In general, a filler is something that is used to fill gaps. Specialized meanings of the word "filler" include:

* Filler (animal food), dietary fiber and other ingredients added to pet foods to provide bulk
* Filler (linguistics), a sound spoken to fill up gaps in utterances
* Filler (materials), particles added to a matrix material, usually to improve its properties
** Fillers are mostly used in furniture industries to fill the plywood or wooden surfaces prelaminated or laminated, prepolished or polished and on all sorts of woods so that no absorbing pores or minute holes are left open. This is done prior to the application of wood polishes or finishes and wood stains so as to maintain a better look of such surfaces.

In media and entertainment:
* Filler (media), in television and other media, material that exists outside the story arc to pad out other material
* Filler (song) by hardcore punk band Minor Threat
* Filler notes, in music, notes added between beats
* "Filler track", in music, an album track that is deemed not to be a major, standout song, but one to fill a void or gap
* "Filler", short pieces of information used to 'fill' odd gaps on the printed page of a newspaper or other publication when the main feature falls short of the full page. These can be mini-articles, jokes, cartoons, recipes,little sports, poems, usually submitted by freelance writers.

In computing:
* "Filler", a field used to pad out the size of a fixed width record for a file or some other storage or transmission unit. A field named Filler is commonly used in Cobol to pad out a record and adjusted in size as new fields are added within the existing length.

See also

* Fillér, the name of various small change coins throughout Hungarian history, and one hundredth of a Hungarian forint

Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Filler — steht für: Filler (Farbe) Forint, eine ungarische Münze Filler, frühere kleinere Währungseinheit der Korona im ungarischen Reichsteil Österreich Ungarns, siehe Österreichische Krone Filler, Begriff der Tagmemik Abdecker, Berufsbezeichnung bei der …   Deutsch Wikipedia

  • fillér — [ filɛr ] n. m. • 1930; mot hongr. ♦ Monnaie hongroise. Cent fillérs. ⇒ forint. ⊗ HOM. Filaire. ● filler nom masculin (anglais filler, de to fill, emplir) Matière minérale à grains très fins utilisée comme agglomérant en travaux publics. ● filler …   Encyclopédie Universelle

  • Filler — Fill er, n. 1. One who, or that which, fills; something used for filling. [1913 Webster] T is mere filler, to stop a vacancy in the hexameter. Dryden. [1913 Webster] They have six diggers to four fillers, so as to keep the fillers always at work …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • filler — /ˈfiller, ingl. ˈfɪlə(r)/ [vc. ingl., propriamente «riempitivo»] s. m. inv. riempitivo, additivo …   Sinonimi e Contrari. Terza edizione

  • fillér — [fēl′lār΄] n. pl. fillér or fillérs [Hung] a monetary unit of Hungary, equal to 1/ 100 of a forint …   English World dictionary

  • Filler — Fill er, n. [From 1st {Fill}.] A thill horse. [Prov. Eng.] [1913 Webster] …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • Filler — (Filir, slaw. Filjar), Dorf im Kreise Gömör des Verwaltungsgebietes Kaschau (Ungarn), Eisenhämmer, Arbeiten in Holz; 580 Ew …   Pierer's Universal-Lexikon

  • filler — fill‧er [ˈfɪlə ǁ ər] noun [countable] a short newspaper article or programme on television or radio, used to take up extra space or time, and to keep people interested: • He produced a series of short fillers for television …   Financial and business terms

  • filler — (n.) late 15c., one who fills, agent noun from FILL (Cf. fill) (v.). Meaning something used to fill is from 1590s. Specifically of food products by 1901 …   Etymology dictionary

  • filler — ► NOUN 1) something used to fill a gap or cavity, or to increase bulk. 2) an item serving only to fill space or time …   English terms dictionary

  • filler — [fil′ər] n. a person or thing that fills; specif., a) matter added to some other to increase bulk, improve consistency, etc. b) a preparation used to fill in the cracks, grain, etc. of wood before painting or varnishing c) the bunch of blended… …   English World dictionary

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.