Church of Christ
The term Church of Christ may refer to:
- One of several New Testament designations for a local band of people following the teachings of Jesus, whom they believed to be the Christ; only the plural form is found in the NT (e.g., Romans 16:16)
- the entire body of Christians throughout the world, regardless of denomination or tradition, i.e. the Christian Church or Christendom
- a body of Christians who continue to use only the New Testament as the source for Christian doctrine and practice and who consider themselves to be part of the original church (in contrast to Orthodox Christianity, Catholic Christianity, or Protestant Christianity.)
- the Eastern Orthodox or Roman Catholic churches (primarily used by members of these churches)
- Church bodies influenced by the Stone-Campbell Restoration Movement:
- Restoration Movement groups originating in Scotland and the U.S.
- Non-US Restoration Movement groups
- Churches of Christ in Australia
- Evangelical Christian Church in Canada
- Other historically related groups
- Denominations with a shared heritage in the Latter Day Saint movement, which include:
- Church of Christ (Latter Day Saints), the original name of the first Latter Day Saint church, founded in 1830 by Joseph Smith, Jr.
- Church of Christ (Temple Lot), a Latter Day Saint denomination based in Independence, Missouri
- Church of Christ with the Elijah Message, which broke away from the Temple Lot church in 1929
- Church of Christ at Halley's Bluff, which broke away from the Temple Lot church in 1932
- Church of Christ (Whitmerite), an extinct Latter Day Saint denomination
- Church of Christ (Brewsterite), an extinct Latter Day Saint denomination
- Church of Christ (Parrishite), an extinct Latter Day Saint denomination
- Latter Day Church of Christ, a Mormon fundamentalist denomination based in Utah
- And other denominations called the Church of Jesus Christ
- United Church of Christ, a mainline Protestant denomination in the United States amalgamated from four congregationalist groups in 1957 (See also Christian Connexion.)
- United Church of Christ – Congregational in the Marshall Islands, the largest religious group in the Marshall Islands
- Church of Christ, Scientist, also known as Christian Science
- Church of Christ in Congo, the administrative and spiritual union of denominations in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Iglesia ni Cristo (Filipino translation for "Church of Christ"), an independent church originating in the Philippines
- Church of Christ, Instrumental, also known as the Kelleyites, a Baptist denomination in Arkansas
- United Church of Christ in the Philippines, the largest Protestant group in the Philippines
- Church of Christ in Thailand, the largest Protestant Church in Thailand.
- Church of Christ (disambiguation) for individual buildings/congregations
- First Church of Christ (disambiguation)
- Churches of God General Conference (Winebrenner)
- Church of Jesus Christ (disambiguation)
This article includes a list of related items that share the same name (or similar names).
If an internal link incorrectly led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Church of Christ — or Scientist see CHRISTIAN SCIENCE n. * * * ▪ American Protestant denomination any of several conservative Protestant churches, found chiefly in the United States. They are strongest in parts of the Midwest and in the western and southern… … Universalium
Church of Christ — bezeichnet mehrere gleichnamige, im NRHP gelistete, Objekte: Church of Christ (Arkansas), NRHP Nr. 05000040 Church of Christ (Illinois), NRHP Nr. 06000675 Church of Christ (Massachusetts), NRHP Nr. 84000430 Diese Seite ist eine Begrif … Deutsch Wikipedia
Church of Christ — or Scientist see CHRISTIAN SCIENCE n … English World dictionary
Church of Christ — noun 1. a member church of the Churches of Christ. 2. any of various other Christian bodies. See United Church of Christ … Australian English dictionary
Church of Christ — (Philippines) See Iglesia ni Christo … Encyclopedia of Protestantism
Church of Christ — Scientist (with comma) is the formal name of the … Bryson’s dictionary for writers and editors
Church of Christ (Temple Lot) — Headquarters building (built in 1990) at Temple Lot Classification Latter Day Saint movement Orientation … Wikipedia
Church of Christ, Scientist — Classification Christian Geographical areas United States Founder Mary Baker Eddy Origin 1879 Boston, Massachusetts, USA Congregations … Wikipedia
Church of Christ (Fettingite) — Fetingite meetinghouse in Independence, Missouri Classification Latter Day Saint movement Orientation … Wikipedia
Church of Christ (Restored) — meetinghouse in Independence, Missouri Classification Latter Day Saint movement Orientation … Wikipedia