- Dan Barker
Born June 25, 1949 Residence Madison, Wisconsin Institutions Freedom from Religion Foundation Alma mater Azusa Pacific University Known for Advocacy of atheism and rationalism
Criticism of religion
Dan Barker (born June 25, 1949) is a prominent American atheist activist who served as a Christian preacher and musician for 19 years but left Christianity in 1984.
Barker received a degree in Religion from Azusa Pacific University and was ordained to the ministry by the Standard Community Church, California, in 1975. He served as associate pastor at a Religious Society of Friends (Quaker) church, an Assembly of God, and an independent Charismatic church. To this day, he receives royalties from his popular children's Christian musicals, "Mary Had a Little Lamb" (1977), and "His Fleece Was White as Snow" (1978), both published by Manna Music and performed in many countries. In 1984 he announced to his friends that he was an atheist.
A successful musician, Barker has composed over 200 songs that have been published or recorded. He is the current co-president with his wife Annie Laurie Gaylor of the Freedom From Religion Foundation, an American Freethought organization that promotes the separation of church and state. Barker is co-host of Freethought Radio, a Madison, Wisconsin based radio program for atheists, agnostics, and other freethinkers that has included interviews with Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Steven Pinker, Julia Sweeney, and Michael Newdow. His foundation published his book Losing Faith in Faith: From Preacher to Atheist, and he has written numerous articles for Freethought Today, an American freethought newspaper.
He is a member of the Lenni Lenape (Delaware Indian) Tribe of Native Americans, and in 1991 edited and published Paradise Remembered, a collection of his grandfather's stories as a Lenape boy in Indian Territory. Dan's father, Norman Barker, was also a musician who played the trombone. He performed a musical duet with Judy Garland in the 1948 film Easter Parade.
Barker belongs to a number of high IQ societies.
Barker has also appeared on dozens of national radio programs and forums to discuss and debate issues related to atheism and the separation of church and state. He was featured in a New York Times article about atheists, and has given addresses on religious issues at several events across the United States, including one at Harvard University.
On October 6, 2007, Freethought Radio, the FFRF's weekly broadcast originating in Madison, Wisconsin on the Mic 92.1 FM was picked up nationally by Air America. This is the first ever national atheist radio broadcast, Freethought Radio, on Air America. The one hour weekly show is co-hosted with his wife Annie Laurie Gaylor.
- Mary Had a Little Lamb (Manna Music 1977)
- His Fleece Was White as Snow (Manna Music 1978)
- Losing Faith in Faith: From Preacher to Atheist, (Madison: Freedom From Religion Foundation, 1992) ISBN 1-877733-07-5.
- Godless: How an Evangelical Preacher Became One of America's Leading Atheists (Ulysses Press, September 2008) ISBN 1569756775.
- The Good Atheist: Living a Purpose-Filled Life Without God, Ulysses Press, 2011, ISBN 978-1-56975-846-5
- Friendly Neighborhood Atheist (Madison: Freedom From Religion Foundation, 2002)
- Beware of Dogma
- ^ a b c d "FFRF: Dan Barker Biography". Freedom From Religion Foundation. 2007. http://ffrf.org/about/bio_dan.php. Retrieved 2007-09-27.
- ^ "Former Christian songwriter Dan Barker now an atheist". Metro Silicon Valley. October 3–9, 2002. http://metroactive.com/papers/metro/10.03.02/barker-0240.html. Retrieved 2007-09-27.
- ^ Amazon.com: Paradise remembered: A Lenape Indian childhood, and other stories: Books: Herbert Barker
- ^ Freethought of the Day, June 25, 2007
- ^ Sella, Marshall (1997-12-07). "Faith Is a Fraud; Godless And Proud of It". New York Times. http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F70F1EF73D590C748CDDAB0994DF494D81&showabstract=1. Retrieved 2007-09-27.
- ^ Donaldson-Evans, Catherine (2007-10-10). "Atheist Radio Show Goes National on Air America". FOX News Network, LLC. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,300719,00.html. Retrieved 2007-10-11.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Dan Barker — (* 25. Juni 1949) ist ein US amerikanischer Bürgerrechtler, Musiker, Komponist und Autor. Bekanntheit erlangte er durch seinen Einsatz für die Trennung von Religion und Staat. Inhaltsverzeichnis … Deutsch Wikipedia
Dan Barker — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Dan Barker Dan Barker es un reconocido ex evangelista cristiano estadounidense que renunció a su religión y se declaró abiertamente ateo. En la actualidad es un militante a favor de la secularización de la sociedad… … Wikipedia Español
Barker — ist der Familienname folgender Personen: Inhaltsverzeichnis A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z A Abraham Andrews Barker (18 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Barker (desambiguación) — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Barker puede referirse a: Lugares La localidad argentina de Barker. Personas Bernard Barker (n. 1917), miembro de la policia secreta cubana. Bob Barker (n. 1923), actor y presentador de televisión estadounidense.… … Wikipedia Español
Dan David Prize — Awarded for outstanding contribution in the fields of science, technology, culture or social welfare Presented by The Dan David Foundation Country Israel First awarded 2002 Official we … Wikipedia
Dan Schneider (TV producer) — Dan Schneider Born Daniel James Schneider January 14, 1966 (1966 01 14) (age 45) Memphis, Tennessee, U.S. Occupation Actor, producer, writer Years active 1984–present … Wikipedia
Dan Carpenter — Carpenter with the Dolphins in 2009 No. 5 Miami Dolphins Placekicker Personal information … Wikipedia
Dan White (actor) — Dan White Born Daniel M. White 25 March 1908(1908 03 25) Falmouth, Florida Died 7 July 1980 … Wikipedia
Dan Brereton — Brereton in May 2009 Born November 22, 1965 (1965 11 22) (age 45) San Francis … Wikipedia
Dan Brereton — Nom de naissance Daniel Brereton Naissance 22 novembre 1965 (1965 11 22) (45 ans) San Francisco Bay Area Nationalité … Wikipédia en Français