The BM-30 Smerch (Tornado) or 9K58 is a Soviet
multiple rocket launcher. The system is designed to defeat manpower, armored and soft-skinned materiel in concentration areas, artillery batteries, command posts and ammunition depots. It was created in 1986 and entered service in the Soviet Armyin 1989. [ru icon [http://www.vk.mesi.ru/arms2108.html MLRS Smerch] ]
* rockets (in containers);
* 9A52-2 modernized launch vehicle;
* automated fire control equipment;
* set of arsenal equipment;
* training facilities.The 300mm rockets with a firing range of 70 and 90 km and variouswarheads have been developed for the Smerch MLRS.
The 9A52-2 vehicle with the automated system ensures:
* delivery of fire from an unsurveyed fire position;
* laying of the launch tube cluster with the crew staying in the cabin and without using aiming points;
* autonomous determination of an azimuth of the launch tube cluster’s longitudinal axis;
* visual representation of graphical information for the launch tube cluster laying, the route of vehicle movement and location as well as a point of destination and direction of movement on the video terminal;
* increase in MLRS survivability owing to reduced time of staying at a fire position;
* increased comfort for the laying operator, especially in adverse weather conditions and at night;
* increased independent operation owing to the navigation and survey equipment, which allows the vehicle to rapidly change fire positions and move autonomously;
* reduction of the combat crew.
* Combat Weight: 43.7 t
* Length: 12 m
* Height: 3.05 m
* Width: 3.05 m
* Crew: 3 men
* Emplacement Time: 3 min
* Displacement Time: 2 min
* Launcher: 9A52-2, 300-mm, 12 tubes
* Launch Rate: Salvo Time: 12 rounds in 38 seconds
* Reload Time: 20 min
*flag|Algeria: 18 systems in 1999.
*flag|Azerbaijan: 11 systems in 2008.
*flag|India: 38 systems to be delivered by 2008 and additional 24 systems by 2010.Total cost $750 million.
*flag|Kuwait: 27 systems in 1996.
*RUS: 300 in 2001(100 in 1995) [ [http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/army-equipment.htm Russian Army Equipment ] ]
*TKM : 6 on order
*BLR: 48 system in 1990 [ [http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/belarus/army-equipment.htm Belarus Army Equipment ] ]
*UKR: unknown number [ [http://www.mil.gov.ua/index.php?lang=en&part=armament&sub=sv_rszv http://www.mil.gov.ua] ]
*USSR: Passed on to successor states.
* "Russia's Arms Catalog 2004"
Katyusha, BM-13, BM-8, and BM-31 multiple rocket launchers of World War II
BM-14140mm multiple rocket launcher
* BM-21 Grad 122mm multiple rocket launcher
* BM-27 Uragan 220mm multiple rocket launcher
* M270, U.S. multiple rocket launcher
Pinaka Multi Barrel Rocket Launcher,214mm Indian multiple rocket launcher
* TOS-1 Buratino Heavy Flame Thrower System, (actually thermobaric)
* [http://www.thetankmaster.com/ENGLISH/AFV/9a52_1.asp Smerch - 9A52 - 300mm multi-barreled rocket launcher – Walk around photos]
* [http://www.splav.org/en/arms/smerch/index.asp Splav State Research and Production Enterprise]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.