- Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute
name = Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute (VJTI)
type = Private
faculty = 150
students = 2705
undergrad = 2080
postgrad = 556
doctoral = 69
campus = 16 acres Metropolitan
director = K.G. Narayankhedkar
city = flagicon|IND
former_names = Victoria Jubilee Technical Institute
vision = Gifted with a rich heritage offered by illustrious visionaries, VJTI aspires to establish and share its leadership in the field of technical education that is relevant to the national needs and yet compatible with international standards, by combining conventional engineering and latest technological advances.
free_label = Mission
free = Providing its students and faculty a technologically up-to-date and intellectually inspiring environment of scholarship, research, creativity, innovation and professional activity and inculcate in them ethical and moral values.
website= [http://www.vjti.ac.in www.vjti.ac.in]
free_label = Alumni
free = [http://www.vjtialumni.com/ Official website for the Alumni Association]
Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute (VJTI) (established
1887) is one of India's premier engineering and technical institutes, located in Mumbai, Indiaand attracts top talent. Until 26th January 1997 it was known as the "Victoria Jubilee Technical Institute".
VJTI, is a part of the
University of Mumbaiand its degrees are issued by the University, but the institution is no longer under the administrative purview of the university, since being granted autonomy in July, 2004.
VJTI was ranked 7th best in the country , among private engineering colleges, in a Mint C-Fore Survey in 2008. cite web |title=Mint C-Fore Ranking of Top Private Engineering Colleges - India |publisher=admissionsync.com |url=http://admissionsync.com/2008/06/20/mint-c-fore-top-50-private-engineering-colleges-in-india |accessdate=2008-02-03 ]
VJTI was ranked 8th best in the country , among private engineering colleges, in an
Outlook magazinesurvey in 2007. cite web |title=‘Outlook’ Ranking of Top Private Engineering Colleges - India |publisher=admissionsync.com |url=http://admissionsync.com/2007/07/27/outlook-ranking-of-top-50-private-engineering-colleges-in-india |accessdate=2008-02-03 ]
VJTI was ranked 9th best in the country , among all engineering colleges, in an
India Todaysurvey in 1999. cite web |title=Top 10 Colleges |publisher=india-today.com |url=http://www.india-today.com/itoday/14061999/edu.html |accessdate=2008-02-03 ]
=History cite web |title=History |publisher=coep.org.in |url=http://www.coep.org.in/Admissions/vjit.pdf |accessdate=2008-02-03 ] =
Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute [V.J.T.I.] , a premiere Institute ofMaharashtra, was established by Dinshaw Manockjee Petit Trust in 1887 and wasthen named as Victoria Jubilee Technological Institute. In 1913, the Institute wasdeclared as Central Technological Institute of the State. Since 1923 the Institute islocated in the present premises at Matunga, Mumbai. The Institute is affiliated to theUniversity of Mumbai.The Institute started with the Licentiate Diploma in Textile Technology and under theguidance of various visionaries, over a period of 120 years it has developed to thecurrent status which houses about 3500 students in the campus pursuing their B.Tech.,M.Tech., Ph.D. degrees and different diplomas and Post graduate Diplomas. It wasawarded the autonomous status in June 2004.
After being awarded autonomous status,VJTI now has a board of governors comprising of following people:
VJTI Board Of Governors
Nusli Wadia. ("Chairman"). Chairman, Bombay Dyeing Ltd.
Anil Kakodkar. Chairman, Atomic Energy Commission of India
* Ashok R. Joshi. Director, Indian Institute of Cost & Management Studies & Research
* A. P. Kudchadkar. Director,
Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information and Communication Technology
* Ashok Misra. Director, Indian Institute of Technology
* Jamshedji Irani. Director,
* Dinshaw Petit. Nominee of The Framji Dinshaw, N. M. Petit Memorial Fund
* Joyce Shankaran. Principal Secretary, Higher and Technical Education, Govt. of Maharashtra
* N. B. Pasalkar. Director of Technical Education, Govt. of Maharashtra
Renuka Ramnath. CEO/MD ICICI Venture Funds Management
* Anand Mahindra. Vice-Chairman & MD, Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd.
* Ranjit Pandit. Managing Director, McKinsey & Co.
* Civil and Environmental Engineering
* Computer Technology (offers courses in Computer Engineering and Information Technology)
* Electrical and Electronics Engineering
* Humanities and Management
* Mechanical Engineering
* Production Engineering
* Structural Engineering
* Technical and Applied Chemistry
* Textile Manufacturing
* Master of Computer Applications
The Institute has seven engineering departments; Civil & Environmental Engineering,Computer Technology, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, TextileManufactures, Production Engineering and Structural Engineering. It also has threesupporting departments; Mathematics, Technical & Applied Chemistry, Physics andHumanities & Management. All the departments are equipped with modern laboratories. These facilities aremade available to the students and also to the industry for testing.Curricula of all the under graduate and post graduate degree programs are regularlyupdated to include current trends and industry needs.Many experts from industry and other academic institutes deliver seminars on specialtopics and latest developments for the VJTI students and faculty.
* Mechanical Engineering Department
The Mechanical Engineering department and workshops are housed in the extensionsoutflanking the main institute on the north and was established in 1946. The department has facilities inMetallurgy, Dynamics, Refrigeration and Air-conditioning, Automobile, HeatEngines, Robotics and Automation, CAD/CAM/CAE, Mechanical Measurement s andFluid Mechanics and Workshops in Machine, Smithy, Carpentry, Filing and Welding.All laboratories have testing facilities. The department also provides certification forseveral activities on behalf of the government.
* Electrical and Electronics Engineering Department
The Electrical Engineering department is situated in the south wing and an extensionbuilding is constructed in the rear and was established in 1947. The Siemens High Voltage laboratory is accommodated in aspecial block in the south wing. The electrical workshop is housed in the extensionbuilding. The department has 14 laboratories with ultra modern equipments such asDigital Signal Processing, Microprocessor, Communications, Bio-medical, Electrical Motors and Drives and Instrumentation. Theselaboratories have testing facilities such as high voltage testing of induction motors,transformers, insulation resistance of compounds, impulse testing up to 500KV andpower frequency testing as per I.S. norms.
* Civil and Environmental Engineering Department
The Civil and Environmental Engineering department is situated in the extension ofthe main building on the first floor. The department has facilities in EnvironmentalEngineering, Air-Pollution and Noise Pollution, Bio-assay, Transportation andHighway Engineering, Land Survey, Geology and Plumbing. All the laboratoriesare equipped with modern equipment and testing facilities. The department has starteda post-graduate course in Construction Management in addition to the postgraduatecourse.
* Production Engineering Department
The office, staff-rooms and class-rooms are on the second floor of the MechanicalEngineering block. The laboratories are on the ground and the mezzanine floors. Thedepartment (earlier named as Industrial Engineering Department) was set-up in 1959.Four year degree course in Production Engineering was started in 1973. Thedepartment has four well-equipped laboratories viz. Process laboratory, Metrologylaboratory, Work-study laboratory and Computer laboratory.
* Computer Technology Department
The department situated at the Southern wing mainly on the first floor was formed in1985. The computer center was established in 1976 in collaboration with the NationalCentre for Software Development and Computing Techniques located in the TataInstitute of Fundamental Research. It is housed near the Institute's quadrangle. Acourse in Computer Applications was started in 1984, Master’s course in 1985 and aBachelor’s course in 1986. The computer center has a facility with over 150PCs and workstations for software development in several areas.
* Textile Manufactures Department
The Textile Manufactures Department is housed in a large north-light steel trustedroof building. The textile department is one of the two departments started at VJTIwhen it was first established in 1887. The department is spacious and has modernspinning, weaving and non-woven machinery in its workshops and modern testingequipments in its laboratories. The department has carried out a number of Industrialconsultancy projects including geo-textile project for paved and unpaved roads,sponsored by Department of Science & Technology, Government of India.
*Currently VJTI admits students for undergraduate programs based on their scores in the common entrance test (CET) conducted by the Government of Maharashtra.
*Admissions for postgraduate programs are through [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduate_Aptitude_Test_in_Engineering GATE] or sponsorship.
*MCA admissions are based on the scores in the MCA-CET.
*Diploma admissions are based on marks obtained in the class 10 examination.
Renuka Ramnath- Managing Director, ICICIVenture, India
* Amit Chandra - Former Managing Director, DSP
Merrill LynchLimited, India
* Keval Desai - Director, Product Management,
* Chari, Ram (Ramabhadran) Srinivas - Program Manager, Marketing Systems, US Postal Service -
USPS. Washington, DC., USA
* Bhatia, Narendra (Naren) Kumar - (Retd.) Vice President of Engineering & Construction, CMS Energy, Michigan, USA
* Salgaonkar Jagdish B - Vice President, CH2M HILL Inc., USA
* Avtar Saini - Vice President Asia Operations, Topspin Communications, Inc. Former Director for South Asia,
Jayant Patil- Minister of Finance, Government of Maharashtra
Anil Kakodkar- Chairman, Atomic Energy Commission, Government of India
Chaggan Bhujbal- Minister of Public Works Department, Government of Maharashtra
Gopal H. Gaonkar
* Sridharan, R. - Senior Staff, Lincoln Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology -
* Dr. Amit Deokar - Assistant Professor of Information Systems,
Dakota State University, Madison, South Dakota, USA
* Iyer, Mani (formerly P.S. Mani) - Director, Office of Intellectual Property, Louisiana State University
* Dr. Gajanan M. Sabnis - Professor of Civil Eng at Howard University, USA
* Dalal, Vikram - Director, Microelectronics Research Centre and Thomas Whitney Professor of Electrical & Computer Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa ,USA
* Poras Balsara - Associate Department Chair for Graduate Affairs and Director, Center for Integrated Circuits and Systems, University of Texas, Dallas, USA
* Kotak, Dilip - Group Leader, Institute for Fuel Cell Innovation, National Research Council, Canada
* Gupchup Vijay - Former Principal & Secretary, VJTI ,Former Pro Vice Chancellor of the University of Bombay, Ex Chairman of the Research Council of the Structural Engg. Research Centre in Chennai & EX Chairman of the National Board of Accreditation of the AICTE, New Delhi
* V.B.Nikam - Assistant Professor & Head of Department, Department of Information Technology, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Technological University(DBATU),Lonere India
* Gandhi, Kirti A. - Gandhi Engineering, Inc. New York, USA.
* Govind RamMurthy - CEO, Microworld Technologies, USA and India
* Suhrud Dagli - Co Founder, RiskSpan Inc., USA
* Pervez Bharucha, CTO Silicon Interfaces Pvt Ltd,India
Location of the Institute
The Institute is situated well within the heart of the city of Mumbai near the FiveGarden area and King’s Circle. On the western line, the institute lies closest to Dadar Station, on the Central Line, to Matunga Station (Central) and on the Harbour Line, both Wadala and Kings Circle Station lie in a radius of 1 km.
VJTI gives company to other academic Institutes inthe vicinity namely,
Mumbai University Institute of Chemical Technology, Centre forIndustrial Research Cotton Technology (CIRCOT), Don Bosco school and KhalsaCollege.
* "Enthusia" - Sports festival
* "Pratibimb" - Cultural festival
* "Chetna" - College Hostel festival
* "Technovanza" - Technical festival
* "Janeev" - Service to society
The college magazine is called "Nirmaan".
List of Mumbai Colleges
Timeline of Mumbai events
* [http://www.vjti.ac.in/ Official Site of VJTI]
* [http://www.vjtialumni.com VJTI Alumni site]
* [http://www.technovanza.org Official Technovanza '08 website]
* [http://www.pratibimb.org/ Official Pratibimb '08 website]
* [http://www.ieeevjti.org.in IEEE-VJTI Student Branch website]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Indian Institute of Technology Bombay — Motto ज्ञानं परमं ध्येयम् (jñānaṁ paramaṁ dhyeyam) (Sanskrit) Motto in English Knowledge is the Supreme Goal Estab … Wikipedia
University of Mumbai — मुंबई विद्यापीठ Seal of University of Mumbai Motto Sanskrit: शीलवृतफला विद्या … Wikipedia
Mumbai — Bombay redirects here. For other uses, see Bombay (disambiguation) … Wikipedia
Maharashtra — महाराष्ट्र State From Top left in clockwise direction: The Gateway of India, The … Wikipedia
Wadala Road — is a station on the Harbour Line of Mumbai s railway network.Marathi: वडाळा रोडWadala (west) remains one of the best residential areas on the whole city, with some of the quietest localities, large parks for both youngsters as well as senior… … Wikipedia
Colleges and institutes in India — Colleges Institutes= Andhra Pradesh * Andhra Medical College * Bapatla Engineering College * Browns College of Pharmacy Khammam * Chaitanya Bharathi Institute of Technology (CBIT) * CMR College of Engineering Technology (CMRM) * Deccan College of … Wikipedia
History of Mumbai — The History of Mumbai recounts the growth of a collection of seven islands on the western coast of India becoming the commercial capital of the nation and one of the most populous cities in the world. Although the islands were inhabited since the … Wikipedia
College of Engineering — A college of engineering generally refers to an institute which offers engineering course at undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral level. Either these institutes are part of a university or are affiliated to some university. The duration of the… … Wikipedia
SNDT Women's University — Established 1896 Type Public Chancellor S.C. Jamir Vice Chancellor … Wikipedia
Mumbai Metro — मुंबई मेट्रो Info Locale … Wikipedia