Edward W Ng ( b. 1939 Hong Kong) is an American Applied mathematician who has also held the positions of senior scientist, senior engineer and technical manager in the U.S. Space Program. He is noted for his broad variety of mathematical applications in space science and engineering. He has also contributed conscientiously in the spin-off of technology from the space program, with applications in such diverse subjects as Bose-Einstein distribution in mathematical physics, symbolic and algebraic computation, computational physics and biomedical research.
Ng attended the Queen Elizabeth School, Hong Kong for secondary education, and the University of Minnesota for his bachelor's degree. He received his M.A. and PhD degrees from Columbia University. He was employed at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) of the California Institute of Technology, aka Caltech under contract with the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). He retired in 2006.
Dr. Edward Ng was elected a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) and is cited in the American Men and Women of Science., as well as Marquis Who's Who in Science and Engineering. He was the editor of "Symbolic and Algebraic Computation" (ISBN 3-540-09519-5), in the Springer Science Lecture Notes Series. He was also a co-editor of the Proceedings of a NATO Advanced Study Institute in applied mathematics (ISBN 978-90-277-1571-5). He has published numerous technical papers of diverse mathematical applications in space sciences and engineering (selected list in external link below). His papers have appeared in Astrophysical Journal, Mathematics of Computation, Celestial Mechanics and Dynamical Astronomy, Journal of Computational Physics, M.I.T. Journal of Mathematics and Physics, ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software and Proceedings of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics.
- "In science, one man's noise is another man's signal." cited in New York Times (1990). The context was in space science data and the reference was to the scientific-engineering concept of Signal-to-noise ratio.
- Why Do We Explore Space? an educational paper in Space 2006, published by the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Nobel Connection to Space Program, a paper in Space 2007, published by the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics.
- High-precison approximations of Bose-Einstein Functions  in the Mathematics of Computation published by the American Mathematical Society.
Ng has received a number of NASA Awards (cf attached citations), including the special NASA Certificate of Apollo-Columbia Commemoration of the Space Transportation System–65 Flight in 1994. He also was the recipient of the American Astronomical Society Team Appreciation Award on the Deep Space Network.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (Fellow)
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics
- ^ cf. Home page, AMWS, 25th ed. Vol.5, P.766 (2008)
- ^ Lecture Notes in Computer Science #72
- ^ NATO Science Series II: Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry
- ^ An International Journal in Space Dynamics
- ^ renamed as "Studies in Applied Mathematics"
- ^ http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CE2DE1638F933A15750C0A966958260&sec=&spon=
- ^ Access to view or download paper
- ^ Space 2006 ISBN 1-56347-824-2
- ^ Space 2007 ISBN 1-56347-888-9
- ^ Mathematics of Computation, Vol. 23, #107, view excerpts
- ^ (cf 2-page citations)
- ^ cf. list, for 1962 graduates
- Selected publications by Edward W Ng
- Unclassified papers can be found by author name of E. W. Ng or Edward Ng in this NASA database
- NASA/JPL Proceedings on Information Systems for Space Astrophysics edited by J. Cutts and E. Ng
- A number of these papers are accessible via the NASA ADS Astrophysics Data System, at Harvard-Smithsonian CFA
- Edward Ng at the Mathematics Genealogy Project.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Edward I — ( Edward Longshanks ) 1239 1307, king of England 1272 1307 (son of Henry III). * * * known as Edward Longshanks born June 17, 1239, Westminster, Middlesex, Eng. died July 7, 1309, Burgh by Sands, near Carlisle, Cumberland King of England… … Universalium
Edward — ist ein männlicher Vorname und Familienname. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Herkunft und Bedeutung 2 Bekannte Namensträger 2.1 Vorname 2.2 Zwischenname … Deutsch Wikipedia
Edward — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Edward es un nombre de pila masculino inglés. Es el equivalente al español Eduardo, al francés Édouard, al catalán o alemán Eduard y al italiano Edoardo, entre otros. Es el nombre de: Personas reales David Edward… … Wikipedia Español
Edward — Edward1 [ed′wərd] n. [OE Eadweard < ead (see EDGAR1) + weard, guardian, protector (see WARD): hence, wealthy (or fortunate) guardian] a masculine name: dim. Ed, Eddie, Ned, Ted, Teddy; equiv. Fr. Édouard, Ger. Eduard, It. & Sp. Eduardo, Scand … English World dictionary
Edward II — may refer to:* Edward II of England (1284–1327), King of England 1307–1327* Edward II (play), (1592) play based on his life by Christopher Marlowe * The Life of Edward II of England (play) , (1924) adaptation of Marlowe play by Bertolt Brecht *… … Wikipedia
Edward Lu — Land (Behörde): USA (NASA) Datum der Auswahl: 8. Dezember 1994 (15. NASA Gruppe) Anzahl der Raumflüge: 3 Start erster Raumflug: 15. Mai … Deutsch Wikipedia
Edward Lu — Edward Tsang Lu Edward Lu Astronaute Nationalité américain Naissance 1er juillet 1963 (Webster, New York) Temps total passé dans l espace … Wikipédia en Français
Edward T. Lu — Edward Tsang Lu Edward Lu Astronaute Nationalité américain Naissance 1er juillet 1963 (Webster, New York) Temps total passé dans l espace … Wikipédia en Français
Edward — m English (also Polish in this spelling): from an Old English personal name composed of the elements ēad prosperity, riches, fortune + weard guard. This has been one of the most successful of all Old English names, surviving from before the… … First names dictionary
Edward Jr. — Edward Moore Kennedy Jr. Edward Moore Kennedy, Jr. dit « Ted Kennedy, Jr. » (né le 26 septembre 1961 à Boston) est un membre de la famille Kennedy. Il est le fils aîné du sénateur Ted Kennedy. Il s est marié avec Katherine… … Wikipédia en Français