David K. Niles (November 23, 1888 – September 28, 1952; Boston, Massachusetts) was a political advisor who worked in the White House from 1942–1951 for the administrations of Franklin Roosevelt and Harry Truman. Niles was one of only two Roosevelt aides retained by Truman upon his assumption of the presidency. Niles was deeply sympathetic to the Zionist hope of establishing a Jewish state in their homeland in Palestine, and was important in providing access to the White House for American Zionists. Niles was said to be capable of bending the president's ear to Zionist arguments.  In 1947, President Truman awarded him the Medal for Merit.
Niles was the first of six children born to Russian Jewish immigrants Asher K. Neyhus and Sophie Berlin. He and his father kept the middle initial "K" to honor their heritage as kohanim. While in attendance at Brimmer Grammar School, Niles became acquainted with author Edward Everett Hale, who became a mentor to Niles as he "supplied the boy with reading material and urged him in his ambition to acquire knowledge".
He graduated from the prestigious Boston Latin School in 1906.
Niles served as both the Associate Director and Director of Boston's Ford Hall Forum (1921-1952), the Director of the American Business Census in Massachusetts (1933-1934), a consultant, director, and assistant administrator of the Works Progress Administration (1936-1939), Special Assistant to the Secretary of Commerce (1939-1940), as well as a consultant and advisor to the Office of Production Management and War Production Board before becoming a presidential advisor. Niles never married.
Allegations of communist connections
In 1943, Congressman Fred Bradley accused Niles of having Communist connections while involved with the Ford Hall Forum. These accusations are thought to have been largely motivated by antisemitism.
More recent allegations of Communist connections to Niles have arisen: A Venona decrypted message from New York to Moscow reported on a plan to send a husband and wife team of NKVD 'illegals' to Mexico.
The message reads:
Through CAPITAN'S (Roosevelt’s) advisor David Niles –will take 3-4 days, will cost 500 dollars.... [A]round Niles there is a group of his friends who will arrange anything for a bribe. Through them TENOR (Michael W. Burd) obtains priorities and has already paid them as much as 6000 dollars. Whether NILES takes a bribe himself is not known for certain.
Burd was a Soviet agent and an officer of the Midland Export Corporation in New York City.
- ^ Cohen, Michael Joseph (1990). Truman and Israel. University of California Press. ISBN 0-520-06804-1.
- ^ "Oral History Interview with Edwin M. Wright". Truman Presidential Museum and Library. http://www.trumanlibrary.org/oralhist/wright.htm.
- ^ Who Killed James Forrestal?, David Martin, November 10, 2002
- ^ "Hale's Gift Carried Abroad". New York Times. June 13 1909. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F40A10F73C5A15738DDDAA0994DE405B898CF1D3.
- ^ "David K. Niles Papers". Truman Presidential Museum and Library. http://www.trumanlibrary.org/hstpaper/niles.htm.
- ^ "Venona June 1, 1944". National Security Agency. http://www.nsa.gov/venona/releases/01_Jun_1944_R3_m1_p1.gif.
- ^ Romerstein, Herbert and Breindel, Eric (1997). The Venona Secrets; Exposing Soviet Espionage and America’s Traitors. Regnery Publishing, Inc.. p. 180. ISBN 0-89526-225-8.
- Romerstein, Herbert and Breindel, Eric (1997). The Venona Secrets; Exposing Soviet Espionage and America’s Traitors. Regnery Publishing, Inc.. ISBN 0-89526-225-8.
- Simpson, Cornell (1966). The Death of James Forrestal. Western Islands. ISBN 0-7366-2520-8.
- "David K. Niles Papers". Truman Presidential Museum and Library. http://www.trumanlibrary.org/hstpaper/niles.htm.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
David Niles (director) — David Niles is a director, director of photography and designer. He was one of the first to pioneer the commercial applications of High Definition television. He is cofounder of Colossalvision, a production and post production facility. From 1972 … Wikipedia
Niles — This interesting name is originally of Irish origin, derived from the Gaelic personal name Niall , meaning Champion . It was adopted by the Scandinavians in the form of Njall and was thereafter introduced into England directly from Ireland by the … Surnames reference
Niles Crane — First appearance The Good Son Last appearance Goodnight, Seattle Portrayed by David Hyde Pierce … Wikipedia
David Hyde Pierce — Pierce in New York City in 2010 Born April 3, 1959 (1959 04 03) (age 52) Saratoga Springs, New York, U.S … Wikipedia
Niles East High School — Address 7701 Lincoln Ave. Skokie, Illinois, United States Coordinates … Wikipedia
Niles, Ohio — City Location of Niles, Ohio Coordinates … Wikipedia
Niles North High School — Address 9800 N. Lawler Av. Skokie, Illinois, 60077 United States Coordinates … Wikipedia
David Jenkins (figure skater) — David Jenkins Personal information Country represented United States Born June 29, 1936 (1936 06 29) (age 75) Skating club Broadmoor SC Retired 1960 … Wikipedia
Niles Crane — es un personaje de la serie estadounidense Frasier, un spin off de Cheers. Es interpretado por David Hyde Pierce y su voz en la versión Española la interpreta José Padilla (actor) . Niles es el hermano menor de Frasier Crane y el hijo de Martin… … Wikipedia Español
NILES (Neyhus), DAVID K. — NILES (Neyhus), DAVID K. (1890–1952), U.S. presidential aide. Born in Boston to immigrant Russian parents, Niles went to work in a local department store. He regularly frequented Ford Hall s Sunday forum of public lectures and discussions, and… … Encyclopedia of Judaism