- Oscar Buneman
Upon completion of his Phd with Douglas Hartree in 1940, Buneman joined Hartree's magnetron research group assisting the development of radar during World War II. They discovered the Buneman-Hartree criteron for the voltage threshold of magnetron operation. After the war Buneman developed theories and simulations of collisionless dissipation of currents, called the Buneman instability. This is an example of anomalous resistivity or absorption. It is anomalous because the phenomenon does not depend on collisions. Buneman advanced elliptic equation solver methods and their associated applications (as well as for the fast Fourier transforms).
Oscar Buneman died near Stanford University.
- Buneman, O., "Dissipation of currents in ionized media". Physical Review, 115, 503 (1959).
- Buneman, O., "Time reversible difference procedures". Journal of Computers Physics. 1, 517 (1967).
- Buneman, O., "A compact non-iterative poisson-solver". SUIPR report 294, Stanford University (1969).
- Buneman, O., "Fast numerical procedures for computer experiments on relativistic plasmas, in "Relativistic Plasmas (The Coral Gables Conference)", Benjamin, NY, 1968.
- Buneman, O., "Subgrid resolution of flow and force fields". Journal of Computers Physics. 11, 250 (1973).
- Buneman, O., and et al., "Principles and capabilities of 3d EM particle simulations". Journal of Computers Physics. 38, 1 (1980).
- Buneman, R., and et al., "A tribute to Oscar Buneman - pioneer of plasma simulation". IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science. Vancouver, BC, Canada. ISSN 0093-3813
- Langdon, Bruce, "Remembrances of Oscar Buneman". ICNSP'98.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Peter Buneman — Infobox Scientist name = Peter Buneman image width = caption = birth date = birth place = death date = death place = residence = Edinburgh, United Kingdom citizenship = British nationality = British ethnicity = field = Computer Science work… … Wikipedia
Douglas Hartree — Douglas Rayner Hartree PhD, FRS (27 March 1897 – 12 February 1958) was an English mathematician and physicist most famous for the development of numerical analysis and its application to the Hartree Fock equations of atomic physics and the… … Wikipedia
List of plasma physicists — *Alexei Alexeyevich Abrikosov *Hannes Alfvén Received the only Nobel Prize specifically for contributions to plasma physics. *Willard Harrison Bennett The Z pinch is a form of Bennett pinch . Also invented radio frequency mass spectrometry.… … Wikipedia
Particle in Cell — Der Begriff Particle in Cell (PIC, zu deutsch etwa Teilchen in einer Zelle ) bezeichnet in der theoretischen Physik eine Technik zum Lösen bestimmter Klassen von partiellen Differentialgleichungen. Kernelement dabei ist, dass simulierte Teilchen… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Pinch (plasma physics) — For other uses, see Pinch (disambiguation). Lightning bolts illustrating electromagnetically pinched plasma filaments … Wikipedia