- Anwar al-Awlaki
image_size = 150px
name = Anwar al-Awlaki
Anwar al-Awlaki (also spelled Aulaqi) is a
Muslimlecturer and teacher from New Mexico.
His parents are from
Yemen, where he lived for eleven years and received the early part of his Islamic education. [cite web |url=http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2001/09/0927_imampart1.html |title=Attack on America: An Islamic Scholar's perspective |publisher=National Geographic News |date= 2001-11-28|accessdate=2007-06-07] Awlaki has served as an Imamin Colorado, California, and most recently in the Washington, D.C.area where he headed the Dar Al-Hijrah Islamic Centre and was also the Muslim Chaplainat George Washington University[cite web |url=http://www.cageprisoners.com/campaigns.php?id=412 |title=Imam Anwar Al Awlaki - A Leader in Need |publisher=Cageprisoners.com |date= 2006-11-08|accessdate=2007-06-07] . He migrated to Yemen and despite having no travel restrictions, he currently does not wish to leave his home country.He holds a B.S. in Civil Engineering from Colorado State University, an M.A. in Education Leadership from San Diego State Universityand was working on a Doctoratedegree in Human Resource Development at George Washington University.
31 August 2006, ostensibly due to a Yemeni Secret Police investigation over Yemeni Tribal issues, Awlaki was detained for questioning by the Yemeni authorities. According to reports, he was illegally detained at the behest of the USA and interrogated by the FBI. [http://www.cageprisoners.com/articles.php?id=22926] and as made clear in the following interview: [http://www.cageprisoners.com/articles.php?id=22926]
12 December 2007, Awlaki was released by the Yemeni authorities and was reunited with his family. Upon his release he issued the following statement:
"Dear Brothers and Sisters, Assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh. Alhamdulillah I have been released on the 12th of December after spending almost a year and a half behind bars. The time I spend in detention was a great blessing from Allah. They were moments of contemplation and study which I was greatly in need of. Alhamdulillah, Allah has blessed me during that time of solitude with tranquility and peace to the extent that at most of the time I was preferring detention over freedom. Now that I am free I ask Allah to enable me to thank Him for his blessings. I am greatly moved to know that many of my brothers and sisters have been asking about my situation and praying for my release. I thank them all. May Allah reward all of you with Paradise."
Imam Anwar alAwlaki currently resides in Yemen, and runs a website and blog at http://www.anwar-alawlaki.com
Imam Anwar al-Awlaki has studied in the circles of the scholars of Makkah and Madina for a short period (a few months) and for a short while attended the circle of Shaykh Ibn Uthaymeen.
In addition to an ijaza in Quran recitation according to the recitation of Hafs he has read and completed Sahih al Bukhari with Shaykh AbdulRahman Shumailah al Ahdal and has received ijazah to narrate Sahih al Bukhari, from Shaykh AbdulRahman, through three high isnaads, one of them being the highest existing isnaad in the world. The other two Shaykh AbdulRahman received from his shuyukh in Makkah.
Imam al-Awlaki has also read and completed Sahih Muslim and al Muwata by Imam Malik with Shaykh AbdulRahman and received ijazah on both books. He has studied al Minhaaj by Imaam Nawawi on Shafi fiqh with Shaykh AbdulRahman al Ahdal and Shaykh Hamud al Ahdal and received ijaza from both of them.
The above mentioned shuyukh have also given Imam al-Awlaki ijazah to narrate through their isnaad the six books of Hadith, al Adhkaar by Imaam Nawawi, al Shifa by Qadhi Iyaad, and some other books in Shafi fiqh.
Imam al-Awlaki has also studied, traveled and lived with Shaykh Hassan al Ahdal and it was through him that he was able to study with other scholars from this blessed family of scholars who are descendants of al Hussain bin Ali may Allah be pleased with them. They are based in al Marawa’ah in Tihama which is in the Western part of Yemen on the coast of the Red Sea and this is the land of the Sahabi Abu Musa al Ash’ari. Shaykh Hassan al Ahdal has given Imam al-Awlaki a general ijaza in the six books of hadith, Buloogh al Maraam by Ibn Hajjar al Asqalani, Umdat al Ahkaam by al Maqdisi, al Minhaaj by al Nawawi, al Ghaya wal Taqreeb by Abu Shuja, and al Waraqaat by al Juwaini. The Imam has also spent a short time with Shaykh Salman al Odah.
Al-Awlaki has mentioned that he has also benifitted considerably from the scholars he had met in the US during the 90’s, a time in which there was a great influx of islamic scholars in America.
Imam Anwar al-Awlaki has also studied with and continues to learn from Shaykh Hussein bin Mahfoodh. Whom he who says "is a friend whose relationship with me extends over the years. ...I have benefited and continue to benefit from the Shaykh whom I trust his deen and know him to be a scholar who does not fear in the sake of Allah and is willing to stand up for the truth... until this day, I consult with him on the various important aspects of Sharia that I am presented with and I have continued to benefit from his knowledge and wisdom over the years. I have accompanied him and traveled with him and consider him to be one of the best scholars that I have came [sic] to know."
In 2002 Imam Awlaki was given permission from the administration of the University of Eman in Yemen to attend any classes at any level whereupon he attended classes in Tafsir and Fiqh for a period of a few months. He also took knowledge from Shaykh Abdul Majid al Zindani the Rector of the University.
In addition to the ijaza’s mentioned above Imam al-Awlaki has a general ijaza in Quran, Sciences of Quran, Hadith, Sciences of Hadith, Tafsir , Fiqh, Usool Fiqh and Arabic from:Shaykh Hassan Maqbooli al AhdalShaykh Hussein bin MahfoodhShaykh AbdulRahman Shumailah al AhdalShaykh Hamud Shumailah al Ahdal
Anwar al-Awlaki is reputed for holding many lectures many of which are available for download or available on CD.
Lectures coming soon.........
Madina Period Vol 2
The crusaders and Al Andalus
Curent audio lectures......
* "'The Battle of Hearts and mind
* "'The dust will never settle down
* "'Dreams & interpertations
* The Hereafter — 16 CDs - Al Basheer Productions
* Life of
Muhammad:Makkan Period - 16 CDs - Al Basheer Productions
* Life of
Muhammad:Medinan Period- A Lecture in 2 Parts - 18 CDs - Al Basheer Productions
* Lives of the Prophets (AS) — 16 CDs - Al Basheer Productions
* Abu Bakr as-Siddiq (RA): His Life & Times - 15 CDs - Al Basheer Productions
Umar ibn al-Khattāb(RA):His Life & Times - 18 CDs - Al Basheer Productions
* 25 Promises from Allah to the Believer - 2 CDs - Noor Productions
* Companions of the Ditch & Lessons from the Life of Musa (AS) - 2 CDs - Noor Productions
* Remembrance of Allah & the Greatest Ayah - 2 CDs - Noor Productions
* Stories from
Hadith— 4 CDs - Center for Islamic Information and Education (CIIE)
* Hellfire & The Day of Judgment - 1 CD - Center for Islamic Information and Education (CIIE)
* Quest for Truth: The Story of Salman Al-Farsi (RA)- 1 CD - Center for Islamic Information and Education (CIIE)
* Trials & Lessons for Muslim Minorities - 1 CD - Center for Islamic Information and Education (CIIE)
* Young Ayesha (RA) & Mothers of the Believers (RA) - 1 CD - Center for Islamic Information and Education (CIIE)
* Understanding the Quran - 1 CD - Center for Islamic Information and Education (CIIE)
* Lessons from the Companions (RA) Living as a Minority - 1 CD - Center for Islamic Information and Education (CIIE)
* The Story of Ibn Al-Akwa: Mashari Al-Ashwaq - A Lecture in 15 Parts - Unpublished
* Allah is Preparing us for Victory - A Lecture in 2 Parts - Unpublished
* The Quran: The Book of Tolerance - A Lecture in 1 Part - Unpublished
* Surat Taha - Short Talks after Fajr 2 Parts - Unpublished
* Giving & Investing in the Hereafter - A Lecture in 1 Part - Unpublished
* Goodly Word, Goodly Tree - A Lecture in 1 Part - Unpublished
* Naseeha - A Lecture in 1 Part - Unpublished
* Hijra - A Lecture in 1 Part - Unpublished
* Revivers of the Message - A Lecture in 1 Part - Unpublished
* The Truth of Suleiman (AS) & Magic / Magic, Jinn & Freemasons - A Lecture in 1 Part - Unpublished
* Tolerance: A Hallmark of Muslim Character - A Lecture in 1 Part - Unpublished
* Trust in Allah but Tie Your Camel - A Lecture in 1 Part - Unpublished
* Brutality Towards Muslims - Khutbah - Unpublished
* The War on Islam - Khutbah - Unpublished
* Story of the Bull - Khutbah - Unpublished
* The Constants of Jihad - A Lecture in 6 Parts - Unpublished
Most of Unpublished Imam Awlaki's Lectures mentioned above can be downloaded for free of charge www.salaattime.com and click Audio.
You can contact Imam Anwar al Awlaki via his website and blog at http://www.anwar-alawlaki.com
*cite news |url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/liveonline/01/nation/ramadan_awlaki1119.htm |title=Understanding Ramadan: The muslim month of fasting |publisher=Washington Post |date=
* [http://www.anwar-alawlaki.com Official Website of Shaykh Anwar Al-Awlaki]
* [http://kalamullah.com/anwaral-awlaki.html Download Sheikh Anwar Al-Awlaki Lectures]
* [http://www.alwahy.com World's Largest Muslim Social Media www.alwahy.com]
* [http://hamzajennings.com/?page_id=591 Imam Anwar Al-Awlaki MP3's]
* [http://www.halaltube.com/anwar-al-awlaki Anwar al-Awlaki Audio and Video Lectures]
* [http://www.backtoislam.com/?cat=78 www.BackToIslam.com]
* [http://www.salaattime.com/anwar.html Audio Lectures]
* [http://imamawlaki.blogspot.com/ Imam Awlaki Blogspot]
* [http://www.al-basheer.com Al-Basheer publications]
* [http://www.cageprisoners.com/articles.php?id=22926 Moazzam Begg Interviews Imam Anwar Al Awlaki]
* [http://www.hoor-al-ayn.com/anwar-al-awlaki.html The Hereafter Series]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Anwar al-Awlaki — im Oktober 2008 Anwar al Awlaki (auch Aulaqi geschrieben; arabisch أنور العولقي, DMG Anwar al ʿAwlaqī; * 22. April 1971 in … Deutsch Wikipedia
Anwar — is the English transliteration of two Arabic names commonly used in the Muslim World: the male given name Anwar (), meaning luminous ; or the female given name Anwār (), meaning a collection of lights. Both names may also be encountered as… … Wikipedia
Anwar al-Awlaqi — Naissance 22 avril 1971 Las Cruces, Nouveau Mexique … Wikipédia en Français
Denver Islamic Society — Anwar al Awlaki The Denver Islamic Society, Masjid Al Noor, at 2124 South Birch Street in Denver, Colorado, is a community run mosque. … Wikipedia
Al-Qaïda dans la péninsule arabique — Anwar al Awlaki. Al Qaïda dans la péninsule arabique (AQPA) est une organisation islamique armée active principalement au Yémen et en Arabie Saoudite. AQPA est issu de la fusion, en janvier 2009, des composantes saoudienne et yéménite d Al Qaïda… … Wikipédia en Français
Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab — Born December 22, 1986 (1986 12 22) (age 24) Kaduna, Nigeria … Wikipedia
Northwest Airlines Flight 253 — Flight 253 was moved to an isolated area just after it landed in Detroit. Occurrence summary … Wikipedia
Nidal Malik Hasan — نضال مالك حسن Major Nidal Malik Hasan Nickname AbduWali … Wikipedia
Fort Hood shooting — Killeen police SWAT team responds to the shooting … Wikipedia
Dar Al-Hijrah — Islamic Center Dar Al Hijrah Islamic Center; 2008 Basic information Location Culmore, VA, US, in the Lake Barcroft area of unincorporated Fairfax County, between Bailey s Crossroads and Seven corners … Wikipedia