David Arnold Birth name David Arnold Born 23 January 1962
Luton, Beds, UK
Genres Film score Occupations Composer Instruments Clarinet, guitar, piano Years active 1993–present
David Arnold (born 23 January 1962) is an English film composer best known for scoring five James Bond films, the 1994 film Stargate, the 1996 film Independence Day, and the television series Little Britain.
Film and television career
While attending a Sixth Form College in Luton, Arnold became friends with director Danny Cannon. Danny initially created short films for which David was asked to write the music. The two made their respective major film debuts with The Young Americans. "Play Dead", a song from the film with singer Björk, charted #12 in the UK. The following year he scored Stargate and Last of the Dogmen, with excerpts from the former ranking third in the most commonly used soundtrack cues for film trailers.
Arnold would then go on to compose music for Stargate director Roland Emmerich's next two movies, Independence Day and Godzilla, as well as four movies for director John Singleton. In addition, he has also scored various comedies, dramas, and nineteenth-century period pieces, as well as providing music for several British television shows including the 2000 remake of Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) and Little Britain. During film production, his compositions are conducted by Nicholas Dodd. In 2010, he composed the music for Come Fly With Me, a British television series from the producers of Little Britain.
Arnold was a Bond fan from an early age and also a fan of Bond composer John Barry. In 1997, Arnold produced Shaken and Stirred: The David Arnold James Bond Project, an album featuring new versions of the themes from various James Bond films. The album featured a variety of contemporary artists including Jarvis Cocker, Chrissie Hynde, Propellerheads and Iggy Pop; a version of You Only Live Twice by Björk was recorded but not included on the album. John Barry, the composer of many of the themes on the album, was complimentary about Arnold's interpretation of his work; "He was very faithful to the melodic and harmonic content, but he's added a whole other rhythmic freshness and some interesting casting in terms of the artists chosen to do the songs. I think it's a terrific album. I'm very flattered." Barry contacted Barbara Broccoli, producer of the then-upcoming Tomorrow Never Dies, to recommend Arnold as the film's composer.
Arnold was hired to score the installment, and he has since scored the four subsequent films; The World Is Not Enough, Die Another Day, Casino Royale and Quantum of Solace. Arnold also co-wrote the main theme songs for The World Is Not Enough ("The World Is Not Enough" by Garbage) and Casino Royale ("You Know My Name" by Chris Cornell) as well as "Surrender" by k.d. lang which appears during the end credits of Tomorrow Never Dies. Arnold also contributed the main themes to Kevin Kiner's score for Activision's GoldenEye 007, the remake of the 1997 game of the same name.
He has collaborated with such musical acts as Cast, The Cardigans, Kaiser Chiefs, Massive Attack, and Pulp, and solo artists Natasha Bedingfield, Melanie C, Björk, Chris Cornell, Shirley Manson, Mark Morriss and in 2009 produced Shirley Bassey's album 'The Performance.'
In 2001, he provided a new arrangement of Ron Grainer's Doctor Who theme music for the Eighth Doctor audio dramas from Big Finish Productions. His version was used as the Eighth Doctor theme starting with 2001's Storm Warning until 2008, when it was replaced with a new version arranged by Nicholas Briggs starting with Dead London.
Arnold is the second cousin of Irish singer-songwriter Damien Rice, and is an ambassador for aid agency CARE International in the UK. He has made minor appearances in two different episodes of Little Britain as separate characters.
Arnold took part in a tribute to John Barry on 20 June 2011 at the Royal Albert Hall in London, singing a song that was composed by Barry and playing the guitar part of the James Bond theme. See a link to video of Arnold's performance of The James Bond Theme below.
- The Young Americans (1993)
- Stargate (1994)
- Last of the Dogmen (1995)
- Independence Day (1996)
- A Life Less Ordinary (1997)
- Tomorrow Never Dies (1997)
- Godzilla (1998)
- The World Is Not Enough (1999)
- Shaft (2000)
- Baby Boy (2001)
- The Musketeer (2001)
- Zoolander (2001)
- Changing Lanes (2002)
- Enough (2002)
- Die Another Day (2002)
- 2 Fast 2 Furious (2003)
- The Stepford Wives (2004)
- Little Britain (14 Episodes) (2003–2005)
- Four Brothers (2005)
- Stoned (2005)
- Amazing Grace (2006)
- Casino Royale (2006)
- Hot Fuzz (2007)
- Grindhouse (fake trailer segment "Don't") (2007)
- Agent Crush (2008)
- Quantum of Solace (2008)
- Crooked House (with Michael Price) (2008)
- The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (2010)
- Morning Glory (2010)
- Made in Dagenham (2010)
- Sherlock (with Michael Price) (2010)
- Come Fly with Me (2010–present) 
- Paul (2011)
- Skyfall (2012) 
- Won: Grammy Award – Best Instrumental Composition Written for a Motion Picture or for Television – Independence Day
- Nominated: BAFTA Award – Anthony Asquith Award for Film Music – Casino Royale
- Nominated: Grammy Award – Best Song Written for Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media – You Know My Name from Casino Royale (songwriter)
- ^ "David Arnold". soundtrack.net. Archived from the original on 2008-01-04. http://web.archive.org/web/20080104145454/http://moviemusicuk.us/darnold.htm. Retrieved 2008-02-26.
- ^ "Top 100 Frequently Used Cues". soundtrack.net. http://www.soundtrack.net/trailers/frequent. Retrieved 2007-08-14.
- ^ Burlingame, Jon (1997-12-18). "Bonding with the Score: David Arnold blends the traditional with the modern in music for 'Tomorrow Never Dies.'". Los Angeles Times (Times Mirror Company).
- ^ Macnee, Patrick (Narrator). The Bond Sound: The Music of 007 (DVD (Documentary)).
- ^ "David Arnold Back For 'Bond 22'". commanderbond.net. http://commanderbond.net/article/4582. Retrieved 2007-10-08.
- ^ "James Bond composer David Arnold will be 2012 musical director". The Telegraph (London). February 18, 2011. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/cultural-olympiad/8332882/James-Bond-composer-David-Arnold-will-be-2012-musical-director.html/. Retrieved February 22, 2011. [dead link]
- ^ "Composer John Barry remembered at memorial concert". BBC. 2011-06-21. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13777242. Retrieved 21 June 2011.
- ^ 
- ^ David Arnold still optimistic about Bond 23
- David Arnold at the Internet Movie Database
- David Arnold's official web-site
- David Arnold Twitter feed
- David Arnold Interview at www.reviewgraveyard.com
- BAFTA Video Masterclass with David Arnold
- John Barry Memorial Concert – The James Bond Theme on YouTube
James Bond film score composer
James Bond movies crew Official films
(EON Productions)DirectorsProducersComposersScreenwritersTitle sequence
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
David Arnold — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda David Arnold, nacido el 23 de enero de 1962 en Bedfordshire, Inglaterra, es un compositor británico, conocido por sus partituras para Stargate, Independence Day, y 5 películas de la serie de James Bond. Contenido 1… … Wikipedia Español
David Arnold — (* 23. Januar 1962 in Luton) ist ein englischer Filmmusik Komponist. Arnold ist verheiratet und lebt in London, England. Seine ersten größeren Filmmusiken komponierte Arnold für Stargate und Independence Day, womit ihm durch Verwendung eines… … Deutsch Wikipedia
David Arnold — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Arnold. David Arnold Données clés Naissance 27 février 1962 Luton (Royaume Uni) Nationalité … Wikipédia en Français
David Arnold (historian) — David Arnold (born 1946) is a historian and has held the position of Professor of Asian and Global History at Warwick University since 2006. Previously he held the position of professor of South Asian History at the University of London s… … Wikipedia
David Arnold (disambiguation) — David Arnold may refer to: David Arnold (born 1962), a film composer best known for scoring five James Bond films, and films such as Stargate and Independence Day. David Arnold (American football) (born 1966), football defensive back David Arnold … Wikipedia
David Arnold (American football) — David Arnold Position(s) DB Jersey #(s) 25 Born November 21, 1966 (1966 11 21) (age 44) Warren, Ohio Career information … Wikipedia
David Arnold (conductor) — This article is about the British composer and conductor. For the British film composer, see David Arnold. David Arnold is a British composer, conductor and music producer. Born in 1951, he began to play percussion at the age of 12 and went on to … Wikipedia
J. David Arnold — Since 2005 J. David Arnold has served as the president of Eureka College. Founded in 1855, the Eureka College campus is located in Eureka, Illinois and well known as the alma mater of President Ronald W. Reagan. Overview According to the College… … Wikipedia
Shaken and Stirred: The David Arnold James Bond Project — es un álbum compilatorio que incluye canciones clásicas de las películas de las películas de James Bond interpretadas por cantantes contemporáneos entre ellas figuras destacadas de la música Rock y Electrónica y con la utilización de arreglos… … Wikipedia Español
Lance David Arnold — (* 8. Juni 1986 in Duisburg) ist ein deutscher Automobilrennfahrer. Er begann seine Motorsportkarriere 2000 mit dem Kartsport. 2002 fuhr er in der Formel BMW. Nachdem er 2003 Slalomrennen bestritt, wechselte er 2004 in der ADAC Volkswagen Polo… … Deutsch Wikipedia