- Crown Financial Ministries
Crown Financial Ministries Type Non-profit Industry Christian Finances
Founded 1976, merged in 2000 Headquarters Gainesville, GA, USA Key people Howard Dayton, Co-founder
Chuck Bentley, CEO
Ron Blue, Chairman
Larry Burkett, deceased Co-founder
Crown Financial Ministries is a nondenominational, evangelical Christian ministry with the mission of equipping Christians around the world to learn, apply and teach financial principles which they claim are based on the Bible. The ministry's goal is to teach 300 million people by September 2015.
It was formed in 2000 by a merger of Larry Burkett's Christian Financial Concepts, (founded 1976), and Howard Dayton's Crown Ministries, (founded 1985). However, Burkett focused his ministry on mass media, (his radio show, Money Matters and a number of books), while Dayton focused on activities within churches.
The two had met in the 1990s and quickly became friends; they considered the merger logical due to the near-identical mission of their two groups. Burkett was chairman of the board of the combined entity until his 2003 cancer-related death; Dayton was CEO since the time of the merger until 2007 when Chuck Bentley became CEO.
- A radio show, Crown Radio: Money Matters was hosted by Dayton and Steve Moore, and aired on 1,100 radio stations. An estimated 2,000,000 listeners in the US listen to the program, which is also aired in Africa, Australia and China. A Spanish-language version is aired in 23 countries. As of April 1, 2008, the show has been renamed MoneyLife and hosted by Chuck Bentley. Howard Dayton has stepped aside as host and CEO to focus on writing books and speaking, but remains actively involved in Crown, according to their website.
- Training volunteer "Money Map" coaches (there are currently over 10,000) to assist individuals and families.
- Various activities (small-group studies, workshops and seminars) with churches of all denominations.
- Selling guides for career management and computer software.
- Providing financial guides for children and teens.
Its message is similar to the message given by financial talk show host Dave Ramsey, claiming that getting out of debt and controlling one's expectation of living are two important parts of Christian discipleship. In fact, Dave Ramsey credits the late Larry Burkett as one of his mentors who helped him get out of debt and form his thoughts and ideas on finances. While they acknowledge there is no direct admonition in the Bible against assuming debt, they heavily discourage taking it on.
Some Christian financial planners, such as Gary Moore, criticize Crown for what they consider an aversion to taking on debt.
- www.crown.org - the ministry's website
- http://www.ministrywatch.com/mw2.1/F_FullRpt.asp?EIN=581260812 - a history and financial profile of the ministry
- http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2006/005/23.40.html - May 2006 article from Christianity Today about Crown, Dave Ramsey and Gary Moore
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Crown — or The Crown may refer to: Crown (anatomy), a part of the head or of a hat Headgear Coronet, a small crown consisting of ornaments fixed on a metal ring. Unlike a crown, a coronet never has arches. Crown (headgear), ceremonial… … Wikipedia
Crown College (Minnesota) — Crown College Motto Called to Serve. Prepared to Lead Established 1916 Type Private Religious … Wikipedia
Howard Dayton — was born on October 7, 1943 in Daytona Beach, Florida. After graduating from the School of Hotel Administration at Cornell University in 1967, he served two anda half years as a naval officer. In 1969 Howard developed The Caboose, a successful… … Wikipedia
Chuck Bentley — Born July 2, 1957 Wichita Falls, Texas Education Business Administration Alma mater Baylor University … Wikipedia
Larry Burkett — BackgroundLarry Burkett (b. March 3, 1939; d. July 4, 2003) was an American author and radio personality whose work focused on financial counseling from an evangelical Christian point of view. Burkett was born the fifth of eight children. After… … Wikipedia
Austin Pryor — Austin C. Pryor, Jr. (April 3, 1945) is an American financial writer, speaker, and radio personality whose work focuses on investment counseling from an evangelical Christian point of view.=Background=Pryor is a native of Louisville, Kentucky,… … Wikipedia
Южная баптистская конвенция — Логотип Южной баптистской конвенции Южная баптистская конвенция (англ. Southern Baptist Convention) … Википедия
Alliance Defense Fund — The Alliance Defense Fund (ADF) is a conservative Christian nonprofit organization with the stated goal of defending the right to hear and speak the Truth through strategy, training, funding, and litigation. [… … Wikipedia
Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila — Infobox NFLactive currentteam=Green Bay Packers currentnumber=94 currentposition=Defensive end birthdate=birth date and age|1977|9|24 birthplace=Los Angeles, California heightft=6 heightin=4 weight=247 debutyear=2000 debutteam=Green Bay Packers… … Wikipedia
CFM — Cubic Feet Per Minute (Governmental » Military) * Cubic foot per minute (Academic & Science » Electronics) * Crown Financial Ministries (Community » Religion) * Cold Fusion Markup (Computing » Software) * Cross Flow Microfiltered (Academic &… … Abbreviations dictionary