show_name = Caillou
image_size = 250px
caption = Gilbert the Cat and Caillou
runtime = 30 minutes
country = CAN
last_aired = present
network = Teletoon
imdb_id = 0262153
tv_com_id = 7418|
Caillou is a children's television show based on the books by Christine L'Heureux and illustrator Hélène Desputeaux. Many of the stories in the animated version begin with a teacher (who's also the show's narrator) introducing the story to her students, then reading the story out of the book. Caillou first aired on Canada's Teletoon channel in 1998; it later made its US debut on
PBSon September 4, 2000.
In French, "caillou" usually means "pebble" or "stone", but it can also mean "bald head", which was most likely the writer's intention. The action of the story takes place in Canada, though that is never explicitly referenced in the dialogue.
*Caillou - A 4-year-old boy who throughout the series is fascinated by the world around him and guided through it by friends and family.
*Doris - Caillou's mother. She is a secretary, and always wears a red shirt (except when cleaning or at the beach, she wears white). She often helps Caillou when he needs it.
*Boris - Caillou's father. He is a good father. When he repairs anything, it sometimes does not go well.
* Rosie (French name: "Mousseline") - Caillou's little sister. A redhead with a tinge of mischief, she sometimes gets Caillou into trouble, but is a good girl. Rosie is about two years younger than Caillou. She pretends to be (although she is not) very independent. In later seasons of the program, she becomes more talkative and independent.
* Grandma - Caillou's grandma. She often comes up with creative ideas to solve Caillou's problems.
* Grandpa - Caillou's grandpa. He often takes walks with Caillou and is often involved in outdoor activities with him too. He is Boris's father.
Caillou's Friends and Neighbors
* Paul Hinkle (French name: "Monsieur Lajoie") - Caillou's neighbor, introduced in the 1998 episode "Caillou's Not Afraid Anymore". He has a gold tooth.
* Leo - A redhead, Leo started out as a bully in the 1999 episode "Caillou Goes To Daycare", but quickly befriended Caillou in the same episode. He is four years old like Caillou. They've been inseparable since. According to "Caillou's Holiday Movie", Leo is
Jewishand celebrates Hanukkah. In one episode, Leo's mother is Mrs. Martin, the teacher at day care, though in others his mother is a different woman.
* Clementine - Clementine was the first to befriend Caillou in the 1998 episode "Caillou Goes To Daycare". She is four years old like Caillou and Leo and can get rather bossy sometimes, but all in all she's pretty understanding. She is of Black Canadian heritage.
* Sarah - Caillou first met her in "Caillou Goes Round the Block". She is eight years old and already attends school. She is of Chinese heritage and celebrates
Chinese New Year.
* André - A redheaded boy who is six. André is introduced in the Caillou episode "Caillou's Big Friend". He is clumsy, and Caillou didn't like him at first, but soon became friends. According to the song "Days of the Week" released on the Caillou music CD "Caillou and Friends", Caillou plays with him every Saturday.
*Julie - Caillou's babysitter. She is 16, blonde, and enjoys playing with Caillou. Together, they are like brother and sister, enjoying times together.
*Mr. Washington - A bus driver. Apparently the same driver that drove the bus Caillou's dad rode to school many years ago.
* Jeffrey & Jason - are twins. They like playing with Caillou.
*Billy - Billy is Clementine's older brother. He is usually seen playing in a band with his friends or playing in sports. His age is unknown, but he appears to be at least 12 years old.
*Ms. Martin - Caillou's teacher. She has red hair and always wears overalls
The puppet segments are used only on the PBS telecasts of "Caillou", in order to fill the show's time slot. While "Caillou" has slots for commercials, and the English Teletoon shows ads during the breaks, PBS does not show paid advertising during the program. Note that the newer shows don't have the puppets.
* Matthew Theodore Bear/"Teddy Bear" - An old teddy bear that once belonged to Caillou's daddy, Teddy is reasonable, cute and brown. He is somewhat pessimistic, but all in all, he just needs a hug.
* Gilbert the Cat - Caillou's cat. He has a greyish-blue body with black stripes and loathes dogs with a passion. He especially hates the bulldog in the neighbourhood. In the puppet segments of the program, Gilbert often composes odes.
* Rexy - Caillou's toy dinosaur. Bluish in color and speaks in a somewhat Hispanic accent, he is very playful. Rexy has the incapability to give a "good" hug. Rexy is noted for being rather pedantic.
* Deedee - A brown squirrel, she has a bushy tail, and is often seen playing with Rexy. She is sometimes captioned as "Diedi".
The series was originally broadcast in French in
Canada—from August 29, 1998to November 10, 2006—and the episodes were later translated into English. The original books were also in French.
"Caillou" was designed primarily for
toddlers aged between 2-6 years old and was created by child developmental psychologists.
"Caillou" books have been made since 1987 by Chouette Publishing Inc. In 1998, 65 5-minute episodes of "Caillou" were aired in Canada and in selected markets worldwide. In 2000 they were added with 40 30-minute episodes of the show, containing a mixture of the 5-minute episodes plus new stories, songs, real kids segment and puppets. This was followed with another 16 30-minute episodes containing all-new stories in 2003. Afterwards, the show went on hiatus for three seasons (2004-2006). Additionally, the film "Caillou's Holiday Movie" was released direct-to-DVD and video on
7 October 2003. On 3 April 2006a new set of 20 episodes finally premiered after a three-year hiatus. With the new season came many changes. Caillou started attending preschool, and there were new themes and a new opening. The new episodes were animated using Adobe Flashrather than with hand-drawn animation Fact|date=September 2008. Caillou also has a different voice in the new season.Fact|date=September 2008
"Caillou" has received various awards, including Bronze World Medal from the New York Festivals.
It also had its share of controversy among everal parental groups, claiming that the main character was not a good role model for children, who reportedly started mimicking his temper tantrums.
Other foreign broadcasters
* United Kingdom--Five and Welsh version on S4C (as "Caio")
Canal Pandaand RTP 2(as "Ruca")
Pogo (TV channel)
Discovery Kidsand TV Cultura
Funding for PBS telecasts
Chuck E. Cheese's(2004-present)
Viewers Like You(2000-present)
* [http://www.caillou.com/indexEN.shtml "Caillou" official site]
* [http://pbskids.org/caillou/ PBS Kids: Official Site]
* [http://pbskids.org/caillou_french/ PBS site in French]
* [http://www.chouettepublishing.com/ All about "Caillou" and his books!]
* [http://caillou.littletoons.com/ "Caillou" opening song (:30 min)]
* [http://www.desputeauxaubin.com/ Hélène Desputeaux official site]
Credits Peter Moss- Excutive Producer
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
caillou — [ kaju ] n. m. • XIIIe forme normanno picarde; p. ê. du gaul. °caljavo, rad. °caljo « pierre » 1 ♦ Fragment de pierre, de roche, de petite ou moyenne dimension. ⇒ pierre, région. roche; gravier. Casser des cailloux, pour l entretien des routes.… … Encyclopédie Universelle
Caillou — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Caillou Género Serie animada / Infantil País EE. UU … Wikipedia Español
caillou — CAILLOU. s. m. Espece de pierre petite & fort dure. Chemin plein de cailloux. cailloux de riviere. caillou uny & poly. dur comme un caillou … Dictionnaire de l'Académie française
caillou — Caillou. a Calculus, Cautex, Saxum, Silex. Caillou uni et poli en l eau par succession de Attritus lapillus vnda. Lieux où il y a force cailloux, Saxosus locus, Saxetum. Locus calculosus. Qui est fait de cailloux, ou de pierres, Saxaeus. Quand il … Thresor de la langue françoyse
Caillou — (spr. Kaljuh), See im Kirchspiel Bonne Terre im Staate Louisiana (Vereinigte Staaten von Nordamerika), mit der gleichnamigen Bai u. dem Mexicanischen Meerbusen verbunden … Pierer's Universal-Lexikon
Caillou — Seriendaten Deutscher Titel Caillou Produktionsland Kanada … Deutsch Wikipedia
caillou — (ka llou, ll mouillées, et non ka you) s. m. 1° Pierre très dure, qui fait feu sous l acier. • Et quand d âpres cailloux la pénible rudesse De tes pieds délicats offensent la faiblesse, A. CHÉNIER Élég. 3. • Des veines d un caillou qu il… … Dictionnaire de la Langue Française d'Émile Littré
CAILLOU — s. m. Pierre très dure, qui varie par la couleur, et dont il jaillit des étincelles quand on la frappe avec du fer ou de l acier. Chemin plein de cailloux. Caillou de rivière. Caillou plat. Caillou rond. Caillou uni et poli. Lancer un caillou.… … Dictionnaire de l'Academie Francaise, 7eme edition (1835)
CAILLOU — n. m. Pierre très dure dont il jaillit des étincelles quand on la frappe avec du fer ou de l’acier. Chemin plein de cailloux. Caillou de rivière. Caillou plat. Caillou rond. Caillou uni et poli. Lancer un caillou. Fig., Cet homme a le coeur dur… … Dictionnaire de l'Academie Francaise, 8eme edition (1935)
Caillou — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Sur les autres projets Wikimedia : « Caillou », sur le Wiktionnaire (dictionnaire universel) Un caillou est une pierre. Caillou est le… … Wikipédia en Français