Novoselic at the Experience Music Project in Seattle in 2008.
Background information Birth name Krist Anthony Novoselic II Also known as Chris Novoselic Born May 16, 1965
Genres Alternative rock, grunge, punk rock Occupations Musician, politician, songwriter, author, director Instruments Bass, accordion, guitar, vocals, farfisa organ Years active 1987–present Labels Sub Pop, DGC / Geffen, SpinArt Associated acts Nirvana, Eyes Adrift, Sweet 75, Flipper, No WTO Combo, The Stinkypuffs, Sky Cries Mary, Aya, Foo Fighters Notable instruments Gibson Ripper
Gibson RD Artist
Ibanez Black Eagle
Krist Anthony Novoselic II ( //; Croatian: Novoselić; born May 16, 1965) is a Croatian-American rock musician, best known for being the bassist and co-founder of the grunge band Nirvana. After Nirvana ended, Novoselic formed Sweet 75 and then Eyes Adrift, releasing one album with each band. From 2006 to 2009 he played in punk band Flipper, also recording an album, and contributed bass and accordion to the song "I Should Have Known" from the Foo Fighters' 2011 record Wasting Light.
Apart from his musical endeavors, Novoselic has been active politically, including the creation of the political action committee JAMPAC. From November 2007 until September 2010, Novoselic wrote a weekly column on music and politics for Seattle Weekly's website. Since 2008 he has been board chair of the electoral reform organization FairVote.
Early life (1965–1986)
Novoselic was born to Croatian immigrants Kristo and Marija Novoselić in Compton, California. He lived there for one year, before his parents relocated to the Los Angeles Croatian neighborhood of San Pedro, California, where he remained for most of his childhood. He has two brothers, Robert Alan Novoselic and Dillon Malloy Novoselic, and in 1973, Novoselic's sister Diana was born. The Novoselic family moved to Aberdeen, Washington in 1979, due to rising property prices in California. In 1980, his parents sent him to live with relatives in Zadar, Croatia, then part of SFR Yugoslavia. There, Novoselic attended the gymnasium. Novoselic was already interested in bands like Led Zeppelin, Devo, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, and Aerosmith. He also enjoyed rock bands like Zabranjeno Pusenje, Prljavo Kazaliste and Azra. While in Croatia, he picked up an interest in punk rock, and discovered bands like the Sex Pistols and the Ramones. He has cited Paul McCartney, Geezer Butler, John Entwistle, and Gene Simmons as the fundamental influences of his bass playing.
Sometime later, Novoselic's brother Robert introduced him to his friend Kurt Cobain, who had noticed loud music coming from upstairs. Robert told Cobain that it was his older brother, who listened to punk rock. Cobain eventually befriended the elder Novoselic, as the pair ended up sharing similar musical tastes, including a fondness for local band The Melvins. The two had several mutual friends and began hanging out shortly thereafter. At one point, Cobain gave Novoselic a demo tape of his former band Fecal Matter, and asked him to form a band together. After several months, Novoselic finally listened to the tape, liked it, and agreed to start a band with Cobain.
Cobain and Novoselic's first band lasted barely a few weeks before it disbanded, leaving the pair to move on. However, the duo eventually discovered that the Melvins could pull $80 a night for one show. Inspired, Cobain and Novoselic started a Creedence Clearwater Revival cover band, in which Cobain played drums and Novoselic sang and played guitar. That band was short-lived as well. Some months later, Cobain and Novoselic met Aaron Burckhard. While the new band never used the name, it was the first incarnation of Nirvana.
Burckhard lasted only a few months and Melvins drummer Dale Crover filled in until Novoselic and Cobain met Chad Channing. The trio recorded their debut album Bleach, released in 1989. Channing left the band in 1990 and was briefly replaced by Crover and Mudhoney drummer Dan Peters.
Later in 1990, Melvins singer-guitarist Buzz Osborne encouraged Novoselic and Cobain to check out a punk band called Scream. The pair were impressed by their drummer, Dave Grohl. A few weeks later, Scream disbanded, and Grohl placed a call to Osborne for advice. Osborne gave him Novoselic's phone number, and Novoselic invited Grohl up to Seattle (from San Francisco, where Scream broke up). Grohl passed the audition and joined Nirvana. A few months later, in the spring of 1991, the band recorded their major label debut, Nevermind, which launched the band as a worldwide phenomenon with their hit single "Smells Like Teen Spirit."
Nirvana ended abruptly in April 1994 following Cobain's death. For most of the rest of that year, Novoselic retreated from the spotlight. Novoselic and Cobain had been virtually inseparable for almost a decade, and the loss of his close friend was especially hard on him. One of few public appearances came that September at the MTV Video Music Awards, where the video for Nirvana's "Heart-Shaped Box" was awarded for Best Alternative Video. Novoselic took the opportunity to pay tribute to his bandmate and best friend.
Post-Nirvana (since 1995)
The following year, Novoselic continued to dabble in musical endeavors. He was offered the position of playing bass in a new band, the Foo Fighters, with friend and former bandmate Dave Grohl but both decided against it because they believed people would think of Foo Fighters as a new incarnation of Nirvana. Novoselic instead formed the band Sweet 75 in 1995, releasing a single self-titled album in 1997. In 2002 he performed uncredited background vocals on The Foo Fighters song "Walking a Line", written as a tribute to Cobain, during the One by One album sessions. The track is included on the One by One bonus DVD, as well as being an iTunes bonus track to the album.
In 1998, Novoselic directed his first movie, L7: The Beauty Process, a pseudo-documentary that utilizes concert footage taped in 1997 in three American cities. In 1999, he joined Jello Biafra and former Soundgarden guitarist Kim Thayil in the No WTO Combo. He then joined former Meat Puppets front man Curt Kirkwood and former Sublime drummer Bud Gaugh to form Eyes Adrift, which disbanded in 2003. This band was significant as it was the first official release in his career where he sang lead vocals. He also took a highly active role in the song writing process, co-writing several songs with Kirkwood.
Following the end of Eyes Adrift, Novoselic announced that he was quitting the music business, noting that he disliked the process of building up publicity for new records. However, in recent years, Novoselic has occasionally worked on music for a possible solo album, noting, "Right now, I'm just doing it for myself, and that's what it's all about."
In November 2006, it was announced that Novoselic would join Flipper, replacing Bruno DeSmartas on bass, for a tour of the United Kingdom and Ireland. He was a full time member of the band and had been working on their new album. On September 22, 2008, due to responsibilities at home, Novoselic announced his departure from the band. As a result, the band canceled the remainder of the tour. Rachel Thoele then replaced Novoselic. In 2009, he played a newspaper vendor in the movie World's Greatest Dad starring Robin Williams. In October 2010, Dave Grohl, former Nirvana band mate of Novoselic, announced live on BBC radio that Novoselic will be joining the Foo Fighters on their next album as a bassist and accordionist which was released in 2011: Wasting Light. Novoselic also played bass on children's music artist Caspar Babypants' (a.k.a. Chris Ballew of The Presidents of the United States of America's) 2010 album This Is Fun!, for a cover of the Nirvana song "Sliver."
Performance and recording with Foo Fighters
Novoselic's first experience with the Foo Fighters was performing backing vocals for a non-album track titled "Walking a Line," later released on a special edition of the band's album One by One. Later, during the encore of the Foo Fighters' secret show at Paladino's in Tarzana, California on December 22, 2010, the band, with Grohl on drums was joined onstage by Novoselic and the band's live guitarist Pat Smear for a version of Nirvana's "Marigold" a 1992 Grohl original, which was also a b-side on Nirvana's "Heart-Shaped Box", the first single from In Utero. Novoselic also recorded bass and accordion on the song "I Should Have Known", appearing on the Foo Fighters' 7th studio album called Wasting Light, released on April 12, 2011.
Political and Social Activism
In 1992, the Washington state legislature attempted to pass a bill called the Erotic Music Law. The law would allow courts to declare certain albums "erotic" by their content, and would make it illegal to sell those albums to those under the age of 18. A lobbying group called the Washington Music Industry Coalition formed as a response to the bill. Novoselic and Nirvana actively campaigned against the bill and performed a benefit concert for the lobbying group in September 1992.
In 1995, the Erotic Music Law was reintroduced to the Washington State Legislature as the Matters Harmful to Minors bill. Noting that the music industry had serious clout in Seattle given the success of the scene, Novoselic proposed creating a political action committee, which was named JAMPAC (Joint Artists and Musicians Political Action Committee). Over the next several years, JAMPAC fought a number of different issues, including the Teen Dance Ordinance, a 1985 law that severely limited the ability of minors to attend shows. With JAMPAC, Novoselic began to turn his focus more and more towards politics.
Novoselic remains active in politics as an elected State Committeeman, making appearances to advocate electoral reform (especially instant-runoff voting  and proportional representation) and running the website. He considered a 2004 run for Lieutenant Governor of Washington (as a Democrat, challenging an incumbent of the same party), but ultimately decided against it. He also joined the board of FairVote, then the Center for Voting and Democracy), and was appointed chair in January 2008. His first book, Of Grunge and Government: Let's Fix This Broken Democracy, was published in October 2004. It covers Novoselic's musical past, including Nirvana's rise to a world wide phenomenon of the early 1990s. . It also covers his interest in politics, his support of electoral reform, and his belief in the need to return to grassroots movements and clean up politics overall.
Novoselic spoke on matters of electoral reform at the 2006 Libertarian National Convention. He supported Democratic Senator Barack Obama in the 2008 Presidential election, though it was erroneously reported in some media outlets that he had endorsed libertarian Republican Congressman Ron Paul.
He withdrew from the campaign for county clerk of Wahkiakum County. He was running under the "Grange Party." He is a member of The National Grange of the Order of Patrons of Husbandry. However, the Grange is not actually a political party. He was running in order to protest Washington State's system in which a candidate can claim any party as their own (real or fictional) without consent or support from the party.
Novoselic has been married twice. His first wife was Shelli Dilley; he met her in high school, and they began dating in 1985. They were married in December 1989; they divorced in late 1999. In early 2004, Novoselic married artist Darbury Ayn Stenderu. He currently resides near Deep River, Washington, in rural Wahkiakum County, Washington.
QuotationWe proved that alternative music is a viable commodity.
- ^ "Reverb – "Krist Novoselic" Archives – Seattle Weekly". Blogs.seattleweekly.com. http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/reverb/krist_novoselic/. Retrieved July 18, 2009.
- ^ "Krist Novoselic ne vjeruje Bushu" (in Croatian). www.index.hr (index). http://www.index.hr/xmag/clanak/krist-novoselic-ne-vjeruje-bushu/114008.aspx.
- ^ "Nirvanin basist hrvatskog porijekla duboko u politici" (in Croatian). www.tportal.hr (tportal). http://www.tportal.hr/showtime/glazba/24409/Nirvanin-basist-hrvatskog-porijekla-duboko-u-politici.html.
- ^ "Novaselići: Nismo ni sanjali da će nam sin postati rock zvijezda!" (in Croatian). www.zadarskilist.hr (Zadarski list). http://www.zadarskilist.hr/clanci/17042010/novaselici-nismo-ni-sanjali-da-ce-nam-sin-postati-rock-zvijezda.
- ^ http://serviette.ca/audio/interviews/mp3/media/krist2.mp3
- ^ "The Krist Novoselic Dedication Page - www.novoselic.com". www.novoselic.com<!. http://www.novoselic.com/younger.php. Retrieved July 18, 2009.
- ^ "Krist Novoselic Biography – AOL Music". Music.aol.com. May 16, 1965. http://music.aol.com/artist/krist-novoselic/110291/biography. Retrieved July 18, 2009.
- ^ Novoselic, Krist. "The Daily Weekly: Krist Novoselic: My Favorite Bass Players (Seattle Weekly)". Blogs.seattleweekly.com. http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2008/01/krist_novoselic_my_favorite_ba.php. Retrieved July 18, 2009.
- ^ Azerrad, Michael (1993). Come as You are: The Story of Nirvana. New York: Doubleday. pp. 54–55. ISBN 0-385-47199-8.
- ^ Jasmin, Earnest. "Novoselic drops hint of making solo album". The News Tribune January 10, 2005.
- ^ "Bring the Noise – Krist Novoselic to play with Flipper". Blogs.thenewstribune.com. http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/ej/?title=krist_novoselic_to_play_with_flipper&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1. Retrieved July 18, 2009.
- ^ Flipper Drafts Novoselic For New Album[dead link]
- ^ "Exiting the Flipper Universe". http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2009/06/exiting_the_flipper_universe.php. Retrieved June 18, 2009.
- ^ "News Ticker: Radiohead, Aerosmith, War Child and Flipper". rollingstone.com. September 22, 2008.]
- ^ Up for Discussion Jump to Forums (September 14, 2009). "Foo Fighters Return, Dave Grohl Recruits Krist Novoselic". Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/news/foo-fighters-return-dave-grohl-recruits-1004124262.story?tag=hpfeed#/news/foo-fighters-return-dave-grohl-recruits-1004124262.story?tag=hpfeed. Retrieved July 18, 2011.
- ^ harms blog on December 9, 2010 (December 9, 2010). "107.7 The End » Krist Novoselic Helps “Caspar Babypants” Cover “Sliver”". Blogs.1077theend.com. http://blogs.1077theend.com/aharms/2010/12/09/krist-novoselic-help-caspar-babypants-cover-sliver/. Retrieved July 18, 2011.
- ^ "Caspar Babypants to rock Kirkland's socks off – Kirkland Reporter". Pnwlocalnews.com. November 22, 2010. http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/east_king/kir/lifestyle/110000669.html. Retrieved July 18, 2011.
- ^ Grierson, Tim (December 22, 2010). "Foo Fighters Secret Show Becomes Nirvana Reunion". About.com. http://rock.about.com/b/2010/12/22/foo-fighters-secret-show-becomes-nirvana-reunion.htm. Retrieved January 15, 2011.
- ^ Grierson, Tim (October 28, 2010). "New Foo Fighters Album Will Be a Nirvana Reunion". About.com. http://rock.about.com/b/2010/10/28/new-foo-fighters-album-will-be-a-nirvana-reunion.htm. Retrieved January 15, 2011.
- ^ Katherine Turman (January-February 2005). "Krist Novoselic: Smells Like Governance". Mother Jones. Opposing Viewpoints. http://0-ic.galegroup.com.ignacio.usfca.edu/ic/ovic/MagazinesDetailsPage/MagazinesDetailsWindow?displayGroupName=Magazines&disableHighlighting=false&prodId=OVIC&action=e&windowstate=normal&catId=&documentId=GALE%7CA126653168&mode=view. Retrieved 3 Oct. 2011.
- ^ "Wahkiakum Democrats Precinct Caucus". Fixour.us. http://www.fixour.us/. Retrieved July 18, 2009.
- ^ Kornelis, Chris. "The Daily Weekly: Smells Like a New Blogger: Krist Novoselic (Seattle Weekly)". Seattle Weekly. http://www.seattleweekly.com/news/blogs/dailyweekly/2007/11/smells_like_a_new_blogger_kris.php. Retrieved July 18, 2009.
- ^ "Recalling the spirit of `91". Gale Opposing Viewpoints In Context. New Zealand Herald. 24 Sept. 2011. http://0-ic.galegroup.com.ignacio.usfca.edu/ic/ovic/NewsDetailsPage/NewsDetailsWindow?displayGroupName=News&disableHighlighting=false&prodId=OVIC&action=e&windowstate=normal&catId=&documentId=GALE%7CA267813870&mode=view&userGroupName=usfca_gleeson&jsid=2f9dd3ab396cffb4d129b2e5fdc30a4d. Retrieved 10 Oct. 2011.
- ^ "Barack Obama For President". Blogs.seattleweekly.com. http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2008/02/barack_obama_for_president.php/. Retrieved August 10, 2011.
- ^ Bardsley, Garth (2008-02-05) 50 Cent, Dave Matthews, Perez Hilton, Others Endorse Candidates For Super Tuesday, MTV
- ^ "Why I'm Dropping Out". http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2009/06/why_im_dropping_out_the_grange.php. Retrieved June 18, 2009.
- ^ "The National Grange of the Order of Patrons of Husbandry – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia". En.wikipedia.org. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_National_Grange_of_the_Order_of_Patrons_of_Husbandry. Retrieved July 18, 2009.
- ^ Times. "The Spokesman Review, Former Nirvana bassist Krist Novoselic running for Wahkiakum County clerk… . Ret. June 5, 2009". Spokesman.com. http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/olympia/2009/jun/04/former-nirvana-bassist-krist-novoselic-running-wahkiakum-county-clerk/. Retrieved July 18, 2009.
- ^ Carla Meyer (27 Sept. 2010). "Former Nirvana bassist Krist Novoselic sees political potential in social networks". The Seattle Times. McClatchy Newspapers. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/musicnightlife/2013011568_novoselic27web.html. Retrieved 8 Oct 2011.
- ^ By MTV News staff report (March 10, 2004). "Soul Train Music Awards Lineup Announced – News Story | Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV News". Mtv. http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1485663/20040310/usher.jhtml. Retrieved July 18, 2009.
- ^ "The Daily News, Longview". http://www.tdn.com/news/article_23211373-6720-5482-a051-dfd870e757fd.html. Retrieved March 28, 2010.
- ^ "Novoselic's Blog on SeattleWeekly.com". http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/reverb/krist_novoselic/. Retrieved September 25, 2010.
- ^ Du Noyer, Paul (2003). The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Music (1st ed.). Fulham, London: Flame Tree Publishing. p. 101. ISBN 1-904041-96-5.
- Bloch-Garcia, Peter. "Kick Out the Jams". Real Change News. 2000.
- Krist Novoselic's blog at the Daily Weekly
- Krist Novoselic w/ Flipper
- Krist Novoselic at the Internet Movie Database
- Novoselic.com – a website dedicated to Krist Novoselic
- Krist Novoselic on Twitter
- Official forums
Nirvana Kurt Cobain · Dave Grohl · Krist Novoselic
Aaron Burckhard · Chad Channing · Dale Crover · Dave Foster · Dan Peters · Jason Everman · Pat Smear
Studio albums Live albums Compilation albums Box sets Extended plays Videos Singles RelatedArticlesBandsBooksAlbumsNevermind It's an Interview · Smells Like Bleach: A Punk Tribute to NirvanaDocumentaries1991: The Year Punk Broke · Kurt & Courtney · Classic Albums: Nirvana – Nevermind · Nirvana – A Classic Album Under Review – In Utero · Kurt Cobain: About a Son Book:Nirvana · Category:Nirvana · Portal:Alternative music Flipper Bruce Loose, Ted Falconi, Rachel Thoele, Steve DePace
Ricky Williams, Will Shatter, Bruno DeSmartass, John Dougherty, Krist Novoselic
Studio albumsAlbum - Generic Flipper, Gone Fishin', American Grafishy, Love Live albumsBlow'n Chunks, Public Flipper Limited Live 1980-1985, Nurnberg Fish Trials, Live at CBGB's 1983, Fight Compilation albumsSex Bomb Baby
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Krist Novoselić — im Jahre 2004 Krist Anthony Novoselić (* 16. Mai 1965 in Compton, Kalifornien) ist ein US amerikanischer Musiker und Gründungsmitglied der Band Nirvana. Der Sohn der aus Kroatien stammenden Krist und Maria Novoselić zog mit seiner Familie 1966… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Krist Novoselic — im Jahre 2004 Krist Anthony Novoselić (* 16. Mai 1965 in Compton, Kalifornien) ist ein US amerikanischer Musiker. Krist Novoselić wurde als Sohn der aus Kroatien emigrierten Krist und Maria Novoselić geboren. Die Familie zog 1963 nach Aberdeen,… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Krist Novoselic — en 2004. Krist Novoselic (né le 16 mai 1965 à Compton en Californie) est un musicien américain, ancien bassiste du groupe Nirvana. Sommaire … Wikipédia en Français
Krist Novoselic — Este artículo o sección necesita referencias que aparezcan en una publicación acreditada, como revistas especializadas, monografías, prensa diaria o páginas de Internet fidedignas. Puedes añadirlas así o avisar al aut … Wikipedia Español
Krist Novoselic — Krist Anthony Novoselic (Compton, 16 de mayo de 1965) es un rockero estadounidense. Fue bajista y fundador, junto con Kurt Cobain, del grupo Nirvana … Enciclopedia Universal
Krist Anthony Novoselic — Krist Novoselic im Jahre 2004 Krist Anthony Novoselić (* 16. Mai 1965 in Compton, Kalifornien) ist ein US amerikanischer Musiker. Krist Novoselić wurde als Sohn der aus Kroatien emigrierten Krist und Maria Novoselić geboren. Die Familie zog 1963… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Krist — may refer to:People with the given name Krist:* Krist Novoselic (born 1965), American rock musicianPeople with the surname Krist:* Augustin Krist (20th century), Czech football referee * Gary Krist (writer) (born 1957), American writer * Gary… … Wikipedia
Novoselić — ist der Familienname folgender Personen: Krist Novoselić (* 1965), US amerikanischer Musiker Sofija Novoselić (* 1990), kroatische Skirennläuferin Diese Seite ist eine Begriffsklärung zur Unterscheidung mehrerer mit demse … Deutsch Wikipedia
Chris Novoselic — Krist Novoselic Krist Novoselic en 2004 Krist Novoselic (né le 16 mai 1965 à Compton en Californie) est un musicien américain, bassiste du groupe Nirvana … Wikipédia en Français
Liste der Lieder von Nirvana — Logo der Band Nirvana Live (1992) Dies ist eine Liste der … Deutsch Wikipedia