character_name=Pedro Penduko|real_name=Pedro Penduko
debut="Liwayway Magazine" (????)
Francisco V. Coching
powers=resourcefulness, quick-wittedness, aided by a magical amulet (known as "Mutya" in the TV version|
Pedro Penduko is a Filipino comic book character styled as a folk hero or superhero, created by Francisco V. Coching and debuted on Liwayway Magazine.
In his numerous incarnations, Pedro Penduko is consistently portrayed a normal human being who has no superpowers, but is resourceful and quick-witted in battling evil forces. He is aided by a magical amulet (known as "Mutya" in the TV Series). He was actually introduced in the 1994 and 2000 movies as a descendant of a family of legendary heroes but is a coward.
In the TV version however, Pedro is the son of a mortal and a lambana (fairy) whose adventure begins as he starts searching for his lost father. He then encounters extraordinary creatures unique in Philippine folklore.
Filipino actor Efren Reyes Sr. was the first to play the role in the bigscreen. This was followed by
Ramon Zamora. The most popular Pedro Penduko was Janno Gibbswho appeared in two Pedro Penduko movies. Matt Evans reprised the role on television for a season of Komiks. Komiks Presents: Da Adventures of Pedro Pendukois supposed to be only for a season but because of good ratings it was extended for two more seasons. The third and last season was retitled Komiks Presents: Si Pedro Penduko at ang mga Engkantao. Evans is the first actor to play Pedro Penduko on television and the fourth actor to play the role. Evans is credited for giving Penduko a curly-haired image, which had already become a trademark of the character.
The character became more popular when it was adapted into the big screen where it had made several excursions:
* Pedro Penduko (1954)
** Starring: Efren Reyes Sr. as Pedro Penduko with Leila Morena, Ramon D'Salva , Edna Luna and Ruben Rustia
** Produced by: Premiere Productions, Inc.
** Directed by: Gerardo de Leon
* Ang Mahiwagang Daigdig ni Pedro Penduko (1973)
Ramon Zamoraas Pedro Penduko, Jeanne Young, Lotis Key, Paquito Diaz, Eddie Garciaand Panchito
** Produced by: ???
** Directed by: Celso Ad Castillo
*Ang Pagbabalik ni Pedro Penduko (1994)
Janno Gibbsas Pedro Penduko, Leo Martinez as Lucifero, Chiquito, Arnel Ignacio, Robert Miller, Vina Morales, Danita Paner and Donita Rose
**Produced by: Viva Films
**Directed by: J. Erastheo 'Baby' Navoa
* Pedro Penduko, Episode II: The Return of the Comeback (2000)
Janno Gibbsas Pedro Penduko, Ramon Zamoraas Maguayan, LJ Moreno, Ace Espinosa, Alyssa Gibbs, Goyong, Dino Guevarra and Lee Robin Salazar
**Produced by: Viva Films
**Directed by: Erik Matti
* Komiks Presents:
Da Adventures of Pedro Penduko(ABS-CBN, 2006)
Matt Evansas Pedro Penduko, Melissa Ricks, Kitkat, Albert Martinez, Gloria Romero, Bembol Roco, Olyn Membian, Agot Isidro, TJ Trinidad, Jake Cuenca
**Directed by: Jerome Pobocan, Trina Dayrit and Dondon Santos
* Komiks Presents:
Si Pedro Penduko at ang mga Engkantao
Matt Evansas Pedro Penduko, Melissa Ricks, Kitkat,
Super Inggo(2006 TV Series) -cameo role played by Matt Evans
* Panday (comics) - made a cameo appearance in "Ang Pagbabalik ni Pedro Penduko (1994)"
Darna- made a cameo appearance in "Ang Pagbabalik ni Pedro Penduko (1994)"
* Lucifero (1994)
* Minokawa (2000)
Mythical Creatures Encountered by Pedro Penduko in the TV Series
* "Bungisngis" (portrayed by Tsokoleit) - Bungisngis is a one-eyed giant. This Philippine folklore giant lives in forest and woods. It is a happy and playful cyclops.
* "Kapre" (portrayed by Bernard Palanca) - The Kapre is a dark and hairy giant creature known for being mischievous. This giant is usually seen atop large trees smoking a giant tobacco. However, Kapre are actually misunderstood. They are nice and kind creatures and they only attack people if they are harmed.
* "Manananggal" (portrayed by Angelika dela Cruz) - The manananggal comes with different names in some parts of the Philippines including Iki for the Batangueños and Lupa-lup for the Waray. The manananggal is commonly described as a half-bodied woman with monster looks, entangled hair and has bat's wings on her back. She seduces men during the day by disguising into a very beautiful lady. She turns into a monster at night, flies to her victim and usually eats the heart. The best way to kill a manananggal is to put salt or ashes on the lower half of her body that she leaves somewhere when she is in a monster form. When this happens, she will no longer be able to return to her human form, and the when the sun shines on her she will turn to dust; much like a
* "Aswang" (portrayed by Boots Anson-Roa & Rayver Cruz) - Aswangs are famous in Capiz, Iloilo, and Antique. People sayFact|date=March 2007 that the Aswangs can transform themselves into a wild boar, dog, or other animals. Aswangs prey on sick human beings by devouring their favorite organ, the liver. A person may become an Aswang when he or she is infected by an Aswang. This usually happens by drinking or eating from an Aswang's glass or plate. To know if an animal is an Aswang in disguise, you simply bend over and look at them with your head upside down.
* "Mambabarang" (portrayed by Glydel Mercado & Bea Alonzo) - Mambabarang are ordinary human beings with black magic who torture and later kill their victims by infesting their bodies with insects. They are different from Mangkukulams -- the latter only inflict pain or illness. Mambabarangs use a strand of hair from their intended victim and tie it to the bugs or worms which they will use as a medium. When they prick the bug, the victim immediately experiences the intended effect.
* "Sigben" - Sigben are invisible creatures. This is probably the reason people say that Sigben looks like a dog with the features of a cat and a goat. They are small and they walk backwards. They victimize little children who are sleeping without someone guarding them. They bite the victim's ankle or foot making them very ill and then die after few hours. After they kill a child, they go back to their caretaker. Anyone who takes care of these creatures are believed to gain much luck and wealth. In this series, the Sigben owner is played by John Estrada.
* "Dalaketnons" (portrayed by Mico Palanca & Jake Cuenca) - They are the bad engkantos. Dalaketnons are known as tall and handsome people. They dress in fashinable manner, live in mansions and try to fit in with mortal people. Some believe that the only way to Dalaket is by entering the Dalaket trees. These creatures abduct people and take them to their world. They set a feast for their victims and force them to eat the Black Rice that put them under their spell making them their members.
* "Nuno sa Punso" - (played by Jason Abalos & Aldred Gatchalian) - Nuno are small but terrible creatures who live on punso (anthills). They are invisible and quiet creatures. If they get bothered by too much noise or careless movements causing them harm, they get mad and punish the people who trespasses against them; especially when their house get destroyed by careless children at play. Their victims get very sick, and the only way to cure it is by the Albularyo. So, everytime you pass by a punso, you need to say "Excuse Me".
* "Tiyanak" - Tiyanak are monsters who disguise themselves as innocent and adorable looking babies. But once someone comes into contact with them, they reveal themselves as demonic, and attack their victim. These monsters are believed to be aborted or stillborn fetuses who were not blessed.
* "Tiktik" - (played by Sid Lucero) - Tiktik are sometimes compared to Aswang because they devour human organs. They jump very high, and can crawl on walls like cats and hang like bats. They prey on pregnant women's fetuses and month old embryos. They attack during the night; where they hop onto the roof of their victim's home. They then stretch out their very long tongues and use it to rip into the womb of their victim and devour her fetus. This act obviously kills the woman too. Tiktik can themselves be killed by cutting off their tongues, thereby leaving them to die of starvation.
* "Pugot" - (played by Dominic Ochoa)- Pugot are headless ghosts. They wander in places where they used to live or where they were decapitated. They haunt because they are searching for their head; which needs to be rejoined with their corpse and then blessed so they can finally rest in peace. However, some of them have the intention to avenge themselves or harm people. They are believed to behead their victims.
* "Tikbalang" - (played by Bobby Andrews) - - Tikbalang is a creature with the features of a man and a horse. Unlike the
Centaurin Greek Mythology, Tikbalang is playful and mischievous. It has a powerful kick and can leap very high. It creates illusions that make its victims perceive themselves lost (such as passing by the same location over and over again, as if stuck in a maze). These illusions can lead its victim into accidents that may result in death. It can also cause victims to become sick or mentally ill. To work around their tomfoolery, the victim should invert his or her clothing and wear it. This will make the Tikbalang laugh and distract it. To prevent the Tikbalang from harming anyone, one must grab its golden hair and wrap it in his or her finger. The Tikbalang will then be a slave of that person.
* "Santelmo" (also known as "
St. Elmo's Fire") - Santelmo is a fireball that flies around the forest. It chases its victims and kills them by setting them ablaze with flames.
Bangungot" (portrayed by Wilson Go) - According to popular belief, a person who sleeps while his or her stomach is full is most likely to experience nightmares or Bangungot. Bangungot is an overweight creature that lives in trees and bamboos. It is said to believe that they inhabit houses that were constructed from material from the Bangungot's personal dwelling. They attack people who are asleep by sitting on their chests until they die of suffocation.
* "Amalanhig" (portrayed by Luz Fernandez) -
Hiligaynonbelieve in certain beings called Amalanhigs. They are Aswangs who failed to transfer their monstrosity; causing them to rise from their graves to kill humans by biting their necks. In order to escape from the Amanlanhigs, a potential victim needs to either run in a zigzag direction (as Amalanhigs can only walk in a straight direction due to the stiffness of their body), climb a tree or high platform to put themselves out of their reach, or run into lakes and rivers since Amanlanhigs are scared of deep bodies of water.
Agta" (portrayed by Gerhard Acao) - Agta is a creature very similar to the Kapre. If the Kapre is naughty, the Agta is romantic. They are hairy giants often found smoking tobacco in the forests. The only distinguishing trait of an Agta from a Kapre is that it showers beautiful village girls in flower petals, abducts them into the forest, and makes them entertain him. To stop the Agta, a person must poke and scald his genitals with a flaming object.
* "Alan" (portrayed by Frank Garcia) - Alan, according to Tinguians and people from Cordillera Mountain Range, is a flesh eating creature whose feet are reversed, toes pointing backwards, to throw off anyone who would follow his footprints. It lures hungry people towards him by placing dry branches on trees and making them look like fruits. Once his potential prey bites the bait, it abducts them and feeds on their flesh. After killing his victims, the Alan keeps their belongings in a jar.
* Wak-Wak (portrayed by Ryan Eigenman) - This monster is called "Wak-Wak" after the sound it makes when it flaps its wings while flying. The louder the sound is, the further away the creature is. The Wak-Wak slashes and mutilates its victims as it feeds on their hearts.
*"Berberoka" (portrayed by Andrea del Rosario) - The people from Apayao believe and fear a swamp creature called Berberoka. It lures victims to its pond by sucking water into itself, thus lowering the overall water level of the pond enough for a number of fish to surface. Attracted to the school of fish, the victims of the Berberoka are suddenly blasted with a spray of water in amount to what the Berberoka drained. They fall into the pond and drown; to be immediately swallowed by the Berberoka.
*"Bal-Bal" (portrayed by Carlo Maceda) - is a monster that steals corpses (whether during a funeral or already in the grave) and feeds on them. It has a strong sense of smell for dead human bodies. And once this monster has located and snatched a corpse, it will leave the trunk of a banana tree in the coffin, while creating an illusion of the stolen body to trick people. Bal-Bal has very sharp claws and teeth which it uses to shred clothing off its meal. And since it eats nothing but corpses, it has a foul breath.
*"Kataw" (portrayed by Jordan Herrera, Iya Villania, Snooky Serna, and Christian Vasquez) - underwater creatures referred to as male
mermaids. Unlike mermaids, they have feet instead of tails, but have gills on their bodies. These marine creatures disguise themselves as fishermen asking for help. But when approached by mortals, the Kataws drown them.
*"Siyokoy" - A marine creature that has the body of a human and a head of a fish. All of the Siyokoys are male.
*"Minokawa" (portrayed by the voice of
Chin Chin Gutierrez) - a giant bird which belongs to the Dragon family. In ancient times, this creature was believed to be so big that it could swallow (or cover) the sun. This was one of many ancient explanations for an solar eclipse.
*"Busaw" - is a creature that looks like and lives like humans. They raise farm animals and plant root crops. However, its favorite food is human. Human skeletons litter the ground of its dwelling.
*"Sirena" - marine creatures whose upper body is human and lower half is a fish tail. A Sirena has a beautiful face and voice it uses to lure fishermen to her so she may drown them. Sirena are essentially the combination of a mermaid and a
*"Ikugan" - this creature is the Philippine counterpart of
King Kong. It is a gigantic primate that has a very long tail which it uses to catch humans.
*"Inlablabbuot" - a huge ugly monster that has a skin tougher than the carabao's, long and rough hair, sharp teeth, and long claws. This creature disguises itself by imitating a person whom the potential victim is very close to. It leads its victims to the woods where it will change back to its monster form and mutilate them.
*"Sarangay" - a creature resembling a bull with a huge muscular body and jewels attached to its ears.
*"Anggitay" (portrayed by Ethel Booba) - a female centaur.
* Matt Evans and Ramon Zamora both appeared as episode guests in an Episode in John and Shirley, in which Matt Evans plays Pedro Penduko and Ramon Zamora as the earlier's grandfather Peter.
* Note that Minokawa who is the main villain in the 2000 movie is different from the creature Minokawa in the TV Series.
List of male superheroes
List of Filipino superheroes
list of Filipino supervillains
* [http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/p/pedro.htm International Super Heroes Web Site]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Pedro Penduko at ang mga Engkantao — infobox Television show name = Komiks Presents: Pedro Penduko at ang mgaEngkantao format = Drama Fantasy Romance Action Horror Comedy runtime = 1 hour 15 min. creator = ABS CBN Entertainment Dept. starring = (see cast) country =… … Wikipedia
Da Adventures of Pedro Penduko — Komiks Presents: Da Adventures of Pedro Penduko Format Drama Fantasy Romance Action Horror Comedy Created by … Wikipedia
List of Filipino supervillains — The following is a list of Filipino (pinoy) supervillains, who have either appeared in Filipino comic books, television shows (fantaserye), or movies.List of Filipino SupervillainsA* Adobe (a.k.a. Ador) , supervillain from (Captain Barbell, 2006… … Wikipedia
Ramon Zamora — Infobox actor name = Ramon Zamora image size = caption = birthname = Ramon Artiaga Zamora birthdate = Birth date|1935|6|27|mf=y birthplace = San Juan, Rizal, Philippines deathdate = death date and age|2007|8|26|1935|6|27|mf=y deathplace =… … Wikipedia
Matt Evans — ‹ The template below (BLP IMDb refimprove) is being considered for deletion. See templates for discussion to help reach a consensus.› For the Canadian international rugby union player see Matt Evans (rugby player) Born Matthew Nicolas Evans… … Wikipedia
List of Komiks episodes — The following is a list of episodes from the Filipino TV series Komiks, which airs on Saturday evenings on the ABS CBN network in the Philippines. The first season of the series presented 12 distinct stories over the course of 13 episodes. One of … Wikipedia
Janno Gibbs — Janno Ronaldo Gibbs (born September 18 1969) is a popular Filipino singer and actor/comedian. Known as the King of Soul of Philippine music, he is a regular host of GMA Network s television shows SOP Rules , Nuts Entertainment , Eat Bulaga and… … Wikipedia
Sponge Cola — Infobox musical artist name = Spongecola Background = group or band Img size = 170 Years active = 2002 – Present Origin = Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines Genre = Pinoy rock Alternative rock Pop rock Label = Sony BMG (2004 2005) Universal… … Wikipedia
Komiks (TV series) — infobox television show name = Komiks caption = Komiks title card format = Fantasy Drama Romance Comedy Horror runtime = 1 hour starring = varies by episode country = flagicon|Philippines Philippines network = ABS CBN first aired = February 4,… … Wikipedia
Melissa Ricks — Born Melissa Marie Ricks January 9, 1990 (1990 01 09) (age 21) Occupation Actress, Host Years active 2004–present Melissa Marie Ricks (born January 9, 1990) is a Filipina actress of Fil … Wikipedia