Board — Board office location Mississauga, Ontario, Canada Board identifier B66125 Number of schools … Wikipedia
Watford Grammar School for Boys — Motto Sperate parati Established 1704 and 1884 Type parti … Wikipedia
Girls' Day School Trust — The Girls Day School Trust (GDST) is a group of 29 independent schools in England and Wales, catering for pupils aged 3 to 18. It is the largest group of independent schools in the UK, and educates 20,000 students each year. [ cite web last =… … Wikipedia
D. Roy Kennedy Public School — Address 919 Woodroffe Avenue Ottawa, Ontario, K2A 3G9, Canada Information School board … Wikipedia