- Chris Watson (musician)
Watson speaking at the 2009 WIRED Lab.
Background information Born Sheffield, England Genres Electronic, field recordings Instruments Multi-instrumentalist Labels Rough Trade Associated acts Cabaret Voltaire
Christopher Richard Watson is a Sheffield-born musician and sound recordist specialising in natural history. He was a founding member of the musical group Cabaret Voltaire, and Watson's work as a wildlife sound recordist has covered television documentaries and experimental musical collaborations.
He has released three solo albums of field recordings: Outside the Circle of Fire, Stepping into the Dark (which won an Award of Distinction at the 2000 Prix ARS Electronica Festival in Linz, Austria), and Weather Report. He has also released a variety of works in collaboration with other artists, including Star Switch On, a collaboration with Mika Vainio of Pan Sonic, Philip Jeck, Hazard, Fennesz, AER, and Biosphere. In 2007 he released Storm with BJNilsen, and in 2011 "Cross-Pollination" and "El Tren Fantasma". All of these recordings were released on Touch.
The Weather Report album from 2003 was named as one of the thousand albums you should hear before you die in The Guardian.
In 2006 he was awarded an honorary Doctor of Technology degree by the University of the West of England "in recognition of his outstanding contribution to sound recording technology, especially in the field of natural history and documentary location sound".
In 2010 he devised an art project at Liverpool's Alder Hey Children's Hospital, using sound recordings made by children to calm other young patients as they received injections and other treatments.
Watson has made and been featured in a number of BBC radio programmes:
- The Reed Bed
- Series of five, fifteen-minute radio programmes, broadcast on Radio Four from 19–23 March 2007.
- A Guide to Garden Birds
- Series of five, fifteen-minute radio programmes, broadcast weekly on Radio Four from 22 May 2007
- A Guide to Farmland Birds
- Series of five, fifteen-minute radio programmes, broadcast weekly on Radio Four from 22 August 2011
Watson attended Rowlinson School and Stannington College (now part of Sheffield College), both in Sheffield. He is married to Maggie, who appeared momentarily on-screen with him in episode 3 of Autumnwatch, 2010.
- Stepping into the Dark (1996, Touch (UK) Touch Music)
- Outside the Circle of Fire (1998, Touch (UK) Touch Music)
- Weather Report (Chris Watson album) (2003, Touch (UK) Touch Music)
- Cima Verde (2008, Fondazione Edmund Mach and LoL Productions)
- Cross-Pollination (Chris Watson + Marcus Davidson album) (2011, Touch (UK) Touch Music)
- El Tren Fantasma (Chris Watson album) (2011, Touch (UK) Touch Music)
- Star Switch On with Mika Vainio, Philip Jeck, Hazard, Fennesz, AER, and Biosphere (2002, Touch (UK) Touch Music)
- Number One with KK Null and Z'EV (2005, Touch (UK) Touch Music)
- Storm with B. J. Nilsen (2006, Touch (UK) Touch Music)
- Siren with Alec Finlay Platform Projects # ISBN 0-9546831-7-X [CD EP]
- ^ Cooper, Sean. "Biography: Chris Watson". Allmusic. http://www.allmusic.com/artist/p136405. Retrieved 3 May 2010.
- ^ Moss, Stephen (24 August 2010). "Birdsong: the cure for all ills?". The Guardian (London). http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/aug/24/birdsong-calming-young-hospital-patients. Retrieved 25 August 2010.
- ^ "Imagine Appeal - Alder Hey Arts". http://www.imagineappeal.com/about/art.asp. Retrieved 25 August 2010.
- ^ Autumn watch 2010, episode 3
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Chris Watson (disambiguation) — Chris Watson may refer to: Chris Watson (1867 – 1941), the third Prime Minister of Australia Chris Watson (American football), former American football player Chris Watson (musician), sound recordist specialising in natural history, founding… … Wikipedia
Watson (surname) — Watson is a surname, and may refer to many people.A*A. J. Watson (born 1924), automotive engineer *Alberta Watson (born 1955), Canadian actress *Alexander Watson (born 1939), American diplomat *Allen Watson (born 1970), American baseball player… … Wikipedia
Chris Woods — For the jazz saxophonist, see Chris Woods (musician). Chris Woods Personal information Full name Christopher Charles Eric Woods Date of birth … Wikipedia
Chris While — Birth name Christine Mills Born 1956 Origin Barrow in Furness, Lancashire (now in) Cumbria, England Genres Folk music, country music, Americana … Wikipedia
Chris Volpe — Background information Birth name Christopher Robert Volpe Born Cleveland, Ohio, US … Wikipedia
Chris Jericho — Jericho on his 2007 book tour. Ring name(s) Chris Jericho Corazón de León[ … Wikipedia
Chris Constantinou — Background information Also known as Chris De Niro, Jackie On Assid Origin London, England … Wikipedia
Chris Whitley — in concert in Belgium, 1998 Background information Birth name Christopher Becker Whitley Born … Wikipedia
Prince (musician) — Prince Prince in 2009 in Paris, France Background information … Wikipedia
Jerry Douglas (musician) — Infobox musical artist | Background = non vocal instrumentalist | Instrument = Dobro Name = Jerry Douglas Img capt = Img size = 250 Landscape = Yes Born = birth date and age|1956|5|28 in Warren, Ohio Died = Alias = Genre = Bluegrass, Country… … Wikipedia