- Actuarial Society of India
The Actuarial Society of India, known as the ASI Or Intstitute of Actuaries of India known as IAI, is the sole professional body of actuaries in India, and was formed in September 1944.
Registration of the ASI
In 1979, it was admitted to the International Actuarial Association as a member.On 14 December 1982, it was formally registered under Registration of Literary, Scientific and Charitable Societies Act XXI of 1960.A certificate of registration of the ASI under section XII AA of Income Tax Act was received on the 14 March 1984.ASI is also registered under Public Charitable Trust Act 1950
Educational and ethical goals of the ASI
* To prepare "actuaries of tomorrow" who are adequately qualified and competent in the global context.
* To keep the level of competence on a continuing basis for fully qualified Actuaries at a high in the global context through CPD (Continuing Professional Development) and other programs.
* To serve the cause of public interest through Professional Code of Conduct and Disciplinary Procedures.
*Advancement of the Actuarial profession in India.
*Providing opportunities for interaction among members of the profession.
*Facilitating research, arranging lectures on relevant subjects.
*Providing facilities and guidance to those studying for the Actuarial exams.
The ASI was initially started as a non-examining body when Actuaries used to get qualified from
Institute of Actuariesor Faculty of Actuariesof the United Kingdom. The actuarial profession in India saw a downward trend in the early years of nationalization of the Indian insurance industry. This led to a reduction of actuarial input in both life insurance and general insurance management, and insignificant input in other areas such as pensions, insurance regulations, and academics. The downward trend resulted in a reduction of number of students taking actuarial exams. In the last few years, the actuarial profession in India has experienced tremendous growth. The ASI has grown as well with around 3,000 student members joining the society. The current president of ASI is Mr. Kannan; who is also the appointed actuary of SBI Life.
ASI is founding member of the
International Actuarial Association, the umbrella organization for all actuarial bodies across the world. The ASI is actively involved in the formulation of future education strategy of International Actuarial Association.
Who can become an actuary?
ASI has stipulated minimum standards to be met before a person can become its student member. These include graduation in statistics or mathematics, CA, ICWA, MBA etc. Also, any person with 85 or more marks in Mathematics at 10+2 level can also apply to become a student. Any person with minimum 18 years of age and having a high degree of aptitude for mathematics and statistics can take up this course and become an actuary. Generally, first class graduates or postgraduates in
mathematics, statistics, or econometricswill be in a better position than others to qualify as actuaries.
Qualification in India
To qualify as an actuary, a candidate has to pass all examinations in the prescribed subjects. In addition, he has to comply with other criteria such as experience requirement and attendance at a professionalism course prescribed for the purpose.
Duration of the course of study
There is no fixed duration to complete the course. Since all the 16 subjects prescribed are to be cleared before one is awarded the Fellowship, continued and sustained effort is necessary to complete the course. Single minded devotion, total dedication and a systematic approach to problems are the qualities that will enable a person to qualify as an actuary within a reasonable time.
Actuarial educational model in India
The subjects for the examinations can be categorized in to four groups.
* The first group Comprises the CT ( Core Technical) series; these involve development of theory of actuarial science and applications of mathematics and statistics to actuarial applications such as life insurance, general insurance, employee benefits, investment and other areas. An introduction to economics, financial economics and financial reporting is also included at this stage. Although most part of the course is somewhat theoretical, the exercise and the question in the examination are practical in nature as they reflect real life situations of the area of work to which the subject is applicable. There are in total 8 CT series papers and all are compulsory.
* The second group comprises CA ( Core Applications) series subjects. CA3 subject is mean to develop skills of communication of technical aspect of the CT series subjects in simple language to non-technical persons; here again the stress in examination question is demonstration of the skills of communications in real life environment. CA1 deals with the ideas underlying assets, liabilities and
asset-liability management. Also there is a modelling course CA2. This is a practical course and hence does not involve written examination. CA series subjects are also compulsory. On completing CT and CA series students can get title of AASI.
* Next up are ST ( Specialist Technical) series examinations. Here, students can opt for any 2 of the 6 subjects being offered. The aim is to ensure that the students gain expertise in their related fields.
* Finally , there is one SA ( Specialist Application) series subject to be taken. Here again, there are 6 subjects to choose from.
The actuarial education model, therefore, is ingrained with work and application and therefore substantially these educations beyond CT series subjects takes place in work environment. The success through examinations is linked to corresponding work experience and insight, thus gained. The examinations given at CT series level take place, for most of the students in work environment.
Career progress is linked to progress in examination and it is very likely that by the time a student completes 300 series, he/she would be occupying management of level of responsibilities.
Graduates and postgraduates eligible to take up actuarial examinations are typically recruited by actuarial employers and placed as actuarial trainees.
With a view to emphasizing the kind of actuarial education model, it may be stated here that it is like educating medical doctors, where education needs to take place in work environment of a hospital.
Actuarial present value
Actuaries usually belong to one or more professional bodies, often national in scope. A list may be found here:
* [http://www.actuariesindia.org/Faq/faq.html FAQs on Actuary]
* [http://www.actuariesindia.org Actuarial Society of India]
url = http://www.actuariesindia.org/
title = Actuarial Society Of India Now called as Institute of Actuaries of India
accessdate = 2006-04-03
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
International Actuarial Association — Infobox Organization name = International Actuarial Association size = 143 formation = 1895 headquarters = Ottawa, Canada language = English, French leader title = President leader name = David G. Hartman website = http://www.actuaries.orgThe… … Wikipedia
The Marine and General Mutual Life Assurance Society — Type Mutual Traded as MGM Assurance Industry Financial Services Founded 1852 (1852) Founder(s) … Wikipedia
Actuary — Damage from Hurricane Katrina. Actuaries need to estimate long term averages of such damage in order to accurately price property insurance and set appropriate reserves. Occupation Names Actuary … Wikipedia
Indian Statistical Institute — Infobox University name = Indian Statistical Institute motto = Unity in diversity established = 17 December, 1931 type = Public staff = 1017 faculty = 255 head label = Director head = Sankar K. Pal Dean = A. Bagchi students = 375 undergrad = 110… … Wikipedia
Management consulting — indicates both the industry and practice of helping organizations improve their performance primarily through the analysis of existing organizational problems and development of plans for improvement. Organizations hire the services of management … Wikipedia
Chartered Insurance Institute — Coordinates: 51°35′41″N 0°01′17″E / 51.594761°N 0.021271°E / 51.594761; 0.021271 … Wikipedia
Vehicle insurance — Vehicle insurance, in exchange for a premium, will pay valid claims arising out of traffic collisions Vehicle insurance (also known as auto insurance, gap insurance, car insurance, or motor insurance) is insurance purchased for cars, trucks,… … Wikipedia
Insurance Services Office — Insurance Services Office, Inc. (ISO) is a provider of data, underwriting, risk management and legal/regulatory services to property casualty insurers and other clients. Headquartered in Jersey City, New Jersey, the organization serves clients… … Wikipedia
Old Mutual — plc Type Public company Traded as LSE: OML JSE … Wikipedia
Germany — /jerr meuh nee/, n. a republic in central Europe: after World War II divided into four zones, British, French, U.S., and Soviet, and in 1949 into East Germany and West Germany; East and West Germany were reunited in 1990. 84,068,216; 137,852 sq.… … Universalium