It Must Have Been Love
"It Must Have Been Love" Single by Roxette from the album Pretty Woman Soundtrack Released July 1, 1987
May 1, 1990
September 1, 1993
Recorded 1987 Genre Pop, Soft rock Length 4:18 Writer(s) Per Gessle Certification Gold: USA, Germany, NZ, Sweden, Austria
Roxette singles chronology "I Want You"
"It Must Have Been Love (Christmas for the Broken Hearted)"
"I Call Your Name"
"It Must Have Been Love"
UK 1993 re-release chronology "Almost Unreal"
"It Must Have Been Love"
"Sleeping in My Car"
"No sé si es amor" Single by Roxette from the album Baladas En Español B-side "Directamente A Ti"
("Run to You")
Released January 14, 1997 Writer(s) Per Gessle & Luis G. Escolar Roxette singles chronology "Un día sin ti"
"No sé si es amor"
"Wish I Could Fly"
"It Must Have Been Love" is a power ballad written by Per Gessle and performed by the Swedish pop duo Roxette. The ballad became the duo's 3rd #1 hit in the United States, and is one of their best-selling releases, leading the single to be certified gold in a number of countries.
The song, included on the soundtrack to the hugely popular film Pretty Woman, rivals "The Look," "Joyride," and "Listen to Your Heart" as the song most closely associated with them. In 2005, Per Gessle received an award from BMI after the song's four millionth radio play.
- 1 "It Must Have Been Love (Christmas For The Broken Hearted)" (1987)
- 2 Pretty Woman movie soundtrack (1990)
- 3 Alternative versions and 1993 re-release
- 4 Cover versions
- 5 References
- 6 External links
"It Must Have Been Love (Christmas For The Broken Hearted)" (1987)
"It Must Have Been Love (Christmas For The Broken Hearted)", the song's original title, was first released in 1987 after EMI Germany asked Roxette to come up with an intelligent Christmas-single. It went on to become a Top 10 hit in Sweden but EMI Germany decided not to the release the track.
This version of the song was not part of any Roxette album until the 1997 re-release of Pearls of Passion, where it was included as a bonus track. The B-side to "Christmas For The Broken Hearted", "Turn to Me", also featured as a bonus track.
Side A: "It Must Have Been Love (Christmas For The Broken Hearted)"
Side B: "Turn to Me"
Pretty Woman movie soundtrack (1990)
During the run of chart-topping singles from Look Sharp! Touchstone Pictures approached Roxette's record label, EMI, and the group about contributing a song to the soundtrack of the upcoming romantic comedy release Pretty Woman, starring Richard Gere and Oscar nominee Julia Roberts. Pretty Woman was released in March 1990 and went on to make more than $460 million worldwide.
Gessle has claimed that "It Must Have Been Love", by then a two-year-old recording, was chosen because Roxette did not have time to compose and record a new song while touring Australia and New Zealand. Gessle and producer Clarence Öfwerman took the original 1987 recording, had Marie Fredriksson replace a single Christmas-referenced line in the song and added some instrumentation and background vocal overlays to enhance the sound. Gessle claimed the soundtrack producers initially turned down "It Must Have Been Love" but changed their minds after re-editing the film.
Although "It Must Have Been Love" was part of the Pretty Woman soundtrack, the song wasn't part of a Roxette album until Don't Bore Us, Get to the Chorus!, their 1995 greatest hits release. The album wasn't released in the United States until September 26, 2000, with a different track listing.
Though the lyrics refer to a lonely winter's day after the break-up of a relationship, "It Must Have Been Love" became an international hit in the summer of 1990. It was not the first single released from the Pretty Woman soundtrack but "It Must Have Been Love" became the most successful, spending its first of two weeks at #1 on the Hot 100 in June and onto sales of 500,000 copies in the U.S. Billboard magazine listed "It Must Have Been Love" as the #2 Hot 100 single of the year behind Wilson Phillips' "Hold On". The single was released in the UK in June 1990 and peaked at #3, Roxette's best showing there, and stayed in the UK Singles Chart for 14 weeks. The song was re-released in September 1993 and peaked at #10. It was due to the success of this song that "Listen to Your Heart" and "Dressed for Success" were re-issued in the UK later that year. It later became Roxette's second of three #1 singles in Australia, spending two weeks at the top spot in July 1990, while it also peaked at #1 in Norway, for 12 weeks, and in Switzerland. It also reached the Top 5 in Sweden, Austria and Germany, where the single spent 9 months in the Top 75, while it reached the Top 20 in Italy.
In the CD liner notes for Don't Bore Us, Get to the Chorus!, Fredriksson remarked, "Our third #1 in the U.S. ...not bad for a song that was lying around, gathering dust." The soundtrack went on to be certified three times platinum by the RIAA, with total Worldwide sales of nine million. While the song went on to receive gold certification in the Austria, Germany, United States, Sweden and New Zealand.
The video was shot in a warehouse, with Fredriksson singing and Gessle playing the guitar between various prop changes. It included scenes from the Pretty Woman movie (Marie Fredriksson wearing a white dress in this movie version). There is also an alternate version of the video without the movie scenes, available solely on the VHS The Videos. According to Fredriksson, shooting the video was a surreal experience.
... the video was a weird experience. The director wanted all movements in slow motion so I had to lip sync the vocals in double speed. My first lesson in how to sing an emotional ballad Mickey Mouse style. A strange way to make a living.
- "It Must Have Been Love"
Chart (1990) Peak
Swedish Single Charts 4 UK Top 75 3 US Hot 100 1 US Hot AC 2 German Single Charts 4 Australian Single Charts 1 Austrian Top 40 3 Swiss Single Charts 1 Norwegian Singles Charts 1 Irish Singles Chart 4 Chart (1993) Peak
UK Top 75 10 End of year chart (1990) Position Australia ARIA 4 U.S. Billboard Hot 100 2
Alternative versions and 1993 re-release
A revised version of the song was recorded in a Los Angeles studio during Roxette's 1991 worldwide tour in support of the album Joyride. This slower country music-esque version, featuring a steel guitar solo in place of the original's piano, was included in the 1992 album release from that tour, Tourism: Songs from Studios, Stages, Hotelrooms & Other Strange Places.
A re-issue of the 1990 version of the song entered the UK Top 10 in September 1993 after Pretty Woman was first shown on UK terrestrial TV.
När kärleken föds
In 2006, the Swedish pop singer Shirley Clamp recorded a Swedish language cover version of "It Must Have Been Love" called "När kärleken föds" ("When Love is Born") that was released as a single in April of that year and peaked at #6 at the Swedish singles chart. On 11 June 2006, "När kärleken föds" entered eighth place on Svensktoppen. "När kärleken föds" had no words related to Christmas or other seasons or holidays.
- "När kärleken föds" - 5:08
- "Öppna din dörr" - 4:12
Other cover versions
- The Chipettes covered the song for the 1991 album The Chipmunks Rock the House.
- Mexican singer Rocio Banquells recorded her own acoustic version for her 1991 album Escucha el infinito.
- Shirley Bassey covered this song on her 1995 album Sings the Movies.
- Punk rock band Polly Esther included a cover of the song on their 2002 album Standstill.
- A cover of the song by British eurotrance group Friday Night Posse (a.k.a. Dancing DJs) featuring Soraya was released in 2004.
- Greek indie act My Wet Calvin included a cover version of the song as a hidden track on their promo single "My Greatest Hits", January 2005.
- A Hi-NRG cover by Digital Bitch featuring Sandra O was released in 2005 and included on the compilation Remixland X-Mas 2005.
- British pop duo Journey South made an acoustic version of "It Must Have Been Love" on their self-titled 2006 album.
- The song was covered in Spanish by Australian band Aleks and The Ramps on their album Pisces Vs Aquarius.
- German indie singer Get Well Soon covered this song in 2008.
- Norwegian singer-songwriter Maria Mena covered this song in 2008 and was released as a Bonus Track via iTunes UK for her fourth studio album Cause and Effect.
- The German group Italobrothers covered the song for their 2010 album Stamp!
Live cover performances
- Danish singer Sanne Salomonsen has performed the song in various live performances over the years.
- Bad Lashes (X Factor UK 2008 finalist) covered the song in the first live show.
- ^ a b "Roxette's Billboard Hot 100 chart history". www.billboard.com. http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts#/artist/roxette/chart-history/5569?f=379&g=Singles.
- ^ "2005 BMI awards.". www.bmi.com. http://www.bmi.com/news/entry/534322.
- ^ a b c d e f "Greatest hits album notes". www.pergessle.net. http://www.pergessle.net/pearls/roxette/bdbugttc.html.
- ^ "Box Office Mojo's page on Pretty Woman". Box Office Mojo. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=prettywoman.htm.
- ^ a b "Roxette's RIAA single & album certifications". www.riaa.com. http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?resultpage=1&table=SEARCH_RESULTS&artist=Roxette&perPage=25.
- ^ "Billboard's 1990 year end chart.". www.billboard.com. http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/yearend_chart_display.jsp?f=The+Billboard+Hot+100&g=Year-end+Singles&year=1990.
- ^ "Pretty Woman's soundtrack RIAA multi platinum award". www.riaa.com. http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?resultpage=1&table=SEARCH_RESULTS&action=&title=pretty%20woman&perPage=25. Retrieved 2009-02-04.
- ^ "Roxette's biography". www.sonofaplumber.com/www.roxette.se. http://www.sonofaplumber.com/biography_roxette.php.
- ^ "Swedish singles chart". swedishcharts.com. http://swedishcharts.com/search.asp?search=Roxette&cat=s.
- ^ a b "UK Chart Stats". chartstats.com. http://www.chartstats.com/artistinfo.php?id=5406.
- ^ "Roxette's Billboard AC chart history". www.billboard.com. http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts#/artist/roxette/chart-history/5569?f=341&g=Singles.
- ^ "German Album Chart". charts-surfer. http://www.charts-surfer.de/musiksearch.php.
- ^ "Australian Singles Chart". australian-charts.com. http://australian-charts.com/search.asp?search=Roxette&cat=s.
- ^ "Austrian Singles Chart". austriancharts.com. http://austriancharts.at/search.asp?search=Roxette&cat=s.
- ^ "Swiss Singles Chart". swisscharts.com. http://hitparade.ch/search.asp?search=Roxette&cat=s.
- ^ "Norwegian Singles Chart". norwegiancharts.com. http://norwegiancharts.com/search.asp?search=Roxette&cat=s.
- ^ "Irish Singles Chart". irishcharts.ie. http://www.irishcharts.ie/search/placement. Retrieved 2008-07-14.
- ^ http://www.aria.com.au/pages/aria-charts-end-of-year-charts-top-50-singles-1990.htm
- ^ "Billboard Top 100 - 1990". http://longboredsurfer.com/charts.php?year=1990. Retrieved 2009-09-15.
"Hold On" by Wilson Phillips
Billboard Hot 100 number one single
June 16, 1990- June 23, 1990
"Step by Step" by New Kids on the Block
"All I Wanna Do Is Make Love to You" by Heart
Australian ARIA Singles Chart number one single
July 7–21, 1990
"U Can't Touch This" by MC Hammer
"Verdammt, ich lieb' dich" by Matthias Reim
Swiss number-one single
7 October 1990 - 20 October 1990 (2 weeks)
"Tom's Diner" by DNA featuring Suzanne Vega
"Tom's Diner" by DNA featuring Suzanne Vega
Swiss number-one single
28 October 1990 - 3 November 1990 (top again, 1 week)
"I've Been Thinking About You" by Londonbeat
- "It Must Have Been Love" music video (Youtube, EMIMUSIC)
Roxette Studio albums Compilations Remix albums Videography Related articles Roxette singles Pearls of Passion Look Sharp! Joyride Tourism Crash! Boom! Bang! Don't Bore Us, Get to the Chorus! Baladas En Español"Un Día Sin Ti" · "No Sé Si Es Amor" Have a Nice Day Room Service Charm School"She's Got Nothing On (But the Radio)" · "Speak To Me" Soundtrack"It Must Have Been Love" · "Almost Unreal" Other Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
It must have been love — «It Must Have Been Love» Sencillo de Roxette del álbum Pearls of Passion Lado B Turn To Me Formato 7 y 12 sencillo, casete y cd single, video. Grabación 1987 1990 secciones re grabadas … Wikipedia Español
It Must Have Been Love — «It Must Have Been Love» Сингл Roxette из альбома вне альбома, OST Выпущен 1987 Формат 7 LP, CD Записан 1987 Жанр … Википедия
It must have been love (single) — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda «It Must Have Been Love» Sencillo de Roxette Publicación 23 de noviembre de 1987 Formato Disco single de vinilo (7 ) … Wikipedia Español
It Must Have Been Love (Christmas For The Broken Hearted) — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda «It Must Have Been Love (Christmas For The Broken Hearted)» Sencillo de Roxette del álbum Pearls Of Passion Publicación 1987 … Wikipedia Español
It Must Have Been Something I Said! — Infobox Album Name = It must have been something I said! Type = live Longtype = Artist = Smothers Brothers Released = April 15, 1964 Recorded = Genre = comedy Length = Label = Mercury Records Producer = Reviews = Last album = Curb Your Tongue,… … Wikipedia
Have a Nice Day (альбом Roxette) — У этого термина существуют и другие значения, см. Have a Nice Day. Have a Nice Day … Википедия
Have a Nice Day (Roxette album) — Infobox Album Name = Have a Nice Day Type = Album Artist = Roxette Released = March 9, 1999 Recorded = El Cortijo Studios, Marbella, Polar Studios, Cosmos Studios and Atlantis Studios, Stockholm, January October 1998 Genre = Pop Length = 55:31… … Wikipedia
Love's Cure — Love s Cure, or The Martial Maid is an early seventeenth century stage play, a comedy in the canon of John Fletcher and his collaborators. First published in the Beaumont and Fletcher folio of 1647, it is the subject of broad dispute and… … Wikipedia
must — 1 strong /mVst/ modal verb (negative short form mustn t) 1 (past usually had to) to have to do something because the situation forces you, because of a rule or law, or because you feel that you should: All passengers must wear seat belts. | You… … Longman dictionary of contemporary English
Love's Pilgrimage (play) — For other uses of the title, see: Love s Pilgrimage (disambiguation). Love s Pilgrimage is a Jacobean era stage play, a tragicomedy by Francis Beaumont and John Fletcher. The play is unusual in their canon, in that its opening scene contains… … Wikipedia