- North Atlantic Little Shearwater
name = North Atlantic Little Shearwater
phylum = Chordata
classis = Aves
genus = "
species = "P. (lherminieri) baroli"
binomial = "Puffinus (lherminieri) baroli"
binomial_authority = Bonaparte,
The North Atlantic Little Shearwater ("Puffinus baroli"), also known as the Macaronesian Shearwater, is a small
shearwaterwhich breeds in the North Atlantic. Two subspeciesare recognised, "P. b. baroli" of Madeiraand the Canary Islandsand "P. b. boydi" of the Cape Verde Islands.
Until recently, it was considered conspecific with the
Little Shearwater("Puffinus assimilis") of the Southern Hemisphere. mtDNAcytochrome "b" sequence analysis (Austin "et al.", 2004) indicates, however, that "baroli" and "boydi" are very close to the nominate subspeciesof Audubon's Shearwater. Whether the morphological distinctness and the non-overlapping ranges, or the genetic similarity [Note that mtDNA is of somewhat dubious value for species-level taxonomic revisions in Procellariiformes, due to these birds' long lifespan and some genetic peculiarities. "See also" Rheindt & Austin (2005).] are considered to be more significant is presently a matter of opinion, and the taxonomical status of these birds remains equivocal. Although some institutions (such as BirdLife International) currently retain the forms "baroli" and "boydi" within Little Shearwater, this is as a result of inaccurate lumping in the past, and is not supported by modern evidence. The BOUhas recently accepted "P. baroli" as a distinct species (Sangster et al 2005).
The binomial name commemorates the Italian
Features which distinguish the North Atlantic Little Shearwater from the
Manx Shearwaterand other North Atlantic " Puffinus" species include the pale face, silvery panel in the upperwings, shorter more rounded wings, and blue feet (McGeehan & Mullarney 1995, Martin & Rowlands 2001).
* Austin, Jeremy J.; Bretagnolle, Vincent & Pasquet, Eric (2004): A global molecular phylogeny of the small "Puffinus" shearwaters and implications for systematics of the Little-Audubon's Shearwater complex. "Auk" 121(3): 847–864. DOI: 10.1642/0004-8038(2004)121 [0847:AGMPOT] 2.0.CO;2 [http://www.bioone.org/perlserv/?request=get-abstract&doi=10.1642%2F0004-8038%282004%29121%5B0847%3AAGMPOT%5D2.0.CO%3B2 HTML abstract]
* Collinson, M. (2006): Splitting headaches? Recent taxonomic changes affecting the British and Western Palaearctic lists. "British Birds" 99(6): 306-323.
* Rheindt, F. E. & Austin, Jeremy J. (2005): Major analytical and conceptual shortcomings in a recent taxonomic revision of the Procellariiformes - A reply to Penhallurick and Wink (2004). "Emu" 105(2): 181-186 [http://www.publish.csiro.au/?act=view_file&file_id=MU04039.pdf PDF fulltext]
* GEORGE SANGSTER, J. MARTIN COLLINSON, ANDREAS J. HELBIG, ALAN G. KNOX, DAVID T. PARKIN (2005) Taxonomic recommendations for British birds: third report "Ibis" 147 (4), 821–826. DOI: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2005.00483.x
* [http://blx1.bto.org/birdfacts/results/bob480.htm BTO BirdFacts - Macaronesian Shearwater]
* [http://www.madeirabirds.com/little_shearwater Madeira Birds: Macaronesian Shearwater]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Little Shearwater — Taxobox name = Little Shearwater status = LC status system = IUCN3.1 regnum = Animalia phylum = Chordata classis = Aves ordo = Procellariiformes familia = Procellariidae genus = Puffinus species = P. assimilis binomial = Puffinus assimilis… … Wikipedia
Shearwater — Taxobox name = Shearwaters image width = 200px image caption = Audubon s Shearwater chick regnum = Animalia phylum = Chordata classis = Aves ordo = Procellariiformes familia = Procellariidae subdivision ranks = Genera subdivision = Calonectris… … Wikipedia
Audubon's Shearwater — Conservation status Least Concern (IUCN 3.1) Scientific classification K … Wikipedia
Barolo Shearwater — Scientific classification Kingdom: Animalia Phylum: Chordata Class: Aves … Wikipedia
Sooty Shearwater — Conservation status Near Threatened (I … Wikipedia
Great Shearwater — Taxobox name = Great Shearwater status = LC | status system = IUCN3.1 image width = 250px regnum = Animalia phylum = Chordata classis = Aves ordo = Procellariiformes familia = Procellariidae genus = Puffinus species = P. gravis binomial =… … Wikipedia
List of North Carolina birds — This list of North Carolina birds is a comprehensive listing of all the bird species recorded from the U.S. state of North Carolina. This list is based on a checklist used by the North Carolina Bird Records Committee, the list used by most… … Wikipedia
List of birds of North Carolina — The Northern Cardinal is the state bird of North Carolina. In the state of North Carolina, 469 species of birds have been recorded. This number includes the bird species that have been sighted in North Carolina and are believed to be of wild o … Wikipedia
Flesh-footed Shearwater — Taxobox name = Flesh footed Shearwater status = LC | status system = IUCN3.1 status ref = [IUCN2006|assessors=BirdLife International|year=2004|id=49701|title=Puffinus carneipes|downloaded=10 May 2006 Database entry includes a lengthy… … Wikipedia
Buller's Shearwater — In Hauraki Gulf (New Zealand), during the breeding season Conservation status … Wikipedia