- Sea World
Sea World Location Southport, Queensland, Australia Coordinates Coordinates: Website Official website Owner Warner Village Theme Parks Opened 30 October 1971 Operating season All year round Rides 15 total
- 2 roller coasters
- 3 water rides
Sea World is a marine mammal park, oceanarium, and theme park located on the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia. It includes rides, animal exhibits and other attractions, and promotes conservation through education and through the rescue and rehabilitation of sick, injured or orphaned wildlife. The park is commercially linked to Warner Bros. Movie World and Wet'n'Wild Water World as part of the Warner Village Theme Parks division of Village Roadshow.
Sea World was founded by Keith Williams in 1958. It was originally known as the Surfers Paradise Ski Gardens, which presented “water ski shows that combined comedy, aqua ballet and action”. In 1971, the Surfers Paradise Ski Gardens moved to land on the Spit. Major dredging works were required to build the new ski lake. A year later, the Surfers Paradise Ski Gardens became known as Sea World with the introduction of dolphins, marine displays, a replica of the Endeavour, a swimming pool, licensed restaurant and gift shop. Extra additions over the next decade included the purchasing of competitor marine park, Marineland, and the transfer of animals and exhibits to Sea World as well as the addition of more shops and food outlets.
- In 1975, the Sea World train opened. "The train is a two-third scale replica of Queensland's famous number 6A10, which is now on display at the Queensland Railway Museum. The ride was designed and built by Sea World."
- In 1978, the first major ride was added to Sea World. The Viking's Revenge Flume Ride opened. This ride was custom-built at a cost of $350,000.
- In 1981, the park's first roller-coaster opened. Originally known as the Wild Wave Rollercoaster, it was accompanied by the Pirate Ship and Carousel. The Wild Wave Rollercoaster changed its name to the Thrillseeker and closed in 2002.
- In 1982, the Corkscrew rollercoaster opened. The ride is an Arrow Dynamics Sitdown Looper and features three inversions.
- In 1986, Australia's first monorail opened, the Sea World Monorail System. This ride features three stations throughout the park.
- In 1987, Sea World welcomed the Water Park and Lassiter’s Lost Mine ride. Lassiter's Lost Mine ride was the second water ride for the park and was made in house.
- In 1989, the Sky High Skyway opened. It features a unique bird's eye view of the park.
- In 1994, Bermuda Triangle opened and replaced Lassiter's Lost Mine ride. It used the same ride system but featured updated ride theming. Sea World opened the 3D theatre Sea Dream.
- In 1998, Pirates in 3D debuted at the 3D theatre. The film uses "a series of special effects that enables the audience to feel part of the adventure".
- In 1999, Cartoon Network Cartoon Beach opened featuring five children's rides and an interactive water fountain.
- In 2003, Pirates in 3D was replaced with Planet SOS in 4-D. This film features an environmental message presenting the issues of global warming, ocean habitat destruction, and deforestation.
- In 2004, the park opened "Shark Bay". This system of artificial lagoons allows sharks to be viewed from both above water and underwater. Sharks exhibited include large and potentially dangerous tiger sharks and bull sharks.
- In 2005, the ski show received a makeover and became Waterski Wipeout. Also the water park got a makeover with the relocation of The Plunge from Wet'n'Wild Water World.
- In 2006, the Sea World Eye was introduced for a limited time. Swiss manufacturer CWA Constructions built the 60 metre high wheel which featured 42 air-conditioned gondolas.
- In 2007, Sea World introduced Sesame Street Beach. Sesame Street Beach replaced Cartoon Network Cartoon Beach with the addition of a new stage show and a new ride.
- In 2008, Jet Rescue opened. Jet Rescue is a motorbike launch coaster made by Intamin which features jet-ski cars. It is themed to a sea-lion rescue. Also 'Ray Reef' opened featuring over 100 rays 'flying and gliding' under the water. It is Sea World's first new wildlife exhibit since 2004.
- In 2009, Sea World updated and renewed several things. In early 2009, the Pirate Ship attraction closed and removed from the park. Waterski Wipeout performed its last show on 20 July. Pirates Unleashed opened on Boxing Day as a replacement. In September, Sea World announced the opening of Ocean Rescue, a new film for their theatre replacing Planet SOS in 4-D. A new educational exhibit also opened in 2009 titled Shark Attack which replaced Dugong Discovery. The Corkscrew rollercoaster was rethemed and renamed to become the Sea Viper.
- In 2010, the park closed Shark Attack, the Sea World Aquarium, Ocean Rescue, Bermuda Triangle and part of the Water Park to construct new attractions. In September, Castaway Bay opened in former location of the water park. It is a children's area featuring Sky Fortress (a climbing structure), Sky Climb (a set of high ropes) and Battle Sails (a water battle). Also in September, Ocean Rescue was replaced by Happy Feet 3D Experience. In October, Sea World closed the Bermuda Triangle for routine maintenance before closing the ride permanently. Its replacement is expected to be open by late 2011. Sea World also opened Penguin Encounter, an Antarctic penguin exhibit where Shark Attack And Sea World Aquarium once stood on 26 December 2010. During the summer school holidays Sea World ran Jet Stunt Extreme as a temporary jet-ski-based stunt show located on the Sea World lake. It operated for a limited season until 23 January 2011. Sea World has noted that it could become a permanent addition depending on the overall success of the show.
- In 2011, Pirates Unleashed had its final performance on 20 July. Jet Stunt Extreme returned on 17 September 2011. On 16 August 2011, Sea World announced a partnership with Nickelodeon which would see characters like SpongeBob SquarePants and Dora the Explorer appear in park shows from Christmas 2011. The partnership will see Sea World run SpongeBob ParadePants-tacular and Dora's Best Friends Adventure.
- Castaway Bay opened in September 2010. It is contains a new children's area featuring Sky Fortress (a climbing structure), Sky Climb (a set of high ropes) and Battle Boats (formerly Battle Sails, an interactive water battle). It is located at the northern half of the Water Park.
- Jet Rescue is Sea World's latest roller coaster. The ride is themed around the journey of a Sea World Rescue Team on a mission to save marine life. Riders board a jet ski and race at speeds of up to 70 kilometres per hour (43 mph) around a highly twisted and banked track.
- Sea Viper (originally named the Corkscrew) is the only looping roller coaster at the park and features three inversions. The ride is an Arrow Dynamics sit down looper which opened in 1982. In 2009, the ride had the train replaced and became the Sea Viper.
- Sea World Monorail System was the first mono rail system in Australia. It allows guests to travel between three stations throughout the park.
- Sesame Street Beach is a themed zone featuring several rides specifically designed for children. The area also features a live show - Bert and Ernie's Island Holiday. The area was originally themed to Cartoon Network with all but one of the current rides. Bert and Ernie's Big Dive, Oscar's Sweep the Beach, Elmo's Sea Subs, Zoe's Sub Splash and The Cookie Monster Cup Carousel all previously existed under different names. Big Bird Bounce was a new attraction for Sesame Street Beach.
- Sky High Skyway offers a unique bird's eye view of the park. The ride takes guests from the top of the park, near the entrance, to the castle which houses the Sea World Theatre.
- Viking's Revenge Flume Ride is a water flume ride. Opening in 1979, this ride was built by Sea World and was Australia's first theme park ride.
- Dora's Best Friends Adventure will be a live stage show featuring Dora and Diego adjacent to Sesame Street Beach. It will begin in December 2011.
- Fish Detectives is the latest incarnation of Sea World's seal show. The show features similar tricks to previous shows with only the storyline and music changing. The show is based around the fish store Alota Baloney, where Big Al is making big profits by catching too many fish. The detective team, made up of humans and sea lions, are on the case to catch Big Al and solve this environmental crime.
- Happy Feet 3-D Experience has replaced the former documentary Ocean Rescue in the Sea World Theatre. Happy Feet 3D has been showing since September 2010.
- Imagine is the latest incarnation of Sea World's dolphin show. The show features similar tricks to previous shows with only the storyline and music changing. The show is set in Dolphin Cove which is the largest sandy bottom lagoon ever built for dolphins containing five different pools and more than 17 million litres of water. Each show caters for 2,500 guests with additional grass seating available.
- Jet Stunt Extreme is a live jet-ski-based stunt show located on the Sea World lake set to open in September 2011. It previously operated for a limited season over the summer of 2010-2011. Due to the success of the show it has replaced Pirates Unleashed and will become a permanent addition from September onwards.
- SpongeBob ParadePants-tacular will be a multi-million dollar parade on the Sea World Lake featuring a cast of characters from SpongeBob SquarePants including SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward, Mr. Krabs, Sandy and Plankton. It will begin in December 2011.
- Dolphin Nursery Pool is part of Sea World's highly successful dolphin breeding program which has resulted in dolphin births. The exhibit allows guests to see young dolphins develop under the protective watch of their mothers.
- Penguin Encounter is a 96-square-metre (1,030 sq ft) Antarctic penguin exhibit featuring a 220 cubic metres (7,800 cu ft) pool with under and above water viewing.
- Penguin Point is an exhibit featuring Fairy Penguins. Unlike Penguins on Parade, the previous penguin exhibit at Sea World, Penguin Point has a larger, more open style. It contains a variety of substrates including gravel, rock and grass as well as a large pool. The exhibit can house up to 60 penguins.
- Polar Bear Shores is Australia's only Polar Bear exhibit. It was one of the most technologically advanced exhibits for Polar Bears when it opened in 2001. Guests can view the polar bears from three viewing platforms: ground level, underwater and above ground. Currently (2009) there are three polar bears in Polar Bear Shores: Lia, Hudson and Nelson.
- Ray Reef allows guests to meet, feed and learn about one of the ocean's most misunderstood inhabitants. The exhibit features over 100 rays.
- Rescue Point Lighthouse showcases the achievements of Sea World's Research and Rescue Foundation.
- Seabird Rehabilitation Aviary is designed to house birds under care and rehabilitation. According to the official website, "many of the sea birds housed in this area will never return to the wild due to severe disabilities which have been caused mostly by mans’ ignorance and careless ways. For example, we have received pelicans that have had a broken wing from being caught in fishing line. Their wings have since been amputated. Those that recover from their injuries are free to leave at any time."
- Shark Bay is the world's largest man-made lagoon system for sharks. The exhibit consists of four zones allowing for viewing and interaction. The zones include a touch pool, an inter-tidal zone, a reef lagoon and a shark lagoon. Four 10 x 3 metre windows allows all guests to see the sea life featured in these pools.
- Animal Adventures. For an additional fee, guests can take part in Animal Adventures where they can swim with Sea World's marine life.
- Pedal Boats is an upcharge attraction where guests can board a 2 or 4 person pedal boat and navigate around the former ski lake.
- Sea World Books is Sea World's latest franchise. The franchise offers educational children's books about various marine animals.
- Sea World Cruises and Sea World Whale Watch make use of Sea World's "luxurious cruiser". During the winter months (when whales are travelling up and down the Gold Coast), Sea World operates Whale Watching tours. For the rest of the year, Sea World takes guests on a ride around the calm canals of the Gold Coast.
- Sea World Helicopters allow guests to choose between 5 different tours of the Gold Coast ranging from 5 minutes to 30 minutes. For a further additional charge, guests can purchase a souvenir DVD of their flight.
Sea World Resort and Water Park
As the name suggests, Sea World Resort and Water Park is an adjoining Resort and Water Park to Sea World. In 2008, the Sea World Water Park became part of the resort with regular park guests having to pay an additional fee to make use of the water park. More information about the Sea World Resort and Water Park can be found on its official website. In 2010, part of the Water Park was demolished to make way for Castaway Bay.
Television series filmed at Sea World include the Australian children's programmes Toasted TV (since early 2007) and H2O: Just Add Water. The Shak was originally set at Sea World before being moved to WhiteWater World.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l History and Development - Sea World. Retrieved from the official website.
- ^ Parkz Database: Sea World Train. Retrieved from the Parkz Database.
- ^ a b Parkz Database: Viking’s Revenge Flume Ride. Retrieved from the Parkz Database.
- ^ Parkz Database: Thrillseeker. Retrieved from the Parkz Database.
- ^ a b Parkz Database: Corkscrew Rollercoaster. Retrieved from the Parkz Database.
- ^ Parkz Database: Sea World Monorail System. Retrieved from the Parkz Database.
- ^ a b Parkz Database: Lassiter’s Lost Mine Ride. Retrieved from the Parkz Database.
- ^ Parkz Database: Sky High Skyway. Retrieved from the Parkz Database.
- ^ Parkz Database: Sea World Eye. Retrieved from the Parkz Database.
- ^ Sesame Street Beach - Sea World. Retrieved from the official website.
- ^ Parkz Database: Sesame Street Beach. Retrieved from the Parkz Database.
- ^ Parkz Database: Jet Rescue. Retrieved from the Parkz Database.
- ^ a b Ray Reef | Sea World. Retrieved on 28.09.09 from the official website.
- ^ Wiped out by an act of piracy. Retrieved on 13.09.09 from the Gold Coast Bulletin.
- ^ Ocean Rescue | Sea World. Retrieved on 13.09.09 from the official website.
- ^ Planet SOS in 4-D. Retrieved on 13.09.09 from the official website.
- ^ Shark Attack | Sea World. Retrieved on 24.09.09 from the official website.
- ^ a b School Holiday Fun Guide (12 September 2010). The Sunday Mail.
- ^ Messenger, Jordan (22 November 2010). "Bermuda Triangle The Ride – RIP 1994 to 2010". GC Guy. http://gcguy.net/2010/11/22/bermuda-triangle-the-ride-rip-1994-to-2010/. Retrieved 23 November 2010.
- ^ "Attractions Maintenance - Sea World". MyFun. Archived from the original on 23 November 2010. http://www.webcitation.org/5uRvb9yAS. Retrieved 23 November 2010.
- ^ "Attraction Maintenance". MyFun. Archived from the original on 3 December 2010. http://www.webcitation.org/5ugjCfAB8. Retrieved 3 December 2010.
- ^ "What is happening...". Facebook. 3 December 2010. http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10150336287015582&id=283591200581. Retrieved 4 December 2010.
- ^ a b c d Promotional Cover for the Gold Coast Bulletin by Warner Village Theme Parks. Retrieved on 26.06.10 from Gold Coast Bulletin.
- ^ a b c "3 new attractions for Gold Coast theme parks". Gold Coast Bulletin. 14 July 2010. http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2010/07/14/238251_tourism-news.html. Retrieved 14 July 2010.
- ^ "Attractions Maintenance - Sea World". MyFun. http://seaworld.myfun.com.au/Attractions/Attractions-Maintenance.htm. Retrieved 1 September 2010. [dead link]
- ^ a b Elder, Jessica (15 December 2010). "Sea World's jet-powered summer thrills". Gold Coast Bulletin. http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2010/12/15/276865_gold-coast-theme-parks.html. Retrieved 19 December 2010.
- ^ a b Sea World (2011). "Pirates Unleashed". MyFun. Archived from the original on 17 August 2011. http://www.webcitation.org/6113IbLnN. Retrieved 17 August 2011.
- ^ a b Sea World (2011). "Jet Stunt Extreme". MyFun. Archived from the original on 17 August 2011. http://www.webcitation.org/6116UgQnu. Retrieved 17 August 2011.
- ^ "Nickelodeon". MyFun. 16 August 2011. Archived from the original on 17 August 2011. http://www.webcitation.org/61172dnrc. Retrieved 17 August 2011.
- ^ Lacey, Michelle (12 September 2011). "Sea World to hold SpongeBob attraction". Gold Coast Bulletin. http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2011/09/12/348761_gold-coast-theme-parks.html. Retrieved 19 September 2011.
- ^ a b "BIG 3". MyFun. Archived from the original on 1 November 2011. http://www.webcitation.org/62riqJme7. Retrieved 1 November 2011.
- ^ Jet Rescue | Sea World. Retrieved on 24-09-2009 from the official website.
- ^ Sea Viper | Sea World. Retrieved on 27-12-2009 from the official website.
- ^ Sea World Mono Rail | Sea World. Retrieved on 24-09-2009 from the official website.
- ^ Sesame Street Beach | Sea World. Retrieved on 24-09-2009 from the official website.
- ^ Sky High Skyway | Sea World. Retrieved on 24-09-2009 from the official website.
- ^ Viking's Revenge Flume Ride | Sea World. Retrieved on 24.09.09 from the official website.
- ^ a b Sea World (12 September 2011). "The World’s First SpongeBob SquarePants Parade Comes to Sea World!". Press Release. MyFun. http://mediacentre.myfun.com.au/press/press_details.cfm?pressid=288&location=7. Retrieved 19 September 2011.
- ^ a b Readings, Rob (12 September 2011). "Nickelodeon at Sea World". Nine Gold Coast News.
- ^ Fish Detectives | Sea World. Retrieved on 28-09-2009 from the official website.
- ^ Imagine | Sea World. Retrieved on 28-09-2009 from the official website.
- ^ Dolphin Nursery Pool | Sea World. Retrieved on 30-09-2009 from the official website.
- ^ Penguin Point | Sea World. Retrieved on 30-09-2009 from the official website.
- ^ Polar Bear Shores | Sea World. Retrieved on 30-09-2009 from the official website.
- ^ Rescue Point Lighthouse | Sea World. Retrieved on 30-09-2009 from official website: .
- ^ Seabird Rehabilitation Aviary | Sea World. Retrieved on 28-09-2009 from the official website.
- ^ Shark Bay | Sea World. Retrieved on 30.09.09 from official website.
- ^ Get up close and personal with marine animals on your family holiday at Sea World | Sea World. Retrieved on 13.06.10 from the official website.
- ^ Splash-out with Sea World's All New Pedal Boats! | Sea World. Retrieved on 30-09-2009 from the official website.
- ^ Sea World Books | Sea World. Retrieved on 13.06.10 from the official website.
- ^ Sea World Cruises | Sea World. Retrieved on 13.06.10 from the official website.
- ^ Sea World Whale Watch | Sea World. Retrieved on 13.06.10 from the official website.
- ^ Sea World Helicopters | Sea World. Retrieved on 13.06.10 from the official website.
- ^ Sea World Resort unveils new water park master plan. Retrieved on 13.06.10 from MyFun Media Centre.
- ^ Castaway Bay Construction Aerial. Retrieved on 06.05.10 from NearMap.
- ^ WhiteWater World - The SHAK. Retrieved on 13-09-2009 from WhiteWater World's official website.
Sea World AttractionsCastaway Bay (Battle Boats, Sky Climb, Sky Fortress) · Jet Rescue · Sea Viper · Sea World Monorail System · Sesame Street Beach · Sky High Skyway · Viking's Revenge Flume Ride ShowsDora's Best Friends Adventure (December 2012) · Fish Detectives · Happy Feet 3-D Experience · Imagine · Jet Stunt Extreme · SpongeBob ParadePants-tacular (December 2012) Marine AttractionsDolphin Nursery Pool · Penguin Encounter · Penguin Point · Polar Bear Shores · Ray Reef · Seabird Rehabilitation Aviary · Shark Bay Former attractionsBermuda Triangle · Pirates in 3D · Thrillseeker · More... Village Roadshow Theme Parks Current ProposedAfrican Safari World · Wet'n'Wild Aussie World · Wet'n'Wild Sydney Former Theme parks and water parks in Australia CurrentAdrenalin Park · Adventure Park · Adventure World · Aussie World · Corin Forest · Downunderland · Dreamworld · Fairy Park (Anakie) · Funfields · Greenhills Adventure Park · Gumbuya Park · Jamberoo Action Park · King Carnival · Kryal Castle · Luna Park, Melbourne · Luna Park Sydney · Magic Mountain · Manly Waterworks · Paronella Park · Scenic World · Sea World · The Beachouse · Toboggan Hill Park · Ton O Fun · Warner Bros. Movie World · Wet'n'Wild Water World · WhiteWater World ProposedAdventura Water Park Resort · Adventure Waters · African Safari World · Wet'n'Wild Sydney PastAfrican Lion Safari · Bullen's Animal World · Australiana Pioneer Village · Cairns Waterworks · Canberry Fair, Canberra · Cremorne Gardens · Dazzleland, Adelaide · Dinosaur world (Creswick) · Dreamland · El Caballo Blanco · Fantasy Glades · Fox Studios Australia · Hi-Lite Park · Leisureland Fair · Leyland Brothers World · Luna Park Glenelg · Luna Park, Redcliffe · Luna Park, Scarborough · Magic Kingdom, Sydney · Magic Mountain, Glenelg · Magic Mountain, Nobby Beach · Manly Fun Pier · Mt Druitt Waterworks · Old Sydney Town · O'Neill's Adventureland · Paradise Gardens (Sydney) · Sega World Sydney · Tomteland · White City (Perth) · White City (Sydney) · Wobbies World · Wonderland Sydney · World Expo Park Zoos, aquariums, and aviaries Types of zoos Conservation Lists Animals Other topics
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Sea World — Unternehmensform Corporation Gründung 21. März 1964 Unternehmenssitz … Deutsch Wikipedia
Sea World — Cet article concerne un parc de loisirs australien. Pour le groupe de parcs américains, voir SeaWorld. 27° 57′ 21″ S 153° 25′ … Wikipédia en Français
Sea-world — Seaworld, SeaWorld, Sea World may mean:* Sea World, marine themepark in Australia * SeaWorld, US chain of marine themeparks * SeaWorld Ohio, former SeaWorld * Deep Sea World, Scottish aquarium * 63 Seaworld, Korean aquariumea also* Marineland … Wikipedia
Sea World (Australien) — Ping, der Eisbär im Polar Bear Shores Sea World ist ein Meeres Themenpark an der Gold Coast im australischen Bundesstaat Queensland. Er … Deutsch Wikipedia
Sea World Apartment — (Розо,Доминика) Категория отеля: Адрес: Citronier, Розо, Доминика … Каталог отелей
Sea World Resort & Water Park — (Голд Кост,Австралия) Категория отеля: 4,5 звезд Адрес: Seaworld Drive … Каталог отелей
Sea World Resort (Formerly - Aqua Blu Resort) — (Хургада,Египет) Категория отеля: 4 звездочный отель Адрес … Каталог отелей
Sea World Resort & Spa — (Кизилагач,Турция) Категория отеля: 5 звездочный отель Адрес: Kizilagac Mevkii, Antalya … Каталог отелей
Deep Sea World — Date opened 1994 Location North Queensferry, Fife, Scotland Coordinates … Wikipedia
Super 8 Motel - Sea World Area - San Diego (San Diego) — Super 8 Motel Sea World Area San Diego country: United States, city: San Diego (Sea World) Super 8 Motel Sea World Area San Diego Super 8 Motel Sea World Area San Diego is located adjacent to Starbuck and Point Loma Shopping Centre. The property… … International hotels