Maple Ridge Wind Farm
Maple Ridge Wind Farm is the largest wind farm in the state of New York in the United States, with 195 Vestas model V82 1.65 MW wind turbines. Each turbine tower is 260 feet (79 m) tall. Each turbine has blades 130 feet (40 m) long, which added to the hub diameter gives a rotor diameter of 270 feet (82 m). Collectively, the turbines are capable of producing a maximum of 320 MW, which accounts for three quarters of the wind power capacity of New York. Maple Ridge Wind Farm became fully operational in January 2006.
The wind farm is located on Tug Hill in Lewis County, New York. The site was chosen because it lies at an elevation of 1,600–1,800 feet (490–550 m) and experiences strong lake-effect weather patterns from nearby Lake Ontario. The area is used primarily as pasture and feed-crop land.
Mixed feelings from neighbors of the Maple Ridge Wind Farm are reported.
The Maple Ridge Wind Farm was featured during the 2007 Wind Tour of Assemblyman Pete Lopez.
- Wind power in New York
- Wind power in the United States
- ^ "Major US order for Vestas Wind Systems". Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Denmark). 2005-04-07. http://www.investindk.com/visNyhed.asp?artikelID=12972. Retrieved 2008-09-07.
- ^ "Maple Ridge Wind Farm". Horizon Wind Energy. http://www.horizonwind.com/projects/whatwevedone/mapleridge/. Retrieved 2008-09-07.
- ^ a b "Maple Ridge Wind Farm Landmark Project Will Quadruple New York Wind Energy Capacity". Climate Change Chronicles. April 7, 2005. http://www.climatechange.com.au/2005/04/07/maple-ridge-wind-farm-landmark-project-will-quadruple-new-york-wind-energy-capacity/. Retrieved 2006-05-16.
- ^ "Wind Farm Buffets Family, Town Relations by David Baron". http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89432191. Retrieved 2008-04-09.
- ^ "Wind Tour". New York State Assembly. http://assembly.state.ny.us/member_files/127/20070806/. Retrieved 2008-09-07.
- OnEarth Magazine » Falling in Love with Wind
- OnEarth Podcast » Milking Wind, Instead of Cows
- Artistic documentary film about Maple Ridge Wind Farm
- IBEW Wind Farm on YouTube - a video showing International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers members wiring up the turbines
- "Maple Ridge Wind Farm". http://www.mapleridgewind.com/. Retrieved 2006-05-16.
- Building the Maple Ridge Wind Farm Photographs of the turbines being off loaded at the Oswego Port Authority & shipped to Lowville.
Wind power in the United States American Wind Energy Association · List of wind farms in the United States Wind power by state Large wind farms Wind power companies
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Maple Ridge (disambiguation) — Maple Ridge may refer to *Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada *Maple Ridge, Ontario, Canada *Maple Ridge, Michigan, USA *Maple Ridge, Ohio, USA *Maple Ridge neighborhood in Edmonton, Canada *Maple Ridge, Calgary, a neighbourhood of Calgary,… … Wikipedia
Maple Ridge — may refer to a location in North America: Canada Maple Ridge, British Columbia, a district municipality Maple Ridge, Muskoka Municipal District in Lake of Bays, Ontario Maple Ridge, Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry United Counties in North Dundas,… … Wikipedia
Horizon Wind Energy — is a wind energy developer and independent power producer. Horizon has developed wind farms in New York, Iowa, Pennsylvania, Washington, Oklahoma, Minnesota, Oregon, Texas and Illinois. Originally Zilkha Renewable Energy, Horizon was purchased by … Wikipedia
Lowville (village), New York — Infobox Settlement official name = Lowville, New York settlement type = Village nickname = motto = imagesize = image caption = image |pushpin pushpin label position = pushpin map caption =Location within the state of New York pushpin mapsize =… … Wikipedia
Pete Lopez — Peter Lopez is a member of the New York State Assembly, for the 127th district first elected in 2006. He is a Republican. Early life Lopez was raised in Schoharie, NY. He graduated from Schoharie High School and attended SUNY Cobleskill.Lopez… … Wikipedia
Chetwynd, British Columbia — District of Chetwynd District … Wikipedia
Liste des fermes éoliennes terrestres — Puissance éolienne mondiale installée 1996 2008 Ceci est une liste des plus grands parcs éoliens terrestres qui sont actuellement opérationnels, évalué par la puissance. La liste comporte également des parcs éoliens onshore avec une notoriété… … Wikipédia en Français
Cherry Springs State Park — Coordinates: 41°39′46″N 77°49′23″W / 41.66278°N 77.82306°W / 41.66278; 77.82306 … Wikipedia
Duluth, Minnesota — Duluth City City of Duluth … Wikipedia
Coquitlam — Coquitlam, British Columbia … Wikipedia