Aerial view of Melton urban area
Population: 35,490(2006)  Established: 1862 Postcode: 3337-3338 Area: 25.2 km² (9.7 sq mi) Location: 35 km (22 mi) from Melbourne LGA: Shire of Melton State District: Melton Federal Division: Lalor Localities around Melton: Melton West Kurunjang Toolern Vale Melton West Melton Plumpton Brookfield Melton South Melton South
- For other uses of the term Melton, see Melton (disambiguation).
Melton is an outer-suburban city of Melbourne Victoria, Australia located 35 km east from Melbourne's central business district. It is the administrative centre for the Shire of Melton Local Government Area. At the 2006 Census, the Shire of Melton had a population of 35,490. Melton is part of Melbourne's population statistical division, meaning that it is considered part of Greater Melbourne.
Melton began as a small town before being declared a satellite city in 1974, separated from Melbourne's urban area by a green wedge. Since the 1990s it experienced rapid suburban growth into surrounding greenfield land and become a commuter town in the Melbourne-Ballarat. Changes to Melbourne's urban growth boundary passed by the state government in 2010 effectively relinquish its satellite city status as it is planned to become part of Melbourne's future metropolitan conurbation.
Melton was first settled by squatters establishing sheep runs in the area in the 1830s and a small settlement benefited from traffic passing through it on the way to the Ballarat gold fields during the Victorian Gold Rush. The Post Office opened on 1 March 1856.
Melton is located on flat, formerly volcanic plains.
Melton consists of 6 suburban areas forming a single urban area with Melton being at its centre. In the south of Melton are the suburbs of Melton South and Brookfield. In the north are Kurunjang and Toolern Vale. Melton West is another suburb.
Arts and Culture
Many live performances are held at the Melton Civic Centre, on High Street, and also at the Tabcorp Park racing complex, on Ferris Road, Melton South.
And every year, the Djerriwarrh Festival is held in the city each November. The festival includes a street parade down High Street, two-day market stalls, and the Lions Club Carnival, held in the Police Paddock on High Street.
Melton is the home of the harness racing complex Tabcorp Park, and is the base for Harness Racing Victoria. The 2009 Australasian Breeders Crown was the first major race meeting held at the venue in August 2009.
Melton is also home to the second round of the Continental Australian Superboat Championship, and the 2009 World Series of the V8 Jetboats. Both events are held at the Melton Jetboat Complex at MacPherson Park, about 7 km north of the Melton CBD.
Melton is the administrative centre for the Shire of Melton. The Shire of Melton's Coburn Ward covers the central Melton area.
All areas of Melton receive the same analogue and digital television stations as Melbourne. It is also within in the broadcast range of all commercial radio stations from Melbourne, and is an end point for digital radio broadcasts in metropolitan Melbourne. Digital radio is available in most of the city but signal diminishes towards the West.
Melton has two local newspapers - The Melton Leader and Melton Weekly.
The city is also home to a radio station, 979fm.
The main form of transportation in Melton is the automobile. Melton has been identified by the Department of Transport as one of the most car-dependent communities in Greater Melbourne. As such Melton has a substantial network of busy roads. The Western Freeway connects Melton with Melbourne's west runs through the urban area to the south, but bypasses the city centre which is located along High Street, a very wide dual carriageway with service lanes. There are two major freeway interchanges in the urban area, one for Coburns Road which is the main north-south arterial and another for the Melton Highway (C754), an alternative route to the northern suburbs of Melbourne and branches north to the Melton-Gisborne Road (C705) at Kurrunjang connecting Melton to Gisborne.
Melton railway station (located in Melton South) is on the Ballarat railway line. V/Line provides VLocity passenger train services run to and from Southern Cross Station (journey time of between 27–48 minutes). Although specifically mentioned in the Victorian Transport Plan, the government is yet to commit to a project plan for railway electrification system to Melton  despite strong local lobby for it. The railway station is a very popular park and ride locality, however it has been criticised due to notoriously poor parking infrasture.
Buses service running between 5:30am-9pm on weekdays and 8am-9pm on weekends connect the city's suburbs to the railway station and also Melbourne's outer suburbs including the 456 to Sunshine via Caroline Springs; 457 from Melton West to the railway station; 458 Kurrunjang to the railway station; and 459 Arnolds Creek to the railway station via Westlake. A shuttle service also provides services to Melbourne Airport.
Melton has several primary and secondary schools.
- Melton Primary School - Unitt Street, City.
- St. Dominic's Catholic Primary School - Unitt Street, City.
- Wedge Park Primary School - Cambrian Way, West Melton.
- St. Catherine of Siena Primary School - Bulmans Road, Melton West.
- St. Anthony of Padua Primary School - Wilson Road, Melton South.
- Melton South Primary School - Station Road, Melton South.
- Melton West Primary School - West Melton Drive, Melton West
- Coburn Primary School- Richards Road, Melton South
- Mowbray College
- Exford Primary School
- Kurunjang Primary school
- Kurunjang Secondary College - Kurunjang Drive, Kurunjang.
- Melton Secondary College - Cnr. Coburns Rd. and High Streets, Melton West.
- Catholic Regional College - Bulmans Road, Melton West.
- Mowbray College - Centenary Avenue, Melton North.
- Staughton College (Formerly Wilson Park Secondary College) - Wilson Road, Melton South.
- Melton Christian College - Brooklyn Road, Melton South
- ^ Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Melton (Urban Centre/Locality)". 2006 Census QuickStats. http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/ABSNavigation/prenav/LocationSearch?collection=Census&period=2006&areacode=UCL232400&producttype=QuickStats&breadcrumb=PL&action=401. Retrieved 2007-10-25.
- ^ http://www.vcec.vic.gov.au/CA256EAF001C7B21/WebObj/MelbourneSD/$File/Melbourne%20SD.pdf Melbourne Statistical Division
- ^ http://www.melton.vic.gov.au/Page/Page.asp?Page_Id=1526&h=1
- ^ Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". https://www.premierpostal.com/cgi-bin/wsProd.sh/Viewpocdwrapper.p?SortBy=VIC&country=. Retrieved 2008-04-11.
- ^ http://www.transport.vic.gov.au/DOI/DOIElect.nsf/$UNIDS+for+Web+Display/2F39BE88F87138ECCA2577C3000DB4EA/$FILE/IA-2009-MeltonDuplicationandElectrification-Stages1-6.pdf
- ^ http://www.vline.com.au/about/vtp/victoriantransportplan.html
- ^ http://mps.vic.greens.org.au/electrifymeltonline
- ^ Macleer, Liam Melton Railway Station suffers: MP Melton Leader 20th October 2010
Toolern Vale and District Primary School - Creamery Rd., Toolen Vale, 3337
Suburbs of the Shire of Melton Cities of Victoria, AustraliaRegional Victoria List of Melbourne suburbs · List of localities in Victoria
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Melton, Victoria (suburb) — Melton Melbourne, Victoria High St, Melton viewed from outside Melton institution, Ollie s Chicken … Wikipedia
Melton South, Victoria — Melton South Melbourne, Victoria Shopping strip, Exford Road … Wikipedia
Melton Secondary College — Name Melton Secondary College previously Melton High School Address Cnr Coburns Road and High Street Suburb Melton, Victoria 3337 Established … Wikipedia
Melton Airfield, Victoria — Melton Airfield is a small grass strip airfield located approximately 5km north of the township of Melton in the Shire of Melton, Victoria, Australia. It is located at the intersection of Coburns Road and Diggers Rest Coimadai Road. The small… … Wikipedia
Melton — As a place name, Melton may refer to: Melton, Victoria, a satellite town outside Melbourne, Australia Electoral district of Melton, the Victorian Legislative Assembly electorate based on Melton Melton, Victoria (suburb), a suburb of Melton Shire… … Wikipedia
Melton (disambiguation) — The name Melton has several meanings:Places* Melton, East Riding of Yorkshire, England * Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, England ** Melton, the local government district based in it * Melton, Suffolk, EnglandIn Australia * Melton, Victoria, a… … Wikipedia
Melton Mowbray — Coordinates: 52°45′58″N 0°53′10″W / 52.7661°N 0.8860°W / 52.7661; 0.8860 … Wikipedia
Melton railway station, Melbourne — Melton Station information Code MVT Distance from Flinders Street … Wikipedia
Melton (Australie) — Melton Le syndicat d initiative de Melton Administration Pays … Wikipédia en Français
Melton West, Victoria — Melton West Melbourne, Victoria … Wikipedia