Infobox German Location
Art = Stadt
image_photo = Heidelberg 20030918.jpg
Heidelberg Castleon hill behind Old Bridge
Wappen = Wappen Heidelberg.png
lat_deg = 49 |lat_min = 24 |lat_sec = 44
lon_deg = 08 |lon_min = 42 |lon_sec = 36
Bundesland = Baden-Württemberg
Regierungsbezirk = Karlsruhe
Landkreis = Stadtkreis
Höhe = 114
Fläche = 108.83
Einwohner = 144634
Stand = 2006-12-31
PLZ = 69115–69126
PLZ-alt = 6900
Vorwahl = +49 6221
Kfz = HD
Gemeindeschlüssel = 08 2 21 000
Adresse = Marktplatz 10
Website = [http://www.heidelberg.de/ heidelberg.de]
Bürgermeister = Eckart Würzner
Partei = Parteilos
Heidelberg is a city in
Baden-Württemberg, Germany. As of 2006, over 140,000 people live within the city's convert|109|km² area. The town of Heidelberg is an administrative district of its own. Although not being part of it, the Rhein-Neckar-Kreis, the rural district, which surrounds the town, has its seat in Heidelberg.
Heidelberg lies on the river
Neckarat the point where it leaves its narrow, steep valley in the Odenwaldto flow into the Rhine valley where, convert|20|km Northwest of Heidelberg, it joins the river Rhineat Mannheim. Heidelberg is part of a densely populated region known as the Rhein-Neckar-Triangle.
Approximately 1,000,000 years ago, the "Heidelberg Man", whose jaw-bone was discovered in 1907, the earliest evidence of human life in
Europe, died at nearby Mauer.
In the 5th century BC there was a Celtic fortress of refuge and place of worship on the "Heiligenberg", or "Mountain of Saints". Both places can still be identified.
In 40 a fort was built and occupied by the 24th Roman cohort and the 2nd
Cyrenaicancohort (CCG XXIIII and CCH II CYR). The Romans built and maintained "castra" (permanent camps) and a signalling tower on the bank of the Neckar, and built a wooden bridge across the Neckar. The first civilian settlements would develop under the protection of the camp. The Romans remained until 260, when the camp was conquered by German tribes.
Modern Heidelberg can trace its beginnings to the 5th century when the village "Bergheim" ("Mountain Home") is first mentioned in documents dated to 769. "Bergheim" now lies in the middle of modern Heidelberg.
In 863 the monastery of St. Michael was founded on the "Heiligenberg" inside the double rampart of the Celtic fortress, and around 1130 the Neuberg Monastery was founded in the
Neckarvalley. At the same time the bishopric of Worms extended its influence into the valley, founding Schönau Abbeyin 1142. Modern Heidelberg can trace its roots to this monastery.
In 1155, Heidelberg castle and its neighbouring settlement are taken over by the house of
Hohenstaufen, and Conrad of Hohenstaufenbecomes " Count Palatine of the Rhine" ( _de. Pfalzgraf bei Rhein).
In 1195, the Palatinate passed to the
House of Welfthrough marriage.
The first reference to Heidelberg can be found in a document in
Schönau Abbeydated to 1196. This is considered the founding date for Heidelberg.
Louis I, Duke of Bavariaobtained the Palatinate, and thus also the castle, which is mentioned in a document.
In 1303, two castles are mentioned; the one located further up the mountain was destroyed in a gunpowder explosion in 1537. The palace of today was then built at the site of the lower castle. In 1356, the Counts Palatine were granted far-reaching rights in the Golden Bull in addition to becoming Electors.
In 1386, the
University of Heidelbergwas founded by Rupert I, Elector Palatine. The University played a leading part in the era of humanism and reformation and the conflict between Lutheranism and Calvinism in the 15th and 16th centuries. Heidelberg's library, founded in 1421, is the oldest public library in Germany still intact. A few months after the proclamation of the 95 theses, in April 1518, Martin Lutherwas received in Heidelberg, to defend them.
In 1620, the royal crown of Bohemia was offered to the Elector, Frederick V (married to Elizabeth, eldest daughter of James VI of Scotland). He became known as the "winter king", as he only reigned for one winter until the Imperial
house of Habsburgregained the crown by force. This marked the beginning of the Thirty Years' War.
In 1622, after a siege of two months, the armies of the Catholic League, commanded by
Johann Tserclaes, Count of Tilly, captured Heidelberg. He gave the famous " Bibliotheca Palatina" from the Church of the Holy Ghost to the Pope as a present. The Catholic, Bavarian branch of the house of Wittelsbach gained control over the Palatinate and the title of Prince-Elector. In 1648, at the end of the war, Frederick V's son Charles I Louis, Elector Palatine, was able to recover his titles and lands.
In order to strengthen his dynastic power, he married his daughter Liselotte to
Philip I, Duke of Orléans, the brother of Louis XIV, king of France. In 1685, after the death of Charles Louis' son Elector Charles II, Louis XIV laid claim to his sister in law's inheritance. The claim was rejected, and war ensued. In 1689, city and castle were both taken by French troops, who brought about an almost total destruction in 1693.
In 1720, religious conflicts with the citizens of Heidelberg caused the Prince-Elector Charles III Philip to transfer his residence to nearby
Mannheim, where it remained until the Elector Charles Theodore became Elector of Bavaria in 1777 and established his court in Munich.
In 1742, Elector Karl Theodor began rebuilding the Palace. In 1764, a lightning bolt destroyed other palace buildings during reconstruction, causing the work to be discontinued. Heidelberg fell to the
Grand Duchy of Badenin the year 1803. Charles Frederick, Grand Duke of Badenre-founded the University, named "Ruperto-Carola" after its two founders. Notable scholars soon earned it a reputation as a "royal residence of the intellect".
In 1810, the
French revolution-emigrant Count Charles Graimberg began with the preservation of the palace ruinsand the establishment of a historical collection.
In the 18th century, the city was rebuilt in Baroque style on the old Gothic layout.
In 1815, the Emperor of Austria, the Emperor of Russia and the King of Prussia formed the "Holy Alliance" in Heidelberg.
In 1848, it was decided to have a German National Assembly in Heidelberg. In 1849, during the Palatinate-Baden rebellion, Heidelberg was the headquarters of a revolutionary army which was defeated by a Prussian army near Waghaeusel. Until 1850, the city was occupied by Prussian troops.
Between 1920 and 1933, the University of Heidelberg's reputation was enhanced by a number of notable physicians (Czerny, Erb, Krehl) and humanists (Rohde, Weber, Gundolf).
During the Nazi regime (1933-1945), Heidelberg was a stronghold of the
NSDAP, which was the strongest party in the elections before 1933. Non-Aryan university staff were discriminated against, and by 1939 the University had "lost" one third of its staff due to racial and political reasons. During the Kristallnachton November 9, 1938, Nazis burned down synagogues at two locations in the city. The next day systematic deportation of Jews started, and 150 Jews were sent to the Dachau concentration camp. On October 22, 1940 during the "Wagner Buerckel event", 6000 local Jews, including 280 from Heidelberg, were deported to a concentration camp in France, Camp Gurs. Between 1934 to 1935, the Nazi regime built a huge amphitheatre on the "Heiligenberg" north of the old part of Heidelberg for the SS events. The theatre is called "Thingstätte" and is still used for occasional concerts and events.
On March 30, 1945, US forces liberated Heidelberg from the Nazi regime. German troops left the day before, after destroying the old bridge, Heidelberg's treasured river crossing and at that time the only crossing of the river Neckar for larger vehicles.
It has been theorized that Heidelberg escaped bombing in the Second World War because the US Army wanted to use the city as a garrison after the war. In fact, as Heidelberg was neither an industrial center nor a transport hub, there was nothing worth bombing in Heidelberg and Allied air raids focused on the nearby industrial cities of Mannheim and Ludwigshafen. In 1945, the University re-opened at the initiative of surgeon Karl Heinrich Bauer and philosopher Karl Jaspers.
The old town
The "old town" ( _de. Altstadt), located at the southern side of the
Neckar, is long and narrow and is dominated by the ruins of the Heidelberg Castlewhich perches 80 metres above the Neckar on the steep, wooded side of the Königstuhl ( _en. King's chair or throne) hill.The Karls´gate (Karlstor) is a triumphal arch in honour of the Prince Elector Karl Theodor, located at Heidelberg's very east. It was erected from 1775 until 1781 and designed by Nicolas de PigageThe house "Zum Ritter Sankt Georg" (Knight St. George) is one of the few buildings to survive the war of succession. Standing across from the Church of the Holy Spirit, it was built in the style of the late Renaissance. It is named after the sculpture at the top.
The "Marstall" was an arsenal of the Heidelberg Castle in which several different goods were stored. The 19th century building we see today was created in a neo-classical style. Since 1971, the "Marstall" has housed lecture halls of the university.
The old bridge is a stone bridge which was erected from 1786 to 1788. There is a medieval bridge gate on the side of the old town, originally part of its town wall. Baroque tower helmets were added as part of the erection of the stone bridge in 1788.
The castle is a mix of styles from Gothic to Renaissance.Prince Elector Ruprecht III (1398 - 1410) erected the first representative building in the inner courtyard as a regal residence. The building was divided into a ground floor made of stone and framework upper levels. Another regal building is located opposite to the Ruprecht Building: The Fountain Hall. Prince Elector Philipp (1476 - 1508) is said to have arranged the transfer of the hall's columns from a decayed palace of
In the 16th and 17th century the Prince Electors added two representative palace buildings and turned the fortress into a castle. The two dominant buildings at the eastern and northern side of the courtyard were erected during the rule of Ottheinrich (1556 - 1559) and Friedrich IV (1583 - 1610). Under Friedrich V (1613 - 1619), the main building of the westside was erected, the so called "English Building".
The castle and its garden were destroyed several times (during the 30 Years' War and the Palatine war of succession). When Prince Elector Karl Theodor who resided in Schwetzingen tried to restore the castle, lightning struck the Castle in 1764 and finished all attempts to rebuild the castle. Later on, the castle was misused as a quarry - castle stones helped to build new houses in Heidelberg. This was stopped in 1800 by Count Charles de Graimberg who made any effort he could to preserve the Heidelberg Castle. In spite of its Gothic interior, it was not before 1934, that the King's Hall was added.
Today, the hall is used for festivities, e.g. dinner banquets, balls and theatre performances. During the Heidelberg Castle Festival in the summer, the courtyard is the site of open air musicals, operas, theatre performances and classical concerts performed by the Heidelberg City Orchestra.
The castle is surrounded by a park where the famous poet Johann von Goethe once walked. The
Heidelberger Bergbahnfunicular railway runs from Heidelberg's Kornmakt to the summit of the Königstuhl via the castle.
thumb|right|800px|View_from_the_so_called_ _de. Philosophenweg) towards the Old Town, with
Heidelberg Castle, Heiliggeist Church and the Old Bridge ] On the northern side of the Neckar, the Heiligenberg with the remains of the celtic fortress and the Philosophers' Walk ( _de. Philosophenweg) is located. This Walk derives its name from the fact that Heidelberg's philosophers and university teachers are said to have once walked and talked here. It shows excellent views of the old town and castle.
University of Heidelberg
Heidelberg is home to one of
Europe's oldest educational institutes, the "Ruprecht Karls University" founded in 1386, more commonly known as the University of Heidelberg. Among the prominent thinkers associated with the university over the centuries are Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, Hans-Georg Gadamer, Jürgen Habermas, Karl-Otto Apeland Hannah Arendt. Karl Drais, who invented the bicyclein 1817, was a student there. At the University of Heidelberg, chemists Posselt and Reimann discovered that nicotinewas the main pharmacologicallyactive component of tobacco. In 1860, Robert Bunsen and Kirchhoff discovered spectrum analysishere. Despite this long legacy of academic excellence, the University of Heidelberg was the first to expel all its Jewish professors and students when the Nazisrose to power. [ [http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/979508.html Son gets Dad's Auschwitz tattoo on own arm - Haaretz - Israel News ] ]
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, European Molecular Biology Organization, the German Cancer Research Center, Max Planck Institute for Medical Research, Max Planck Institute for Astronomy, Max Planck Institute for Nuclear Physicsand Max PlanckInstitute for Comparative Public Lawand International Law) are located in Heidelberg.
Robert Wilhelm Bunsen, Otto Meyerhof, Wolfgang Ketterle, Georg Wittigand Carl Bosch(all winners of the Nobel prize).
Romanticism of Heidelberg
Heidelberg was the center of the epoch of "Romantik" (
Romanticism) in Germany. There was a famous circle of poets such as Joseph von Eichendorff, Joseph von Görres, Arnim, and Clemens Brentano. A famous relic of Romanticism is the Philosophers' Walk ( _de. Philosophenweg), a scenic walking path on the nearby Heiligenberg, overlooking Heidelberg.
The "Romantik" epoch of German philosophy and literature, was described as a movement against classical and realistic theories of literature, an antipole to the rationality of the
Age of Enlightenment. It elevated medievalism and elements of art and narrative perceived to be from the medieval period as well as folk art, nature and an epistemology based on nature, which included human activity conditioned by nature in the form of language, custom and usage.
Heidelberg consists of fourteen districts which are distributed in six sectors of the city. In the central area of the city are Altstadt, Bergheim, and Weststadt. In north Heidelberg are Neuenheim and Handschuhsheim. In the east are Ziegelhausen and Schlierbach. In the south are Südstadt, Rohrbach, Emmertsgrund, and Boxberg and in the southwest is Kirchheim. In the west are Bahnstadt, Pfaffengrund, and Wieblingen.
A new city district, tentatively named "Bahnstadt", is planned on land located within Weststadt and Wieblingen. The new district will have approximately 5,000-6,000 residents and employment for 7,000.
In 2004, 81.8% of all people worked for service industries, including tourism. As a relic of the period of Romanticism, Heidelberg has been labeled a romantic town. This is used to attract more than 3.5 million visitors every year. Many events are organized to increase the attraction. In spring, the "Heidelberger Frühling" Classic Music Festival and the international easter egg market are conducted.In July and August there is a "Heidelberger Castle Festival" (Student Prince and others)On the first Saturday in June and September, and the 2nd Saturday in July – the castle and the old bridge are illuminated with lights and fireworks.The old town autumn festival in September includes a Medieval Market with 40 booths, an arts and crafts market, a flea market and music from Samba to Rock.During advent there is a Christmas market throughout the oldest part of the city.
Only 18% of employment is provided by industry. Printing and publishing are important enterprises. Heidelberg with its long Hauptstrasse is a shopping magnet for the surrounding smaller towns.Noted pen manufacturer
Lamyhas its headquarters and its factory in Heidelberg.
United States military installations
World War II, Heidelberg was one of a few major cities in Germany not significantly damaged by Allied bombing. Situated in the American zone of Germany, Heidelberg became the headquarters of the American forces in Europe. Several military installations remain, especially Campbell Barracks(former Wehrmacht Großdeutschland-Kaserne) which is where headquarters for several units are located. including United States Army, Europe (HQ USAREUR) and NATO's Allied Land Forces, Central Europe (LANDCENT). Campbell Barracks, Mark Twain Villageare both in Südstadt; Patton Barracks are in nearby Kirchheim; and USAREUR MEDDAC Headquarters (also known as "Nachrichten Kaserne") is in Rohrbach. There is also a gated housing community, Patrick Henry Village, located west of Kirchheim. These make up the U.S. Army Garrison Heidelberg. Additionally, a small number of NATOfacilities are present on the installations, most notably HQ Allied Land Component Command, Heidelberg (CC-Land Heidelberg). An old U.S. Army Air Field is still present; However, only UH-60 Black Hawks and AH-64 Apache Helicopters continue to use it.
*February: "Ball der Vampire" (Ball of the Vampires) Celebrates Fasching (the German equivalent of Mardis Gras or Carnival) with a giant vampire-themed costume party at the local castle or city hall
*March/April: "Heidelberger Frühling" Classic Music Festival
*April: Half marathon - last weekend
*May: Frühlingsmesse on the Messplatz
*June, July and September: Heidelberger Schlossbeleuchtung fireworks display on philosophy's way, the old bridge crossing the river Neckar below the castle and the castle itself. The 1st Saturday of June and September and the second Saturday of July are the annual dates.
*September, each last Saturday: "Old Town Autumn Festival".
*October/November: Heidelberger Theater Days, "Enjoy Jazz", Stepdance -Festival and Workshops
*November: "International Filmfestival Mannheim-Heidelberg"
sister cityrelationships (Städtepartnerschaft) with the following cities:
* , since 1957
* , since 1961
* , since 1983
* , since 1991
* , since 1991
* , since 1992
Schiller International University
Heidelberg Center for American Studies
List of University of Heidelberg people
* [http://www.heidelberg.de/ Official site of Heidelberg] , a small English section is available
* [http://www.heidelberg.army.mil U.S. Army Garrison Heidelberg homepage]
* [http://www.heid-hs.eu.dodea.edu/ Heidelberg American High School] , The official site of Heidelberg American High School
* Steven P. Remy: "The Heidelberg Myth: The Nazification and
Denazificationof a German University". Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2002. 329 P. ISBN 0-674-00933-9. (History about Spruchkammerverfahren-whitewashing in the proceedings before Dena. ..)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Heidelberg — Heidelberg … Wikipédia en Français
HEIDELBERG — HEIDELBERG, city in Baden, Germany. Heidelberg is mentioned in the will of Judah b. Samuel he Ḥasid (d. 1217), but the reference may be a later addition. The first reliable evidence for the presence of Jews in the town dates from 1275. In the… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
HEIDELBERG — Située dans le Land de Bade Wurtemberg, sur le Neckar, non loin de sa confluence avec le Rhin, la ville de Heidelberg (138 000 hab. en 1990) ne prend son importance qu’en 1228, lorsque l’Électeur palatin en fait sa capitale; elle est dominée par… … Encyclopédie Universelle
Heidelberg — Heidelberg, PA U.S. borough in Pennsylvania Population (2000): 1225 Housing Units (2000): 606 Land area (2000): 0.263195 sq. miles (0.681671 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 0.263195 sq. miles… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Heidelberg  — Heidelberg, 1) Stadt im gleichnamigen bad. Kreis und Amtsbezirk, 116 m ü. M., in reizender Gegend des Neckartals, da, wo der Fluß aus dem Gebirge in die Ebene tritt, am Fuß des 566 m hohen Königsstuhls, erstreckt sich am linken Neckarufer… … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Heidelberg, MN — U.S. city in Minnesota Population (2000): 72 Housing Units (2000): 27 Land area (2000): 0.518048 sq. miles (1.341738 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 0.518048 sq. miles (1.341738 sq. km) FIPS code … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Heidelberg, MS — U.S. town in Mississippi Population (2000): 840 Housing Units (2000): 359 Land area (2000): 5.114016 sq. miles (13.245241 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.022950 sq. miles (0.059440 sq. km) Total area (2000): 5.136966 sq. miles (13.304681 sq. km)… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Heidelberg, PA — U.S. borough in Pennsylvania Population (2000): 1225 Housing Units (2000): 606 Land area (2000): 0.263195 sq. miles (0.681671 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 0.263195 sq. miles (0.681671 sq. km)… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Heidelberg, TX — U.S. Census Designated Place in Texas Population (2000): 1586 Housing Units (2000): 423 Land area (2000): 2.841338 sq. miles (7.359031 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 2.841338 sq. miles (7.359031 … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Heidelberg — Heidelberg, 1) Oberamt im badenschen Unterrheinkreise; 37,000 Ew.; 2) Stadt hier, am Neckar, mit 702 Fuß langer, mit der Bildsäule des Kurfürsten Karl Theodor von der Pfalz verzierter Brücke über denselben; in einer reizenden Gegend; Sitz des… … Pierer's Universal-Lexikon
Heidelberg — Heidelberg, Spitze des Habelschwerdter Gebirges; 3012 (2928) Fuß hoch … Pierer's Universal-Lexikon