John Gossage (born 1946) is an American photographer, noted for his
artist's books and other publications using his photographs to explore under-recognised elements of the urban environment such as abandoned tracts of land, debris and garbage, and graffiti, and themes of surveillance, memory and the relationship between architecture and power.
Gossage was born in
Staten Island, New York Cityin 1946 and at an early age became interested in photography, leaving school at 16 and taking private instruction from Lisette Model, Alexey Brodovichand Bruce Davidson. He later moved to Washington, D.C.to study, and subsequently received a grant from the Washington Gallery of Modern Artwhich allowed him to remain in the city and refine his photographic technique. He has shown his photographs in solo and group exhibitions since 1963 and his work is held in numerous private and public collections, including the Museum of Modern Artin New York, the Corcoran Gallery of Artin Washington D.C., the Sprengel Museumin Hanover, Germany, and the Canadian Centre for Architecturein Montreal.
His publications include "Berlin in the Time of the Wall" (2004), which draws from some 10,000 images taken during more than twenty years of study of the city, "The Romance Industry" (2002), "Empire" (2000), "There and Gone" (1997), "The Things That Animals Care About" (1988), "Stadt des Schwarz", "LAMF: Three Days in Berlin 1987" (1987), and "Hey Fuckface!" (1984), a study of some of the Environmental Protection Agency-listed hazardous waste sites in and near Staten Island and
Syracuse, New York. Several of these books are published in unusual formats, such as a wooden box with sliding Plexiglas panel, or with a newspaper clipping dustcover. Gossage collaborated with then-wife Terri Weifenbachon the photographic book "Snake Eyes" (2002). After a number of years with Nazraeli Presshis usual publisher is now Loosestrife Editionsand Steidl Verlag.
He has taught at the
University of Maryland, College Parkand curated several photographic exhibitions. He lives and works in Washington, D.C.
* [http://authorities.loc.gov/webvoy.htm Anglo-American Name Authority File, s.v. "Gossage, John R.", LC Control Number n 79075639] . Accessed 11 May 2006.
* [http://www.cca.qc.ca/pages/Niveau3.asp?page=expoempire&lang=eng Canadian Centre for Architecture; Exhibitions, 'Empire'] . Accessed 11 May 2006.
* Gossage, John. "Hey Fuckface!" (Tucson, Arizona: Nazraeli Press, 2002).
* [http://www.nazraeli.com/ Nazraeli Press] . Accessed 11 May 2006.
* [http://www.photoeye.com/templates/ShowDetailsbyCat.cfm?Catalog=tr071 Photo-eye, "Hey F**kface"] . Accessed 11 May 2006.
* [http://www.photoeye.com/templates/mShowDetailsbycat.cfm?Catalog=ZC017 Photo-eye, "Snake Eyes"] . Accessed 11 May 2006.
* [http://www.photographynow.de/artists/publi_K11825.html?PHPSESSID=d669e685dbb23b2f810f57b7247b2f06 Photography-now.com. "John Gossage"] . Accessed 11 May 2006.
* [http://www.imagearts.ryerson.ca/imagesandideas/pages/reference.cfm?page=201 Ryerson University; The Kodak Lecture Series; John Gossage, Date of Lecture: 1999-11-12] . Accessed 11 May 2006.
* [http://www.stephendaitergallery.com/dynamic/artist.asp?ArtistID=29 Stephen Daiter Gallery; Artists; John Gossage] ] . Accessed 11 May 2006.
* [http://www.getty.edu/vow/ULANFullDisplay?find=gossage%2C+john&role=&nation=&prev_page=1&subjectid=500102927 Union List of Artist Names, s.v. "Gossage, John"] . Accessed 11 May 2006.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
John Gossage — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Gossage. John Gossage est un photographe américain, né en 1946 à Staten Island (New York). John Gossage est reconnu pour ses livres d artiste et d autres publications dans lesquelles il utilise ses photographies… … Wikipédia en Français
Gossage — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Patronymes John Gossage, photographe américain Rich Gossage, sportif Thom Gossage, homme de musique William Gossage, chimiste anglais. Catégories :… … Wikipédia en Français
Gossage — Howard Luck Gossage (* 30. August 1917 in Chicago; † 9. Juli 1969) war ein US amerikanischer Werbetexter und Art Director, der besonders in den 1960er Jahren im deutschsprachigen Raum und in den Vereinigten Staaten mit seinen kritischen… … Deutsch Wikipedia
John Hutchinson (industrialist) — Infobox Scientist name = John Hutchinson image width = 220px caption = John Hutchinson aged 28 birth date = 1825 birth place = Liverpool death date = 14 March 1865 death place = Widnes, Lancashire residence = England nationality = English field … Wikipedia
John Clarkson — For the slavery abolitionist, see John Clarkson (abolitionist). John Clarkson Pitcher Born: July 1, 1861( … Wikipedia
John Adrian Chamier — Infobox Military Person name=John Adrian Chamier lived=26 December1883 3 May1974 nickname=Father of the ATC caption=Chamier during service with the Royal Air Force allegiance=United Kingdom serviceyears=1902 29 rank=Air Commodore commands=Air… … Wikipedia
Leslie Gossage — Infobox Military Person name=Sir Ernest Leslie Gossage lived=3 February1891 8 July1949 nickname= caption= allegiance=United Kingdom serviceyears=1912 1944 rank=Air Marshal branch=Royal Air Force commands=No. 56 Squadron RFC No. 8 Squadron RFC 1st … Wikipedia
Howard Luck Gossage — (* 30. August 1917 in Chicago; † 9. Juli 1969) war ein US amerikanischer Werbetexter und Art Director, der besonders in den 1960er Jahren im deutschsprachigen Raum und in den Vereinigten Staaten mit seinen kritischen Äußerungen über Werbung… … Deutsch Wikipedia
List of photographers — This is a list of notable photographers who already have articles. Contents: Top · 0–9 · A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z Key … Wikipedia
National Assembly for Wales election, 2007 — 2003 ← 3 May 2007 → 2011 … Wikipedia