Mahabubnagar, Andhra Pradesh 'Rukmammapeta' 'Palamoor. — city — Coordinates Coordinates: Country India State Andhra Pradesh District(s) Mahabubnagar Commissioner Obedhulla Kothwal MLA N. Rajeshwar Reddy MP K. Chandrashekar Rao Parliamentary constituency Mahabubnagar Lok Sabha Planning Agency Mahabubnagar Municipal Corporation Population
• 167 /km2 (433 /sq mi)
Sex ratio 0.973 ♂/♀ Official languages Telugu, Urdu Time zone IST (UTC+05:30) Area
18,432 square kilometres (7,117 sq mi)
• 498 metres (1,634 ft)
• 0 kilometres (0 mi)
• 803 mm (31.6 in)
• 35.0 °C (95.0 °F)
• 40.9 °C (105.6 °F)
• 25.0 °C (77.0 °F)
Mahabubnagar or Mahboobnagar (Telugu: మహబూబ్ నగర్, Urdu: محبوب نگر) is the biggest town in Mahabubnagar District of Andhra Pradesh, India. The city of Mahabubnagar is located at a distance of 100 km from Hyderabad. Formerly known as, Rukmammapeta and Palamoor, it was named as Mahabubnagar on 4 December 1890, in the honour of Mir Mahabub Ali Khan Asaf Jah VI, the Nizam of Hyderabad (1869-1911 AD). It has been the headquarters of the district since 1883 AD. Mahabubnagar is bordered with River Tungabhadra in the south and surrounded by the Nalgonda, Hyderabad, Kurnool, Raichur and Gulbarga districts. It is believed that the Golconda diamonds including famous "KOHINOOR" diamond came from Mahabubnagar district. It is the headquarter of Mahabubnagar District. It is also known by its erstwhile name of Palamoor. It is 100 km southwest of the state capital Hyderabad.
- 1 Geography
- 2 Demographics
- 3 Transport
- 4 Education
- 5 Sports
- 6 Politics
- 7 Mahabubnagar Theatres
- 8 Useful Information
- 9 Notable persons
- 10 Places of Tourist interest
- 11 Members of Parliament
- 12 References
- 13 External links
Mahabubnagar is located at  It has an average elevation of 498 metres (1633 feet)..
As of 2011[update] India census, Mahabubnagar had a population of 210,143. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Mahabubnagar has an average literacy rate of 82.5%, higher than the national average of 74.04.%: male literacy is 89.33%, and female literacy is 76.26%. In Mahabubnagar, 12% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Mahabubnagar has bus services, arranged by state owned APSRTC, to Hyderabad, Bangalore, Kurnool and Mumbai. The town is at a distance of 100 km,and 120 km from Hyderabad, and Kurnool respectively. Bus frequency from Hyderabad and Kurnool is very good. It is well connected with all towns of Mahabubnagar district. Best way to reach Mahabubnagar is to travel by National Highway 7 (India) (NH 7 connecting KanyaKumari and Varanasi) and divert at Jadcherla, which is 14 km from this town.
The broad gauge railway line connecting Bengaluru and Hyderabad, Chennai Egmore and Kachiguda (Hyderabad), and New Delhi and Tirupati passes through the city. There are daily passenger trains to Hyderabad, Kurnool throughout the day. There is no means of electrical trains passing till 2004 but later on from 2005 march 18 electrical trains are successfully running through this area. Hazrath Nijamuddin and Venkatadri express are some major electrical trains going through this area. There are three stations in Mahabubnagar - Mahabubnagar Main Station, Mahabubnagar Town Station ( only for passenger trains )and Yenugonda (only for passenger trains) Station. They are determined by coal and diesel till 2004 but later means of transport by trains is electrical.
Shamshabad International Airport is the nearest airport (approx. 90 km).
Famous Government schools
- Basic Practicing High School
- Model Basic School
- Girls High school
- Police Line High School
- Modern High School
Also the town boasts of many private schools (Authors - please refrain from advertising)
- Jaya Prakash Narayan Educational Society Group of Institutions - School of Engineering & School of Pharmacy (EAMCET code - JPNC)
- Jayaprakash Narayan College of Engineering(JPNCE) (EAMCET code - JPNE)
- Sree Visvesvaraya Institute of Technology and Science(SVITS) (EAMCET code - VITS)
- SVS Medical College
- SVS Dental College
- SVS Nursing College
- Government Polytechnic college
- Adarsha PG College
- Government PG College
- Al-madina college of computer science
- Sri Vasavi Degree College
- NTR Govt. Degree college for Women
- Govt.MVS Degree college
- PHRM Degree College
- Adarsha Degree College
- Swami Vivekananda Degree College
- Goutami Degree college
- Sri Chaitanya Degree College
- Sri Chaitanya PG College (Chemistry)
- Adarsha PG College
- Swami Vivekananda College
- Goutami PG college
Cricket is the predominant sport in the town. Apart from this athletics, basketball and various indoor games are given preference.
- Mahabubnagar District Sports Ground, generally referred to as 'Stadium', organises intra, inter district matches/games.
- Many people use Govt. Junior College ground for practice purposes
Latest General Elections were held on 16 April 2009 in Mahabubnagar and the following are winners:
- Mahabubnagar Loksabha - K. Chandrashekar Rao of Telangana Rashtra Samithi party
- Mahabubnagar Assembly - Late N. Rajeshwar Reddy INC(Indian national Congress).
- Zilla Parishad - K.Damodar Reddy(Chairman)
- There are good number of theaters in town viz., Tirumala, Srinivasa, Venkatadri (these theaters are located in same complex), Nartaki, Natraj(located in same complex), Hanuman(near Clock Tower), Sri Krishna(New Gunj), Maheshwari (Srinivasa Colony), Srinivasa,Menaka,Venkateshwara
- Railway Station code for Mahabubnagar main station is "MBNR"
- B. Venkateshwarlu - Journalist, Film Director, Writer and Nandi Award Winner. He is the first person, who got Nandi Award from Mahabubnagar District.
- Gorati Venkanna - Lyricist, singer
Gadiyarram Ramakrishna sarma: notable writer. He saved and worked for anciant alampur Jogulamba Temple.
Places of Tourist interest
1. Pillala marri... It is very big Banyan Tree, 8 km from Mahaboob naagar. It is believed that the tree is five hundred years of age. 2. Alampur is very famous for its Temple complex. Some of Temples located here were reconstructed which were brought from Nagarjuna Sagar valley before construction of Nagarjuna sagar.
Members of Parliament
- Shri. Kalvakuntla Chandrasekhar Rao (TRS)
- ^ http://www.yatra.in/india-hotels/hotels-in-mahboobnagar/mahboobnagar-hotels.html
- ^ Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Mahabubnagar
- ^ "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. http://web.archive.org/web/20040616075334/http://www.censusindia.net/results/town.php?stad=A&state5=999. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Palamoor NRI Forum
- MahabubnagarOnline.com all information about Mahabubnagar District
- Man and Environment A govt. registered Organisation formed by Students of Jaya Prakash Narayan College of Engg.
State of Andhra PradeshCapital: Hyderabad Topics Districts Major cities
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Mahbubnagar — Localidad de la India … Wikipedia Español
Mahbubnagar — ▪ India city, west central Andhra Pradesh state, southern India. Located on the Central Railway route southwest of Hyderabad, Mahbubnagar is also a road centre. Cotton ginning and pressing, as well as oilseed and rice milling, are the main… … Universalium
Mahbubnagar — Original name in latin Mahbbnagar Name in other language Mahboobnagar, Mahbubnagar, Mahbbnagar State code IN Continent/City Asia/Kolkata longitude 16.74385 latitude 77.98597 altitude 505 Population 136135 Date 2013 02 08 … Cities with a population over 1000 database
Mahbubnagar — Admin ASC 2 Code Orig. name Mahbūbnagar Country and Admin Code IN.02.1264408 IN … World countries Adminstrative division ASC I-II
Mahbubnagar district — This article is about the district. For its eponymous headquarters, see Mahabubnagar. Mahabubnagar Rukmammapeta Palamooru district … Wikipedia
Doulatabad, Mahbubnagar — Doulatabad mandal … Wikipedia
Narva, Mahbubnagar district — Narva village Coordinates Country India State Andhra Pradesh … Wikipedia
Nawabpet, Mahbubnagar district — Nawabpet village Coordinates Country India State Andhra Pradesh … Wikipedia
Rayavaram (Mahbubnagar district) — Raya varam is a village in the district of Mahbubnagar in the state of Andhra Pradesh, India. [cite web| last =| first =| authorlink =| coauthors =| title =Rayavaram, Andhra Pradesh, National Habitation Survey 2003| work =| publisher =Ministry of … Wikipedia
Narayanpet — City of Silk Sarees city … Wikipedia