- Manual Arts High School
Manual Arts High SchoolIt Can Be Done Location 4131 South Vermont Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90037
Information Type Public Established 1910 School district Los Angeles Unified School District Principal Robert D. Whitman Jr. Grades 9–12 Enrollment 4,000 Color(s) Purpleand Gray Athletics conference Coliseum League Mascot Toiler Website Official website
Manual Arts High School was established in 1910 in the middle of bean fields, one-half mile from the nearest bus stop. It was the third school in Los Angeles, California after Los Angeles High School and L.A. Polytechnic High School, and is the oldest high school still on its original site in the Los Angeles Unified School District.
After three semesters in an abandoned grammar school building, Manual Arts High School was opened on Vermont Avenue. After the 1933 earthquake, the entire campus was rebuilt, constituting the present Manual Arts High School campus. In 1995, "The Arts" became a Pacific Bell Education First Demonstration Site joining thirteen other demonstration sites in California, and in 1996 the school was named a California Distinguished School. In 1998, Manual Arts was officially granted Digital High School status.
The 2005–2006 school year opened with small learning communities (SLCs), three on each track totaling nine SLCs. Manual Arts was relieved by the opening of Santee Education Complex in 2005. The school was relieved in 2007 when West Adams Preparatory High School opened. During the same year, a section of the Manual Arts attendance zone was transferred to Belmont High School.
In July 2008, the school became part of MLA Partner Schools through LAUSD's newly created iDesign Schools Division. MLA Partner Schools, in collaboration with West Ed, will operate Manual Arts on a 5-year performance contract approved by the LAUSD School Board.
In the 2011–2012 school year, Manual Arts will return to a traditional school calendar schedule . As a result, several of the school’s small learning communities will be restructured and the number of security on campus will be reduced . There are 6 janitors that clean the school daily.
The racial make-up of the school is mostly Latinos and African-Americans and the neighborhood surrounding the school reflects the same make-up.
During the 2004–2005 school year, MAHS had 3,766 students, including:
- 3,054 Hispanics (81.1%)
- 701 African-Americans (18.6%)
- 5 White Americans (1%)
- 4 Asian Americans (1%)
- 2 Native Americans (1%)
As of 2010, the dropout rate at Manual Arts was 68%.
With more than 90% of students qualifying for free or reduced lunch provided by the Los Angeles Unified School district  some students have noted that sometimes meals are not heated properly.
The school also maintains a store where students may purchase snacks.
- Jon Arnett, football star, member of the College Football Hall of Fame, class of 1952
- Verna Arvey, musician and writer
- Gus Arriola, cartoonist and creator of Gordo, class of 1935
- Lyman Bostock, professional baseball player, class of 1968
- Nacio Herb Brown, songwriter, class of 1915
- Yvonne Brathwaite Burke, L.A. County Supervisor
- Frank Capra, film director
- Leland Curtis, artist, environmentalist and Antarctic explorer
- Jimmy Doolittle, World War II aviator, class of 1914
- Tom Fears, professional football player, class of 1941
- Earl C. Gay (1902–75), Los Angeles City Council member, 1933–45
- Kathryn Grayson, actress
- Philip Guston, artist, class of 1930
- John Hall, sports columnist
- Gerson Mayen, midfielder for Chivas USA of Major League Soccer, class of 2005
- Robin Harris, comedian and actor, class of 1971
- Ed Heinemann, Self taught aerospace engineer and aircraft designer for the Douglas Aircraft Company.
- Bernard Jefferson, Justice, California Supreme Court
- Reuben Kadish, artist, class of 1930
- Goodwin Knight, 31st governor of California, class of 1914
- Ernie Orsatti, outfielder for the St. Louis Cardinals
- Victor Orsatti, Hollywood agent, film and television producer
- Jerry D. Page, United States Air Force General, class of 1932
- Dwayne Polee, professional basketball player, class of 1981
- Jackson Pollock, artist, class of 1930 (left before graduation)
- Irving Stone, author
- Mark Ridley-Thomas, California State Senator, class of 1972
- Eugene Selznick, American Hall of Fame volleyball player
- Lawrence Tibbett, baritone, Metropolitan Opera
- Paul Winfield, actor
- ^ Santee Education Complex
- ^ Central Los Angeles Area New High School 2
- ^ iDesign Schools
- ^ Central Region High School 16
- ^ South Los Angeles High School 3
- ^ http://www.mahs.org/apps/news/show_news.jsp?REC_ID=180761&id=0
- ^ http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-banks-20110517,0,7004032.column
- ^ School profile
- ^ http://idea.gseis.ucla.edu/educational-opportunity-report/2011/eor-hs-detail.php?cds_code=19647331935519
- ^ 
- ^ http://www.metnews.com/articles/obit032002.htm
- ^ "Jackson Pollock." Stony Brook University.
- ^ State Sentator Ridley-Thomas biography
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
duPont Manual High School — Coordinates: 38°13′19″N 85°45′29″W / 38.22200°N 85.75800°W / 38.22200; 85.75800 … Wikipedia
DuPont Manual High School — Infobox Secondary school name = duPont Manual High School motto = established = 1892 type = Public Secondary Magnet principal = Larry Wooldridge students = 1,800 (2003 2004) grades = 9–12 city = Louisville state = Kentucky country = United States … Wikipedia
Emmerich Manual High School — Infobox School name = Emmerich Manual High School imagesize = caption = location = streetaddress = 2405 Madison Avenue region = city = Indianapolis state = Indiana district = Indianapolis Public Schools zipcode = 46225 country = USA coordinates … Wikipedia
Brooklyn Technical High School — Infobox School name = Brooklyn Technical High School motto = established = 1922 type = Public, Specialized High School principal = Randy Asher founder = Dr. Albert L. Colston faculty = 227 [http://schools.nyc.gov/daa/SchoolReports/05asr/313430.pdf… … Wikipedia
Brea Olinda High School — articleissues refimprove=June 2008Infobox School name = Brea Olinda High School established = 1927 type = Public 4 year district = Brea Olinda Unified School District principal = Jerry Halpin viceprincipal = Dana Lynch, Bob Parish, Pam Valenti… … Wikipedia
Brother Martin High School — Address 4401 Elysian Fields Avenue New Orleans, Louisiana, (Orleans Parish), 70122 … Wikipedia
Minneapolis South High School — Infobox Secondary school name = Minneapolis South High School established = 1885 type = Public city = Minneapolis state = Minnesota country = USA district = Minneapolis Public Schools principal = Dr. Linda Nelson grades = 9–12 students = 1800+… … Wikipedia
Ottawa Township High School — Location Ottawa, Illinois, LaSalle County, USA Information Type Public Established 1897 Locale District … Wikipedia
Mira Loma High School — File:Logo miraloma1.jpg Location Sacramento, California, Sacramento County, 95821 United States Information Type … Wikipedia
Dysart State High School — Infobox School name = Dysart State High School imagesize = caption = streetaddress = Edgerley Street PO Box 186, city = Dysart, Queensland state = QLD county = Australia zipcode = 4749 country = AUS coordinates = coord |… … Wikipedia